Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

I've made it through several financial downturns in my life. Black Monday in 1987, the dot-com bust at the turn of the century, the 9-11 downturn in 2001 and the Great Recession. Made it through all of them to retirement by taking a deep breath and trying to assess the situation with as much logic as possible. One thing I always try to do especially is tune out the babble from all the "experts". Most of it is not helpful and only confusing to the average person.

Currently I've structured our holdings to be able to absorb a financial downturn lasting several years before having to start selling the stock portion. Now as far as the meteor/pandemic/solar flare type of events, I honestly feel that there isn't much I can do about them and the odds are pretty long of them happening, so I don't worry about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:01 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I am amazed at the responses on this forum. If this had been posted on the Economics forum, there would have been an endless number of responses from the gloom and doomers and the lunatic fringe preppers. It could be partly the age of the forum participants, but most of us at or in retirement are highly concerned about preserving assets.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I am not sure there is any one thing one can do to guarantee they cannot be bit in the a$$ by the economy. My answer has always been invest in solid, diversified mutual funds, hold some blue chip stock, and let it ride.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Black swans are just as normal as deer, giraffes and white swans. Awful metaphor if you're trying to describe something uncommon.
Makes me think of a character in a beautiful ballet. Shame it's now being used for such a bad situaition.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:42 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
My advice to the OP?

Turn off the TV.

I, too, am tired of the media trying to strike fear. They bask in those ratings.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM

501 posts, read 776,897 times
Read through most of this thread and would tend to agree that, as George Harrison put it, "all things must pass". Granted that, I do give a bit more thought to the effects of man-made crisis' (not much to do about a meteor after all) than I used to when I was working. Personal solution has been to keep 1.5-2 years worth of baseline expenses in a savings acct to cover what doesn't come from SS and annuity income streams.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Makes me think of a character in a beautiful ballet.
Swan Lake; Odile, von Rothbart's daughter.

In the ballet, as in investment, the temptation is to accord attention to the black swan, ultimately to one's undoing and chagrin.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am amazed at the responses on this forum. If this had been posted on the Economics forum, there would have been an endless number of responses from the gloom and doomers and the lunatic fringe preppers. It could be partly the age of the forum participants, but most of us at or in retirement are highly concerned about preserving assets.
I agree that the participants on this forum are more level handed and have more common sense than some of the other forums. That's one reason why you see posts on the Retirement forum that may seem out of place. Who wants to go to Renting, Personal Finance, Work and Employment, etc. to get advice when there are such oddball answers and answers that have little application to seniors? But younger people are right to be concerned about black swan events. Social Security may be less solid for them and not as many will have pensions to fall back on. But yes, they have also been watching too many zombie movies.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:25 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I agree that the participants on this forum are more level handed and have more common sense than some of the other forums. That's one reason why you see posts on the Retirement forum that may seem out of place. Who wants to go to Renting, Personal Finance, Work and Employment, etc. to get advice when there are such oddball answers and answers that have little application to seniors? But younger people are right to be concerned about black swan events. Social Security may be less solid for them and not as many will have pensions to fall back on. But yes, they have also been watching too many zombie movies.
Of course there is a horror movie aura about it. Many black swan events are very frightening. Things can be disrupted for a good while, on the financial front or others. It's not peasant to think about, but possibilities need to be considered and addressed as best as we reasonably can.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Also, because we are older, there are more people here like myself who experienced the dreaded black swan ordeals and lived to tell the tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement