Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,622,123 times

Advertisements

Well, here's what I learned. I spent most of 2013 investigating a lot of places, and chose an area I've visited frequently as a tourist. It's SO beautiful - trees, hills, a rushing river!

I found after living there a while that I was bored to death, as tourist activities don't have much to do with daily life. There weren't sufficient volunteer or part time work opportunities, and there were only a very limited variety of intellectual opportunities. And socially I did not fit into the community at all.

In 2015 I moved to another community that I had considered earlier. It's pretty, but not nearly as beautiful as my first choice. However, it is socially and intellectually more appropriate for me. I LOVE it here!

So my lesson is: pick a place that will provide you the kind of social, intellectual, AND environmental life you want for happiness on a daily basis.

Beauty is as beauty does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandia99 View Post
We live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in the Rocky Mountains in a small town. Everything is massively expensive and we have to drive 60 miles one way to another state to get decent fruits and vegetables that last longer than three days. The library puts five year old books in the new book section and the restaurants and service are really poor. Housing prices are extremely high and traffic gets very slow and congested when the tourists arrive. The weather is gorgeous and it is a photographer's dream with amazing outdoor recreation opportunities but it isn't the right place for us.
Funny. As I read your post I thought you were going to say you loved it!!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:19 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,323,665 times
It really comes down to priorities and your own individual personality. I'm not one to get bored easily and I don't need to go to professional sports events, eat at fancy restaurants or attend the opera to be happy. I'm most happy at home, working on projects, the house, playing with the dogs, going for walks.
A small quaint town within a pretty setting, maybe nestled in the foothills is my goal. Clean air, a nearby stream or river and some local amenities are preferred. I'm a boring person.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, here's what I learned. I spent most of 2013 investigating a lot of places, and chose an area I've visited frequently as a tourist. It's SO beautiful - trees, hills, a rushing river!

I found after living there a while that I was bored to death, as tourist activities don't have much to do with daily life. There weren't sufficient volunteer or part time work opportunities, and there were only a very limited variety of intellectual opportunities. And socially I did not fit into the community at all.

In 2015 I moved to another community that I had considered earlier. It's pretty, but not nearly as beautiful as my first choice. However, it is socially and intellectually more appropriate for me. I LOVE it here!

So my lesson is: pick a place that will provide you the kind of social, intellectual, AND environmental life you want for happiness on a daily basis.

Beauty is as beauty does.
Exactly how I feel. You can always travel and frankly if you think being able to see such and such out your window is all it takes to make you happy....well it's may want part but not the largest part for sure...

Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 AM

332 posts, read 287,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Funny. As I read your post I thought you were going to say you loved it!!
I did too, I was excited to hear where it is, I want to live in/near Mountains, lived in Montana for several years and miss it daily.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,376,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
We all have our personal priorities on what makes a place desirable. For us, it's the beach. We moved to a low COL area just miles from the beach. We walk on the beach several times a week. I need a place that stays green all year. I hated winters in the north when everything was bare and gray for months. We can tolerate heat much more than the cold. Thankfully we are very compatible on our needs!!
Where is it?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
As a Colorado ranch kid... (Estes Park) view is essential for retirement home. (Finally have time to sit and enjoy it)

Plenty of water in my WA income tax free, PNW Columbia River National Scenic Area home, and 20 min from all the culture I can handle in Portland, OR. (And sales tax free shopping) + ez and cheap international airport.

Plenty of sun in my scenic TEX Hill Country view home, 20 - 30 min from a wealth of festivals and events.

Both places were dirt cheap (<$100,000) Both are rented out full time with cabin / seperate living space for me.

$89 airfare fare vs. 2300 mile drive., so each place has a $35 car that runs on free cooking oil.

Property Taxes on WA joint kill me, but rent covers that. (Taxes Were $800/yr, now $14,400/ yr + up another 19% for next year..). TX property taxes are $1800/ yr. I get more per month in remt on that joint. (Good ROI)

Nice medium sized college towns in scenic areas are good to consider, or a National Lab town that is scenic ( very good / active retirement communities)

WY would be my first choice, but I do not have 100% or even 50% of the say in that. Maybe later....If / when elder care is needed... I have signed up for WY Pioneer home.... It is on the grounds of Thermopolis Hot Springs Park. That will do!

Spearfish, Sandpoint, Columbia Falls, Thompson Falls, Cashmere..... Lots of wonderful places to consider in / near Northern Rockies. (I don't go east of Missouri River from May till Oct.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-10-2016 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM

11 posts, read 9,934 times
Living in a scenic tourist area really is much different than just visiting it. My friend lives in a modest 1200 square ft house with no garage (worth millions) right on our whitewater river and in summer she regularly deals with loud drunk river rafters in her backyard. I'm not sure that is worth the amazing view of river and mountains off her deck. Plus marijuana tourism here in Colorado has changed things as well.

I really think there is much less sense of community and neighborliness in an area where many people are short-term visitors.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 12,191,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
wow, Burkmere. There are things in life that are more important than money. Some of us have a deep connection to our environment. For me it's my love of the whales, the turtles, the fish and coral reef. I feel very blessed to have been given a second chance in life. Maybe you missed that in my post, but I can tell you for sure that I'll be happy there.
Maybe you missed the part of Burkmere's post where he said it was a good thing we all had different likes. I don't think he meant his response to your preferences as a personal attack, or even a criticism of your choices. I'd see it as a "different strokes for different folks" kind of perspective. We are all glad you will be happy at your choice of retirement location, it shouldn't be otherwise. But it's not everyone's preference, and that's a good thing too. It'd get mighty crowded out there if we all joined you looking at those whales and turtles.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,377,062 times
We live on Cape Cod, very pretty, lots to do, very expensive. It's all worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement