Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 PM

51 posts, read 48,462 times

Advertisements

Let me say right off the bat: This is NOT a question or comment about gun ownership. I don't care if you own guns or not. This question is directed at people who like hiking, trail running, XC skiing, or mountain biking in QUIET places. Now that we have that out of the way:

For those of you in Midwestern states who enjoy quiet, self-propelled sports (mentioned above), and indulge in those activities frequently, AND are able to enjoy them in quiet surroundings - especially with an absence of gunfire - please, where do you live? I wouldn't rule out locations in the East as well, but for now I'm focusing on the upper Midwest.

For the record, I grew up shooting guns: BB/pellet guns, .22 rifles, .410, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge shotguns. That was then, this is now. At this stage of my life, I have no interest in guns. All I want is to be able to enjoy my oxygen-fueled sports in peace and quiet.

So, aerobically-inclined retirees, if you live in a quiet place, and wouldn't mind "spilling the beans" about where you live, I'd be grateful for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Carmel, Indiana

Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I'm confused, do you have problems with excessive gunfire where you live? I've done a lot of hiking and running over the years in different places and have only had one time where I ran into some shooters and that was probably 10 years ago.

Maybe you don't need a major relocation, just move 10-20 miles. I see you are in Colorado, I've done a ton of hiking and mountain biking around the state and never once heard gunfire.

If you enjoy hiking, trail running, etc, Colorado is about a good of a place you can be. I live in the Midwest, near KC, and there are not many trails here. Or interesting trails I should say. Unless you are tired of Colorado, I would recommend relocating within the state.

Some outliers for outdoor beauty in the Midwest. The black hills in South Dakota, northern Minnesota, the lakes are beautiful, I've done a lot of canoeing and hiking there, the Ozarks in SW Missouri. Let's see, Northern Michigan is supposed to be very pretty, but I haven't been there yet. Maybe around the Mississippi River. I remember St Louis having quite a bit of natural beauty. Most of those places don't have a lot of people. Parts of the Ozarks can get very busy, in fact I don't like Branson because of how crowded it gets.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Move to Maine.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
Let me say right off the bat: This is NOT a question or comment about gun ownership. I don't care if you own guns or not. This question is directed at people who like hiking, trail running, XC skiing, or mountain biking in QUIET places. Now that we have that out of the way:

For those of you in Midwestern states who enjoy quiet, self-propelled sports (mentioned above), and indulge in those activities frequently, AND are able to enjoy them in quiet surroundings - especially with an absence of gunfire - please, where do you live? I wouldn't rule out locations in the East as well, but for now I'm focusing on the upper Midwest.

For the record, I grew up shooting guns: BB/pellet guns, .22 rifles, .410, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge shotguns. That was then, this is now. At this stage of my life, I have no interest in guns. All I want is to be able to enjoy my oxygen-fueled sports in peace and quiet.

So, aerobically-inclined retirees, if you live in a quiet place, and wouldn't mind "spilling the beans" about where you live, I'd be grateful for the information.
It was weird when I was in Missouri and found out that people could hunt in state parks! Here in Texas, you have to have your own land, have friends would land or lease land to hunt.

We do have open fields behind my house and during dove season, it's boom, boom, boom. You get used to it.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 AM

51 posts, read 48,462 times
@Mattks: Yea, I know Colorado offers much of what I enjoy. Plenty of trails, that's for sure! But it's gotten far too crowded for my tastes, and a hike on a local trail yesterday was (once again) permeated with the constant BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of some kind of weaponry being enjoyed across the road from the park. Again, I'm not against guns, I just have a personal preference for hearing the birds and the wind whispering through the treetops, rather than gunfire.

And yes, I'm seriously looking at Northern Minnesota and Northern Michigan. Superior/Duluth, Marquette, etc. seem like they'd fit the bill. Thanks for the additional votes for those places.

To those who suggest places in warmer climes (Texas, Missouri, etc.), I appreciate the info, but I can't live without winter cold and snow. Yes, I'm crazy, I actually like winter!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I wouldn't consider Missouri a warm climate, it still gets snow every year. But the summers can get hot.

The bad thing about northern Minnesota was the mosquitos. It was unbelievably bad in some areas.

i have a brother who moved to Colorado a few years ago and he spent a few months back here (Eastern Kansas) this year and he couldn't wait to get back to Colorado.

The Midwest isn't as boring as many portray, but if you are a serious outdoor enthusiast, I'm not sure if you will be happy.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Lived in the Midwest most of my life and I have never encountered ANY parks or recreation areas where the air is ringing with gun shots, maybe downtown Chicago or Detroit.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 9,920 times
I'm in Colorado and I've never heard gunfire on trails. On the other hand, I live in a small rural town and I hear people shooting guns often from my house, including last night at about ten pm. I'm guess I'm getting used to it but it still startles me.

The quietest place I ever lived was New Mexico. The silence was deafening.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,720 times
Okoboji, Iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement