Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

the last thing you ever want to do is use a credit line for cash . taking out anymore than you have to so you can make loan payments in a down market increases sequence risk and can burn excessive amounts of money up if you are spending down ..

if you are not spending down then trying to make loan payments too if you lost your job or can't work is not a great idea .

there is nothing like having your own cash for tough times .

the most efficiant mix in retirement is 2 years cash and 100% equity's . not something most retirees want to stomach .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-15-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
So my other thought has been (remember my retirement assets are not in the market) to use a line of credit to take draws when the market is down rather than sell.
I would not do it. I just paid off a 3% mortgage and I like being debt free and that was pretty low interest.

What's wrong with allocating some of your savings to fixed income and just selling those in a "down" market?

I say "down" market (in quotes) because it is not easy to identify when that is. Is that a certain amount of drop from a previous high, or is it against a trend line, or is it so many months of negative growth?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 AM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I would not do it. I just paid off a 3% mortgage and I like being debt free and that was pretty low interest.

What's wrong with allocating some of your savings to fixed income and just selling those in a "down" market?

I say "down" market (in quotes) because it is not easy to identify when that is. Is that a certain amount of drop from a previous high, or is it against a trend line, or is it so many months of negative growth?
Well I'm newly debt-free, again, like you and you're absolutely correct, it's a great feeling. But over many years I've had good experiences using an equity line of credit as a cash management tool. Your suggestion is a good one. Again, remember my retirement assets are not market-based so I was just adding to continue this good discussion. If you have no experience using an equity line of credit like I have, then it may seem uncomfortable to you. For success, it takes someone who has a proven ability to draw it down and then pay it back as quickly as possible and to be able to assume some interest rate risk. In almost 15 years of using a $300K line of credit and getting it to as high as about $160K, I never had a regret any time I took a draw and was amazed at how swiftly I worked it down.

But things could be different in retirement with a lower income than working years. I don't anticipate I'll take any draws on my LOC moving forward. Debt free is wonderful. Now trying what to do with excess cash is another story particularly when spouse doesn't want in the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement