Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 AM

7,344 posts, read 6,970,200 times

Advertisements

Best to notify Social Security ASAP.
Sometimes it takes a while to process the paper work .
I got started a year in advance, and was so glad I did , because the company I worked for did mass lay offs and fortunately had a good severance package that lasted till my retirement kicked in.
If you wait too late ,unless you've got a great bank account, it might be touch and go fro a while till it kicks in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Also, retirement lasts a long time these days. You may discover that you want -- or even need -- another full- or part-time job, and that employer may require a reference from the employer where you worked 20-30 years. Don't burn bridges.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:46 AM

14,477 posts, read 14,443,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
What difference does it make? Either way you are gone. And you still get your pension.
I'm not aware of any employers that lay employees off without either two weeks notice or two weeks severance pay.

I guess this is a point we will both just have to disagree on. My daughter is seventeen and has been working a fast food job at Wendy's. School is starting and I want her focused on her studies and not on work. Therefore, she is quitting. Even in her case, I insisted that she give two weeks notice to her employer. Her last day of work is next Tuesday.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,862,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
"What difference does it make?" A man of integrity and honor will do what is 'right', even when nobody is looking or nobody cares.

Honor and integrity don't exist in the business world. If that's important to you, volunteer for a charity.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,026,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Honor and integrity don't exist in the business world. If that's important to you, volunteer for a charity.
For all intents and purposes, charities are businesses.

The fact that you think there is no honor or integrity in the business worlds speaks volumes about you.....

Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM

3,421 posts, read 7,814,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not aware of any employers that lay employees off without either two weeks notice or two weeks severance pay.
You would hope so.

I worked for (now retired) a department in local government that ran 24/7. We "subcontracted" a small part of our operation that we are legally bound to perform to a very prominent, very large local employer that was interested in doing it. This required the local government to give a license to the subcontractor to perform these services.

Without any notice or warning the president of the firm that subcontracted-very well known locally-walked into the office of the top boss at the government on a Friday at 4PM. He surrendered the license, quitting effective immediately, and immediately laid off their employees performing this function. There were about a dozen and they had no recourse, no chance to transfer to another department. Nothing. Poof. Job gone.

Everyone is now scrambling late Friday afternoon to get extra people and resources in place to cover the weekend and beyond. It was a madhouse. Ultimately we hired some of those twelve but that takes time and cannot be done on a Friday afternoon.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:18 AM

6,814 posts, read 3,418,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The fact that you think there is no honor or integrity in the business worlds speaks volumes about you.....
That's a bit harsh. Lots of people have been burned by their companies through no fault of their own. It can leave a bad taste and change someone's attitude, and understandably so.

I've been there, and while it didn't sour my attitude completely, it is a little difficult to believe some of the smoke they blow up your rear.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,220,563 times
I haven't decided how much lead time to give…my immediate boss, versus informing HR, which actually handles the separating package paperwork.

A couple of people have let the immediate boss know "they might be leaving this year." But haven't told HR anything yet.
IF I have the boss I have now I might do that. HR likes 60 days, but that's not mandatory.

I'll be timing retirement with a house sale. So the plan now is to get a closing date on the house. Tell HR, and if I close before I'm retired move into a hotel for a few weeks. I'm also thinking about selling about a year before I leave. but that doesn't make sense, because my mortgage is only 1,300 a month and rent for that time would be (even in today's dollars) 1,800 a month.

One way gets the house sale out of the way and done. So when I DO retire I get just get in my car and go.
The other way, I'm dealing with the house sale, and sort of last minute, quickly telling HR, and I'm retired in just 60 days. It "feels" more rushed and busy. But I don't know if the other option is worth paying $500 a month!!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:49 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,140,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The other way, I'm dealing with the house sale, and sort of last minute, quickly telling HR, and I'm retired in just 60 days. It "feels" more rushed and busy. But I don't know if the other option is worth paying $500 a month!!

I put my house on the market, waited until the buyer had loan approval, and then notified my employer. I was able to give over 30 days notice. As far as I am concerned that is plenty under any circumstances. It actually turned out that we could not get out of the house by the closing date and we made arrangements to rent from the new owner for a week or so. HR had told me that they needed 60 days to set up all of the retirement arrangements. I have no idea why they wanted that period of time but it made no difference. I only had a small pension coming and I had no issue waiting for the paperwork to clear.

I would advise you make arrangements which match your needs. When I was a short timer waiting to retire, I spent time organizing and documenting pending issues. Management never made any effort to make sure my tasks were covered. I would imagine there was a scrabble to cover everything when I left.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:06 PM

10,929 posts, read 11,772,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
Within the next two weeks is the time frame that I've set to give my employer notice of my retiring. As I'm 'key staff' I am trying to be as fair as possible and want to ensure a smooth transition. An 8 month notice should accomplish that.

But I'm completely freaking out. We've been planning this moment for years and now that it's finally at hand I'm scared stupid. Quitting seems so final. I always thought I'd relish the day and while I really do want to, we ave plans and money in place, jeez, this is hard. To date, deciding to retire is the toughest decision I've ever had to make.

What was your experience when 'the moment of truth' arrived for you?
I forgot what day of the week it was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement