Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 PM

249 posts, read 268,344 times

Advertisements

Some cities collect all the trash together then sort it out themselves. My city does that, everything goes in one can, I love it. I also love that the employees come down my driveway in a small truck to empty my trash cans from behind my sideyard gate. They shuttle around my city in small trucks to a big truck stationed nearby, no big trash trucks on my cul de sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
What does that even mean? That's the most annoying line and I've never understood it. I wish I knew how much I was going to take home every month.
Being on a fixed income in retirement means you have a modest income (social security and/or pension) with little or no COLA increases to keep up with inflation, and not enough (if any) savings/investments to pay for emergencies or even extras. Thus your income is fixed while all your expenses keep going up over time.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,982,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
The thing I miss the most about working is the daily interaction with like-minded people. In retirement, I still considered myself a techie, a perpetual learner and a doer. I have enjoyed socializing with people of all age groups. However, as I get older and especially now in retirement, I have found the company of some people my age or older enervating or tiresome. I think I should go back to school again to stimulate my mind, to find people who embrace life instead of shunning it, to live the present and think about the future instead of retreating to the past or clinging on to the illusional 'good old days'!!!
I am five years away from retirement and starting to plan now for that phase of my life. Your comments are exactly what concerns me as I approach my own eventual retirement. Reduced social interaction, reduced learning opportunities, and too many whiners who had 45 years to plan for retirement since they entered adulthood - and chose not to.

Quote:
How about when the kids you raised come back from a broken relationship with their kids??
I saw this happen to a friend of mine. An older daughter and her children moved back in with Mon & Dad who were in, or about to enter, their 70's. My friend and his wife had to discard many item they had collected over the years, and which had great significance to them, to accommodate the unexpectedly larger household. At a time in their lives where they cherished their independence, had maybe hoped/expected they could rely on their children if anything unfortunate happened to each other, they were suddenly hosting a family over which they had no say. More like running a B&B with guests that never pay or leave.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 09-11-2016 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I saw this happen to a friend of mine. An older daughter and her children moved back in with Mon & Dad who were in, or about to enter, their 70's. My friend and his wife had to discard many item they had collected over the years, and which had great significance to them, to accommodate the unexpectedly larger household. .........

Another great reason to downsize and move on after retirement. When I retired our youngest daughter was just graduating from college. Almost all of her friends moved back home. We told her she was welcome but the house was sold and we would be traveling in an RV.

Actually, I thought I might have to support her while she found work. Instead she moved across country and had a job within a month. Without a free place to live that older daughter would have to rise to the occasion and establish a new life.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Cut the obligations!!
Easier said than done.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,982,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Another great reason to downsize and move on after retirement. When I retired our youngest daughter was just graduating from college. Almost all of her friends moved back home. We told her she was welcome but the house was sold and we would be traveling in an RV.

Actually, I thought I might have to support her while she found work. Instead she moved across country and had a job within a month. Without a free place to live that older daughter would have to rise to the occasion and establish a new life.
From the time my sisters and I were about 12 years old or so, our mother would always tell us. "After you are grown up you are more than welcome to live here, but you WILL pay rent."

I took her at her word and bought a small house the same month I graduated college.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,670,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That sounds like hoarding - not recycling .

FWIW - we now have very zippy recycling. The kind with big plastic recycling cans that the truck picks up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNS4dzNrtXw

The cans come in 2 sizes - large (32 gallon) and huge (64 gallon). The recycling people come once a week. We also have twice a week regular garbage pickup - and once a week yard trash pickup. Sometimes it seems as if our lives revolve around our trash - remembering what to put out on which nights . Robyn
That was a great video, relaxing and pleasant. Here's a more varied one with plenty of action. Garbage trucks are great.

I have one garbage pickup per week; there's no recycling. However, if I'm up and outside I can see the truck come up the hill to my house. The truck here has a scoop, but the driver gets out and moves the dumpster over to the truck. No stinking pavement here.

If you like to watch interesting vehicles and relax, try the second. The third is just fun. You'll notice that my taste is rather eclectic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTUjiLxzDQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5V...uPPis&index=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmoHFuHpvA

Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,591,436 times
Friends that are never available for doing things like meeting for lunch, golfing, shopping, whatever because they are in ''perpetual babysitting mode'' with grand kids, great grand kids, and complaining that they have no free time to do things they'd hoped to do in their retirement.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,499,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
Some cities collect all the trash together then sort it out themselves. My city does that, everything goes in one can, I love it. I also love that the employees come down my driveway in a small truck to empty my trash cans from behind my sideyard gate. They shuttle around my city in small trucks to a big truck stationed nearby, no big trash trucks on my cul de sac.
Many actually never sort it, it is a feel good for citizens to think that recycling is happening, but instead it all goes to landfill.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM

37,836 posts, read 41,187,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
If you are like me, there are minor things about your new retired status or new retirement location that bother you. Please share!
I'm not newly retired but:

1. Flexible work schedules. We used to have 5 days to ourselves as retirees. Now we have all of these workers home on Fridays because they work 4 ten hour days instead of 5 eight hour days.

2. Wives who are attached at the hip to their husbands. These women who were more independent in the workforce now don't make a move in retirement without the husband tagging along.

3. AARP - go away! I get more junk mail from them than all my other junk mail combined...and this is an election year so that's a lot of junk mail. Take a hint AARP, stop killing trees! The more you bother me isn't going to make me want you more.

4. Dealing with the Social Security Administration about Social Security (they initiated contact)...and I'm not even on Social Security and never will be. I must admit though, initially dealing with OPM, when I first retired was worse. That one required me getting my Congressman involved to straighten it out.

The biggest issue for me is health related (mobility) but that's not retirement specific. I like my retirement location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement