Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those that live in over 55 active communites, when is the best age to make a move and feel accep
From 60 to 70 10 62.50%
From 70 to 75 2 12.50%
76 and up 2 12.50%
Other 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 06:05 PM

6,892 posts, read 11,284,189 times

Advertisements

Looking back from what you know now, what would the best age to actually make the move and feel accepted in your new community?

In our case, we want to feel accepted and feel like we fit in somewhere rather than just a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:53 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,449,477 times
We moved to a 55+ community when I was 66 and she was 55. We were among the younger people, but guess what you don't stay "young". Now at 82 and 81 we are among the older folks. We would never go back to an all age community.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM

888 posts, read 892,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We moved to a 55+ community when I was 66 and she was 55. We were among the younger people, but guess what you don't stay "young". Now at 82 and 81 we are among the older folks. We would never go back to an all age community.
I'm sorry but I don't understand the age progression. You were 66 and she was 55 when you moved in. Now 16 years later you're 82 and she is 81. That's 26 years of aging for your DW in only 16 years.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,615,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand the age progression. You were 66 and she was 55 when you moved in. Now 16 years later you're 82 and she is 81. That's 26 years of aging for your DW in only 16 years.
He probably meant she was 65, not 55.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:55 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,402,550 times
I thought that the best age to move into a 55+ community was 53.

Honestly, being the youngest person in the neighborhood has been a blessing and I have had more friends here than in any place I have lived.

That is especially the case if you love to drive and have alarger car and like to head places ...

Old 08-07-2016, 12:17 AM

44,700 posts, read 61,874,800 times
It doesn't matter the age as long as one of you meet the minimum requirement of 55 in our community. I don't think age matters, it's 'attitude' that matters most. A lot of newbies come in and want to change the status quo and not try to fit in. Then they gripe and some eventually move.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,389,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
It doesn't matter the age as long as one of you meet the minimum requirement of 55 in our community. I don't think age matters, it's 'attitude' that matters most. A lot of newbies come in and want to change the status quo and not try to fit in. Then they gripe and some eventually move.
That's us, the newbies. It's been five years and we still haven't caught up to the average age. Our goal is to sell and move to an un-bubbled, all-age neighborhood where we can be part of a community, barking dogs, crying babies and all.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:50 AM

110 posts, read 111,021 times
I think that it is all a matter of preference. 55+ communities are not for everyone. As Seeriously mentioned, some people enjoy the barking dogs, crying babies and all of the stuff that comes with it. When I show property in the 55+ communities, they are typically very quiet and you find most of the people at the clubhouse, if there is one. I know that there are many activities available to the residents depending on how the community is set up.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:32 PM

150 posts, read 235,075 times
I joke that the 55+ community where I'm renting in is Under the Dome. It's clearly a bubble, and I can appreciate that the bubble is exactly what people here are paying for. They want the gate, they want the clubhouse, they want the planned activities, they want the HOA. And frankly, they have the money to do that.

I personally don't see myself staying here after the year lease is up. I'm not a HOA kinda gal, and unless you take part in the amenities and activities, the HOA fees are wasted money.

It's fine for a rental while I look around, but I don't see it as a long-term option for me.

YMMV.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:08 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,829,103 times
Next spring when I retire, I am pretty convinced about going into a 55+ community in the area to which I will be moving. Main reason is that I am by myself and realize that I need to be a part of something larger than myself.

The place I'm looking to move into is a complex where you own the stick-built house and lease the land it sits upon. The monthly lease fee includes land property tax, snow removal, water, sewer, trash, wifi, rv storage, and use of the clubhouse amenities, (swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, DVD rental library, pickle ball, theater, gymnasium, etc.) After you delete all the things you get, it only costs about $150 a month to be there.

One can take part as much or as little as one wants. I don't expect to partake very often, but it is comforting to know that people will know me and if I don't make an appearance for a couple of weeks, I'll know someone will check on me and find my cold body laying peacefully on the bed.

The other, secondary option is in a single-family neighborhood. It's a nicer area, ascetically, but it much more difficult to get a feeling of community. A bit more expensive too. We'll see what available next spring after I sell my current house and move. Only problem with that 55+ community is that they are almost built out. I may not get the floorplan I want but will instead have to purchase a resale.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement