Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM

37,595 posts, read 61,699,429 times

Advertisements

Every winter grocery store parking lots and post office parking lots become loaded with parked cars left running. Nobody is in them, and the keys are in them. It is fairly common practice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,453,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We live in an upper middle class ...

I honestly can't see any reason not to lock your car/house. It's as easy as leaving things unlocked. Robyn
We live in the sticks... If I have keys for a lock / car (often I don't). It leave them in the door / car ignition. I find that Much easier to know where the keys are. If I am at my house....&... If I lock the door, the keys are in it in case someone wants to come in and use the phone or fridge. Or if the coroner needs to come in and 'check me out'!

Recently we had some kids visit and they 'misplaced' a tractor key. That tractor no longer requires a key

When dating, I lived in town for a couple yrs and future spouse wondered why keys were in the door, but the door was locked

"That way you know if I am home, no keys? = not home".

Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,050,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I don't think people leave their doors unlocked anywhere in the NYC area or even where I am - Edina, MN (Mpls suburb - tier 1) - or any other city of any size.
Remembered a story: When I was in high school I was temporarily staying at a friend's house after my family moved to another city. This was a small town - pop of about 12,000.

One morning we all woke up and found a very elderly woman sleeping on the couch. Surrounding her were decorator pillows that had holes cut in them. This woman lived in the next block and during the night she went for a walk - because people didn't lock doors she walked into this house when she got tired. On the couch were several decorator pillows with "buttons" on them. This woman went in the kitchen, found a knife and proceeded to cut the buttons out of the pillows - she thought the pillows were potatoes and she was cutting the eyes out of the potatoes.

This was many years ago and there was little to no crime in this town but this a good example of why it's a good idea to lock your doors no matter where you live.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:44 PM

249 posts, read 268,141 times
I admit we don't lock our house doors during the day, we lock them at night. But when we leave during the day, they stay unlocked.

I also leave one car in my driveway usually unlocked, it is just easier when I go to get in it.

I might do it differently when we move, it works for now.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:55 AM

6,640 posts, read 5,052,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
I also leave one car in my driveway usually unlocked, it is just easier when I go to get in it.

I tend to leave my car unlocked in the driveway as long as it's not too close to the street (longish driveway). My theory being it's an old car and parts are hard to get for it. If someone wants to rummage through it (there's really only change in the ashtray to steal), I'd rather they don't break a window to do so.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,564,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
I admit we don't lock our house doors during the day, we lock them at night. But when we leave during the day, they stay unlocked.

How old is your car? And what kind of car is it?

Our car is a 2010 model Lexus SUV. With "keyless" entry. When you enter the car - all you have to do to unlock the door is pull the door handle (with the key in your pocket). All you have to do to lock it is press "here" on the door handle. And it goes "click". How does your car work? Robyn

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM

37,595 posts, read 61,699,429 times
My Dw's car has a fob. I have a van and a truck, both use keys that I tend to leave in the vehicles. Our house door has not been locked since the day I hung the doors, in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement