Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 06:32 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,979,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNTexas View Post
The Federal courts just recently ruled that it is discriminatory to require voters to provide a State authorized photo ID when going to the polls to vote - even though these IDs can be obtained free of charge.

By that measure, doesn't this cell phone requirement discriminate against Social Security recipients? If you don't have a "text-enabled" cell phone, it's going to cost some money in order to comply.

Yes, I would say there is a good argument to made that this new policy IS discriminatory.

While I hate dividing the world into so many groups so they can each claim their own form of discrimination and 'reparations', in this case I think this has been done here (again, by government). Is it a result of a deliberate action to discriminate or just incompetence .. I don't know .. but I hope we will see that many begin to appeal to whatever political level they feel they can actually reach out to and be heard. Start at the bottom and move up the ladder. It would be nice to see even those who can comply (i.e. have text enabled cellphones) would support those of us who don't by speaking to their representatives and spreading the word that this doesn't work for many of us.

It is laudable to want to protect the data and your personal access, etc. but there are either no ways to do that that are foolproof these days or there are many ways to go about it. This solution was too restrictive. I would love to see their thought process as to why there are NO other ways to get the same temporary code and whether they truly expect that all in the world these days have access to the only allowable means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:53 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
What is puzzling is the information on their website first states this will be the only way to get a code but farther down it offers alternative instructions.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What is puzzling is the information on their website first states this will be the only way to get a code but farther down it offers alternative instructions.
Yep. There is always a way around man made rules. Now if it was a force of nature forget it.

I was in the military for over 20 years. People would say, it's against the rules or that can't be done etc. hey, if a human being made that rule, a human being can un- make it.

People can still get paper checks from the SSA even though they told us that was going to end.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,216,937 times
I went on site last night to get my info

I gave them my cell phone number and was told I would receive a text within 10 minutes with a code to access my account.
I never received the text

now what do I do?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM

5,332 posts, read 6,031,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is only one way to get a code. The site provides a link to different ways one can contact SSA for assistance.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/MoreIn...nAboutMFA.html

https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/

Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There is only one way to get a code. The site provides a link to different ways one can contact SSA for assistance.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/MoreIn...nAboutMFA.html

https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/
I see now. I read it differently but this makes sense. It looks like it's going to be quite the bureaucratic nightmare.

Yesterday I had only wanted to log on to the SS website to read about the changes. Even though it was not yet August, it wouldn't let me through with just my ID and password until I gave it my cell phone number to get the code. I had no problems. The text came instantly to my cell phone.

I was nervous though because I just got my Smart Phone last February and I'm trying to teach myself how to use it via a book. I've never been a text-er on my previous "dumb-phone." I wasn't even certain where to find the text on this phone but I managed. Talk about feeling being in the dark!

I just don't get how the government can be so adamant about this cell phone business. I live in an over 62 community and many people here don't even have cell phones because they don't want them or can't afford them. Some have severe arthritis and can't manipulate the controls even with the accessibility features. There are also those who are a bit mentally less acute than they used to be and don't like the idea of even having to deal with the simple Senior phones that are available.

I just think it's ironic that many of the people for whom SS is geared to help are those who are the very ones who will be troubled by this new system.

We have a computer person who teaches classes and helps with those who want to learn or to just go online. I was thinking of maybe getting together with him and seeing if we can't set up some kind of thing where those who have been successful with this could help those who may be having problems with it.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,321,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I went on site last night to get my info

I gave them my cell phone number and was told I would receive a text within 10 minutes with a code to access my account.
I never received the text

now what do I do?

Same here.
I tried it Saturday, Sunday, and now Monday to no avail.
I either get the message that I'll get a text within two minutes but no text ever arrives, or I get a message like service not available, try again later. This Monday morning at about 10:00 AM EDT I got the service not available message.
I wonder if their system is overloaded due to a high volume of people trying to test it out.

Has anyone successfully received the text message on these last three days or so?

There is now a message on the SSA web site stating that the new authentication is not working for Verizon Wireless.

From the SSA website:

Quote:
We have added an extra layer of security for our customers when they interact with us online using the my Social Security suite of services. my Social Security account holders are now required to use their cell phone, in addition to their username and password, as an additional authentication factor during online registration and every sign in. We are working to fix a problem that is preventing Verizon wireless customers from receiving the cell phone security code. Verizon wireless customers are unable to access their personal my Social Security account at this time. Read more about the new authentication process…

Last edited by Thulsa; 08-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Found answer - edit to save other people some trouble.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,778,102 times
Not that big of a deal having to get the code off the cell phone. My incoming texts pop with a message when I open the phone and all I have to do is read the screen. So not a big deal really but they should have an option for landline robo call with a verbal code. Really what is the big deal it's just a phone number landline or cell right?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 AM

494 posts, read 286,900 times
So, I went to SS website just now and gave them my cell phone number AND they were unable to complete my sign-in with the cell phone number. They now have my cell phone number and I can't get into their system to view my account. Somehow, I knew this was going to happen...

Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Wow! I guess it was just dumb luck I got my code instantly yesterday. But I am not surprised at the glitches others are running into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement