Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 PM

536 posts, read 846,773 times

Advertisements

Interesting idea, but I do not "visualize" goals. I take steps, baby steps sometimes, but do something to get where I need to go. Retirement, which I plan in a few years, has so many factors--so I chip away at them one by one. I intend to keep my options open til I finally decide, so I can't visualize a specific place or setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,459,285 times
I have read this entire thread..........

To me this is just another "trendy idea " that has no real merit. Dreaming is just that.

I would file this one along with "mindfulness " and "hot yoga " as just more silly bafflegab.

JiM B.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:35 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,089,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

To me this is just another "trendy idea " that has no real merit. Dreaming is just that.

I would file this one along with "mindfulness " and "hot yoga " as just more silly bafflegab.

JiM B.
I have been dreaming and visualizing retirement for the last couple of decades. Your post gave me pause to think and reflect on the eight plus years I have been retired and compared it to my pre retirement visualizing. The results are a bigggggg Bada Bing. Now conceptualizing the next twenty years including health care services.i

Last edited by TuborgP; 02-23-2016 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:

JiM B.
I actually set goals, attainable goals. None are "dreams" or "wishes".

What I have now in my future folder are house plans, small house plans.
Some I've already modified the floor plan via software (keep original and modified).
Eventually I'll be moving from my 45 acre ranch and my next home will be a new one, small but functional. And when that happens I want to already have the plan in mind for what I want.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,994,461 times
We can only successfully visualize what we can afford.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,305,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This visualization technique may help with planning for some people but definitely not for me. I do set goals and make plans but being a realist, I set goals which are high but 'reachable' with interval assessment and adjustments (either the goals or my level of efforts).

Regarding planning for retirement, I like the test drive approach. I'm quoting key suggestions from a retirement planning article below with my comments/report in blue.

How to Test-Drive Your Retirement - US News
I did all of these things too. I am a realist myself and I have met and exceeded all of my financial retirement goals.

The vision board works for many different things. I have a cat with a tumor that I was told is likely a fibrosarcoma. There wasn't much hope. I put up a picture of her when she was young and cut out the words "healthy" and put the word under the picture. She has had the tumor now for two years and the vet says it may not be cancer at all.
So many things that I put on my board have come true. Actually all but one so far. I am not saying the vision board will cure an illness, but it sometimes it works miracles.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,305,907 times
Quote:

JiM B.
Say what you want but it works for me. When you focus on an outcome, it is much more likely to happen. This is a proven theory.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,089,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We can only successfully visualize what we can afford.
That is part of the visualizing and conceptualizing it gives you a target to strive for being able to afford.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 PM

720 posts, read 767,135 times
Quote:

JiM B.

Don't know how long "trends" are, I first learned about vision boards or treasure maps in the 80's. I guess it's a trend that's here to stay, and it has worked for me and many I know.

I don't need to convince you though, I'm convinced and that's enough for me

Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM

812 posts, read 797,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I make it 4 more. DW and I have been visualizing. Me I am seeing a very nice boat in a warm climate. Wife sees blue skies, mountains and worry free life. The two almost work together. There is always the worry that the boat might not start.

Boat, warm climate, sunshine, mountains...have you considered Arizona? Before you laugh about the boat part:

Roosevelt Lake Marina Roosevelt Lake AZ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_P..._Regional_Park

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement