Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,785,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Are you staying where you currently live? Or will you be relocating? And why?
Moving 1,200 miles away from the area where I was born and have lived my whole life to the home of my ancestors. Why? For the adventure, to experience life in a different ecosystem/environment, and the lower cost-of-living.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

I wonder how many of you moving to the west realize they have water problems?
That is for sure. It takes over 200 days of drizzle to deliver my 100" we_t coast precip / yr.
I have a Pacific Rain forest in my backyard with 300ft tall trees (several hundred ft from my house!, so I don't get smashed in a wind storm.

But it is August, so... (If I were home...)
  1. 50F sleeping nights (no AC required in last 30 yrs in car or home)
  2. Fresh edible landscape / wild berries
  3. Plentiful Salmon and steelhead nearby
  4. Free concerts in the park every night
  5. Free county fair
  6. Rhubarb a plenty
  7. Apples (early varieties)
  8. Plums
  9. No bugs or snakes
  10. (Plenty of slugs the size of boa const)
  11. Homemade Ice Cream (every Sunday Night)
  12. Roses the size of dinner plates (over 1000 varieties in Portland experimental gardens (2x))...

Our 80 days / yr of pleasure

Then... By election day we are hosed (for next 200+ days). Or more on Presidential cycles. (a good year to be GONE from USA
Now to find a non-USA destination w/ HC till we get to age 65

Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
I left. I couldn't stand the cold and shoveling/mowing raking. I moved to a warmer place with very little yard work of any kind. Lower cost of living, MUCH lower taxes. And there's a LOT more to do here too!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,548,256 times
@StealthRabbit
Sometimes I think you must live at CrownPoint Vista House, and you are Jason Bourne either on assignment or checking up on your safe houses.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
@StealthRabbit
Sometimes I think you must live at CrownPoint Vista House, and you are Jason Bourne either on assignment or checking up on your safe houses.
Don't live there, but can see it down below me.

Jason probably didn't toss his TV out in 1968, but my last program WAS Hogan's Heroes. (True adventure)

14,600 posts, I'm outta here (to travel and find 'home' )

Adios, enjoy the journey!

Welcome home!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 PM

21,567 posts, read 8,743,307 times
We live in San Francisco and have no plans to relocate. We like it here, our income is adequate to maintain our lifestyle, and the house is paid for. It's a small house (2/1, 1100 sq. ft.), but it has woodsy and ocean views and is across the street from a park. We have no family obligations so we could live anywhere we like and have twice the house for half the money, but why? We appreciate San Francisco's moderate climate, access to world-class medical care, culture, restaurants and shopping. The only reason we'd move would be to an over 55 community or a condo if maintaining the house got to be too much. Even then we'd find a place in or near San Francisco if we can because to us, this is home.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,387,820 times
Moving 1250 miles from the high desert of the Southwest to the high desert of Central Oregon - hey, I couldn't make a drastic change. Moving to be near family, less heat, more four season, smaller city, closer to coast, and a needed change after 45 years in the same city. I have just a year to go before retirement. Also my 16 year old cat passed away last month. She had been sick for a couple of years and there was no way I could sell my house and relocate with her in such poor health. So retirement and relocation are starting to feel more real and within reach.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,292,737 times
We moved from Birmingham, AL to Santa Fe, NM in 2014. This was an increase in cost of living, but was also an increase in quality of life. My husband was within a few years of retirement, but I had 10+ more years to work. Rather than stay in Birmingham for ten more years we decided to go ahead and make the move if I could find a job. I found a job, and here we are.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,005,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We will move eventually because we will not need the house & yard at some point.
We will NOT go south as we love all four seasons.
We might go into the nearest large city so we can walk to all the events we enjoy.
(regarding your 2nd sentence ) ......if it is the 4 seasons you want, you can still move quite a bit south and still experience 4 true seasons with a milder winter and a much longer beautiful fall.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,785,638 times
No move for us. We stay put. The location is very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement