Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

We have spent the last three mornings on the beach as we so often do in warm weather. About to shower and than off to a new restaurant to try. We often eat out and get two meals out of it with left overs. Evening walks either in the shopping area, board walk or a neighboring beach. After 4-5 days back to Raleigh for enjoying life there and taking care of things. Yup, no regrets as we shall be back again soon. Probably have only been in Raleigh about four weekends since April. Here, there, somewhere but the beach is precious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Default Noches bellisima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The other thing to remember is that at night your gorgeous view turns BLACK. Some people forget about that. I prefer a city view with lights at night.
No, not at all. If I look straight ahead out my front door at night I see the sparkling lights of the largest planned community in the Caribbean, Palmas del Mar about 200 feet below me and a mile down the coast. If I look to my left I see the distant lights of small villages and inhabited boats on the west coast of Palmas del Mar. If I walk to the edge of my property at the fenceline I can see across Santiago Bay at Punta Santiagos little village lights and the spinning red lights of the Naguabo wind power mills. Not all coastal locations are just looking out at an empty black seascapes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108834...6/27908653476/

Also, you need to see a full moon on a clear windless night with a glassy sea:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108834...6/27663937600/

Old 09-11-2016, 07:41 AM

28 posts, read 26,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What's not to like? Here's my view from my living room sofa.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-view-sofa.jpg
Beautiful!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM

126 posts, read 120,945 times
The only downside I can see about living near the beach is that when we lived on an island in SC, our insurance was double what it would have been a bit inland.

Hilton Head has many houses on the beach. The only other downside of HH for me is the traffic, which is too intense for me.

But we went there to shop and go to the movies most weekends.

If it weren't for my heat-phobic husband, I'd still be there--it's a lovely way to live. And yeah, I went to the beach most days, if only to walk my dogs.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Anyone who retired to the beach anywhere from Miami to Cape Lookout is probably pondering that decision right now. I keep going back and forth between moving, having a second home (unlikely; more than I want to spend), having a good sized camping trailer with a 6+6 storage/use arrangement at a campground that has a community (lots of long term residents, good recreational facilities and some social activities) or just making trips to rentals a few times per winter. I am leaning toward the campground idea

Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbal View Post
Why lie, I'm too lazy to search and see if this topic has been discussed recently. LOL

Still working now but I dream of moving to a place like Hilton Head or some ocean front community in Florida for retirement. I don't like cold weather but what are the downsides? What's your story?
I moved inland as I am not a beach person. Might ask the question on Saturday after Mathew passes.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:18 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Can't even imagine the panic around hurricane Matthew this weekend. Makes me think part-time renting would be the way to go. At least you would have an easy way to evacuate or be able to avoid such dangerous weather. It will take a long time to clean up the destruction.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 PM

15 posts, read 24,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Anyone who retired to the beach anywhere from Miami to Cape Lookout is probably pondering that decision right now. I keep going back and forth between moving, having a second home (unlikely; more than I want to spend), having a good sized camping trailer with a 6+6 storage/use arrangement at a campground that has a community (lots of long term residents, good recreational facilities and some social activities) or just making trips to rentals a few times per winter. I am leaning toward the campground idea

That's not a bad idea. My wife will probably want to live near our daughters and son if they stay in Virginia but I'd like to go South for the winter and travel too. With a camper we could do all of that and just to bug them, park and live in the camper in the kids' driveway for the Summer. LOL

Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
I'll just bet a whole lot of people who live at the beach wish they didn't right now. Friends in Hilton Head evacuated. Family who just sold their beach house in Florida are glad they did. Oh, the water is beautiful, the view and sound of the waves lovely. But I find the older I get the less I can sit out in the sun and not get exhausted. DH on the other hand could live in the sand and I go along just to humor him, but my goodness it gets old sometimes.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:45 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I use a beach umbrella. And would use other sizes of umbrellas when needed.

Nice and cooler and protected while still enjoying sea air, sounds of waves, ambience, beauty, ocean, sunshine-filled days.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-07-2016 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement