Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

When should a person retire? At what age? 40’s 50’s 60’s 70’s or even 80’s

If they are financially ok to?
If their health is starting to fail them?
If they can’t find another job?
If they just don’t like to work any longer?
If they need to stay home and care for a love one?

When???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

When???
Any of the above are good ages... and good reasons. It's up to the individual to decide which reasons mean the most to him (although it works better if people take care of the first reason before considering any others... )

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Have I provided for my future? Yes, go on. No, keep working
Do I really enjoy what I am doing? No go on. Yes, keep working.
Am i still healthy enough to work(and I mean serious here)? No go on. Yes, keep working.
Do I have a critical need like a relative to care for that will not leave me impoverished if I stop working to help? Yes, go on. Cant do it financially, keep working and find someway to work around it.

If you need to work to eat, keep looking and reduce your requirements. If you qualify for SS Disability, do it.
If you just hate to work, but you cannot afford to quit or would have no health insurance or protection, get over it.

Everyone is in a different place in life with different requirements and needs.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Why even ask?

Why "should" a person retire - if they don't want to?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
The answer to this question is when you are ready and can afford to. Simple as that. The answer is different for everybody.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

When???
I do not see why a person's health should be a determining factor in when they should retire.

I worked hard in my career-field and was very dedicated. I worked in an arduous environment that was very isolated. Many of my workmates have died from either industrial accidents, cancers from various exposures to chemicals, and strokes.

We lived very frugally and invested a lot.

I survived and prospered in that environment and after 20-years I qualified for their pension. In fact after having worked in that career-field for 20-years, I was forced to retire, as I had became simply too elderly to be considered competitive in that work environment. So they retired me when I was 42.

I have been offered other jobs since my retirement.

Why should I?

We live frugally, we have my pension, we have our investment income.

Why should I define myself by a career?

I do have a list of minor 'disabilities', but none of them are visible. And none of them stop me from doing things.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
When you're good and ready to do it.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,733 times
i say pick the highest ---8o

You never can be ready with the every growing non socialized welfare system. Can't Americans just learn from their neighbors and allies you may ask. No because we are too big to learn from the little ones.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I can financially retire at 46 years of age. I don't like work anymore - the people that I work with (supervise) have worn me out. I could live in Key West, FLA for the rest of my life, content with a one-bedroom apartment and a beat up car.

I'm tempted, but if/when I get to 70, 80 yrs of age, I don't want to regret the decision.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I can financially retire at 46 years of age. I don't like work anymore - the people that I work with (supervise) have worn me out. I could live in Key West, FLA for the rest of my life, content with a one-bedroom apartment and a beat up car.

I'm tempted, but if/when I get to 70, 80 yrs of age, I don't want to regret the decision.
You won't.

You might find that you like sailing, or tending bar.

I thought about a sandy beach. Instead I moved out into a forest. I herd a few livestock, tend a garden, and sell produce at an Organic Farmer's Market.

You and I, can each 'retire' on our financial situations.

We can walk completely away from the corporate structure, slow down and enjoy life.

We can enjoy every day. Sleep in when we want to.

Have friends who we like, rather being surrounded with work associates whom we hate.

I can not imagine living this higher quality lifestyle and decades from now looking back and regretting it.

My gross income took a serious dip. But my pressures, my stress, are gone. I live today a much better quality of life.

You can too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement