Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:26 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,288,650 times

Advertisements

Thank you Laura, for the helpful advice. I'm torn by where I want to live. I'll be visiting Tennessee this spring as that is their high allergy season.

Then I am also drawn to Maine and Florida because of their fish. I love salmon but I also love crab legs & oysters. I also have to be somewhere with water, either a lake or the ocean.

I'm not desperate but really don't want to spend another winter here if I don't have to. This winter has been really tough on me. It's the first one I was really out & about in since my back operation & my back has really been hurting. So, I have spent a lot of time inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thank you Laura, for the helpful advice. I'm torn by where I want to live. I'll be visiting Tennessee this spring as that is their high allergy season.

Then I am also drawn to Maine and Florida because of their fish. I love salmon but I also love crab legs & oysters. I also have to be somewhere with water, either a lake or the ocean.

I'm not desperate but really don't want to spend another winter here if I don't have to. This winter has been really tough on me. It's the first one I was really out & about in since my back operation & my back has really been hurting. So, I have spent a lot of time inside.
I hope they have a lot of lakes in Tennessee 'cause you're surely not gonna be anywhere near an ocean!

This is actually the first time I've heard anyone use "fish" as a criteria. Not "fishing", but fish as food. And why would you be drawn to Maine if the winter bothers you? I mean, not my business, but you're all over the map (ha ha, see what I did there?)!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:20 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I hope they have a lot of lakes in Tennessee 'cause you're surely not gonna be anywhere near an ocean!

This is actually the first time I've heard anyone use "fish" as a criteria. Not "fishing", but fish as food. And why would you be drawn to Maine if the winter bothers you? I mean, not my business, but you're all over the map (ha ha, see what I did there?)!

Actually there are a lot of lakes and ponds but the biggie is the river system. You can actually go from Knoxville TN to Mobile AL or New Orleans LA by boat. Granted a trip like that will take days but.... you can still do it. In fact you can make it from NYC up the Hudson river. Through the Erie Canal and back down through the middle of the country to Knoxville should you desire.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

I know. You see, it's not actually the winter as I have always had winter projects to do, but where I live now is very boring.

I liked Florida when I visited but it was in winter. Maine is because of the fishing. Tennessee is because my brother has lived there many years and would like me to be close.

As you can see, my life is up in the air. Since my son died I no longer have ties to Minnesota. I'm not sure what I want to do or where I want to be. What I do know is that I love sea food and I like fishing.

Avalon, right now I am a lost soul trying to find my way.

Last edited by meo92953; 02-25-2016 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:

Where I live in Tennessee (near Knoxville), we have what I like to call "grey winters." We don't get much snow at all but if you are accustomed to a lot of sunshine, this may not suit you. You would laugh at the amount of snow that gets things closed. Typically, it snows overnight and you can still see some of the grass in the morning. By the afternoon the next day, it's all melted. Although Tennessee is advertised as a four season state, temperature-wise, I find the summer to be very long (and humid). It is not uncommon to be outdoors in short sleeves in March and early October. That makes the Spring and Fall short. Maybe it's because I'm old but the temperature here always feels like it's at least 10 degrees warmer than the number. I'm originally from Long Island, NY and then Maryland. I put my new shovel (for digging out after the snow plow comes through) in the trunk of my car when I left Maryland and I have yet to use it after almost 9 years here. This year, I haven't even used the windshield ice scraper yet but that may have a lot to do with being retired and not having to go out early in the morning. We have had tornado warnings since I have been here.

I don't eat anything that comes out of the water even though I used to fish a lot but as far as I can tell, this is not a place for seafood lovers.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 AM

So much to think about. I'm committed to visiting Tennessee this spring as I promised my brother. I'll be able to make a decision after my visit.

COL is also a high priority. I like having enough to be able to afford extras if I want them. Tennessee has a low col. But I do plan on making certain I will be content with my decision. It may take me awhile to find my spot. I've got time.

Where I am now is my mother's home town. I moved here to help my sister take care of mom after she developed dementia. Mom passed peacefully three years ago. I stayed because it turned out that I had to have a back operation & it took over a year before I could even take care of myself.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:36 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
I know. You see, it's not actually the winter as I have always had winter projects to do, but where I live now is very boring.

I liked Florida when I visited but it was in winter. Maine is because of the fishing. Tennessee is because my brother has lived there many years and would like me to be close.

As you can see, my life is up in the air. Since my son died I no longer have ties to Minnesota. I'm not sure what I want to do or where I want to be. What I do know is that I love sea food and I like fishing.

Avalon, right now I am a lost soul trying to find my way.
Move to Port Isabel Texas. Lots of sun, ocean, sea food, low cost of living.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I might check into that. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:52 AM

107 posts, read 100,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Oh I looked it up, it's across the bridge from South Padre Island. I knew that name sounded familiar. A friend of mine had a condo there in the '90's and it was so cute, I just fell in love with it. It was a nice area, I really liked it. I believe they get lots of Spring Break kids there, although I was there in February and it wasn't bad at all, maybe it wasn't college vacation that week.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Oh I looked it up, it's across the bridge from South Padre Island. I knew that name sounded familiar. A friend of mine had a condo there in the '90's and it was so cute, I just fell in love with it. It was a nice area, I really liked it. I believe they get lots of Spring Break kids there, although I was there in February and it wasn't bad at all, maybe it wasn't college vacation that week.
Yes, there is lots of traffic on the island during spring break and summer, but Port Isabel isn't as bad.

Ve been a few times with my family. Really surprised at how much the area has grown. They even have outlet malls now! Lol

It does get warm, but or some reason, doesn't feel as humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement