Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM

4,882 posts, read 2,687,536 times

Advertisements

try bicycle riding..seriously..it'll get ya outside..nice way to exercise..nice way to see different things..it's not expensive (other than the cost of a bike)..it really can help change your outlook..give it a whirl.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:37 AM

761 posts, read 833,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, that was a helpful post. Too bad you don't have enough spare time to do a little work on your capacity to feel empathy, but congrats on the 38 year-old GF.

I am not familiar with the OP the way some of you seem to be, but I am familiar with fighting depression and having no close family available to turn to. Yes, it can be tiresome when someone keeps posting about the same stuff, but depression can really take a person down for the count. There are days when it's all I can do to get out of bed and get dressed. I do try to counter my depression with meds - I also take wellbutrin, and it helps - some. I also have embarked on a walking routine, and that helps more than the wellbutrin does. My house is not always the the most uncluttered or tidy, but I manage to prevent it from looking like a hoarder's den by throwing everything I don't feel like dealing with in a large shed around back of my house. I make a major effort to reach out to others because I know that living in complete isolation would be fatal for me. Tonight I'm really depressed because somehow I lost my cell phone when I went to the grocery store yesterday. I've called the store to see if it had been turned in - it hadn't; looked all over the house; called my number from my roomie's phone - no answer; and called the local police who told me that by now my cell was probably somewhere out on the near-by Navajo Rez somewhere. Great. I hope whoever took it at least calls their retired grandma in Tuba City to cheer her up. Because the last thing I need right now is to try to come up with the money for a new phone (I don't have any stocks to cash in). So, here I am up in the middle of the night feeling sorry for myself, and I also feel pretty sympathetic for the OP. Life can just get a person down sometimes - let's face it. No need to beat up on poor OP because she's going through a rough spell.

I do have it on the best of evidence that the sun WILL rise in the morning, no matter how black it is at the moment. I hope OP picks up her own phone tomorrow and reaches out for help. There's quite a few meds available for depression and sometimes you have to try several before you finally discover one that helps. Go buy yourself some small indulgence, OP - just a bar of nice lavendor soap will help you cheer up a bit - I'm big on cheap thrills like that - no need to go on a shopping spree. Reach out a hand and perform some small act of kindness for a stranger. Thank a check-out clerk for being so helpful; give a homeless person a dollar (you never know - he might really just want that cup of coffee. Stuff like that. I find that when I start looking at ways I can help others, it stops me from thinking about me - even if just for a few moments. What a relief! Hang in there, Spring is coming, and we have a great bunch of comedians running for president this year. The election news is always good for a few laughs!

All the best,
- Rambler

Don't you just love the internet? People have the right to judge others (sort of like you did with me) without knowing them and hiding behind a keyboard in cyberspace, anonymously somewhere. I am probably one of the most compassionate people going and my intent was to try to suggest alternatives and not to commiserate. I think that has been done quite enough in this thread.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I honestly think you have me mixed up with someone else. Perhaps that person in the mirror?

No, no one has you mixed up with anyone else. Seriously. Not.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you Loriact, that is something I really do need to do.

You've said this kind of thing so many times when things are suggested to you. "Something I really need to do"

Do you ever do any of it? Don't cry wolf if you aren't going to follow through.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,660,995 times
OP, go to a shelter and adopt a dog.

Seriously.

It will offer companionship
It will get you to exercise
It's something to take care of (kind of like having kids again!)

Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM

1,042 posts, read 875,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, that was a helpful post. Too bad you don't have enough spare time to do a little work on your capacity to feel empathy, but congrats on the 38 year-old GF.

I do have it on the best of evidence that the sun WILL rise in the morning, no matter how black it is at the moment. I hope OP picks up her own phone tomorrow and reaches out for help. There's quite a few meds available for depression and sometimes you have to try several before you finally discover one that helps. Go buy yourself some small indulgence, OP - just a bar of nice lavendor soap will help you cheer up a bit - I'm big on cheap thrills like that - no need to go on a shopping spree. Reach out a hand and perform some small act of kindness for a stranger. Thank a check-out clerk for being so helpful; give a homeless person a dollar (you never know - he might really just want that cup of coffee. Stuff like that. I find that when I start looking at ways I can help others, it stops me from thinking about me - even if just for a few moments. What a relief! Hang in there, Spring is coming, and we have a great bunch of comedians running for president this year. The election news is always good for a few laughs!

All the best,
- Rambler

You are awesome! Whereabouts in Colorado do you live?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,252,264 times
Not sure what the weather has been like back on the east coast. But please make it a point to get outside and enjoy some sunshine when you can.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 AM

5,332 posts, read 6,031,838 times
"Lost my last sister in September 2015, lost two close friends in February..." I cannot imagine anyone (well, except for a few CD posters) who would not be overwhelmed with sadness from this recent loss. Add your apparent chronic depression and boom! No wonder you are struggling and find yourself in a rut.

Having also suffered from clinical depression and having a very strong tendency to isolate myself, I (for the first time on CD?) have no helpful suggestions. Yes, you need to get out of your apartment but you already know that.

Ignore the negative posters, unless it makes you feel a little better to lash out then by all means, let it rip. Try to remember that there is a reason many of the posters spend a huge amount of time on C-D. It seems to me that most of the prolific posters live solitary lives (even those who have partners) but just can't admit it.

I sincerely hope that this particular dark period (and Meo's, too) is soon gone.

~ Lenora

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You've said this kind of thing so many times when things are suggested to you. "Something I really need to do"

Do you ever do any of it? Don't cry wolf if you aren't going to follow through.

Clearly, you don't understand depression. But surely you could just not read her posts if they bother you so much that you feel the need to come in and take a shot at her?

NY...it's war, you know. And you keep at the battle and that's good. Do that walk thing....roll out of bed in the morning and take it....before you let your brain come fully awake, because it will try and talk you out of it. Try not to listen to yourself. That voice that says, "nah"...just go.

Later, try some slow, gentle stretching. After your body has moved, because it's harder to stretch first thing in the morning. Get the blood moving in the back, core, arms.

And a cup of tea sometime during the day. There's something about tea that feels comforting.

Lastly, don't forget to drink lots of water.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,301,322 times
For depression, 5-HTP is a miracle pill. You cannot take it while you are on any other medications for depression. I promise you, it works.
But you may not be depressed, you might just be in a rut. There is a difference.

Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps - iHerb.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement