Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times

Advertisements

Have many invested their retirement assets in rent houses or apartment complexes? If so how has this panned out? Were you able to use IRA funds to invest as equity in a rental property and borrow against it? Is that allowed? What kinds of returns have you experienced on these type assets and any lessons learned? Do you manage the real estate or have someone do so should be a factor in results you see, including how active you are in doing maintenance for these assets.

I searched but did not find a recent active thread on point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and sharing experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 PM

896 posts, read 1,141,158 times
I hope this helps give you some reading until other posters come along

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...es-income.html

Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Have many invested their retirement assets in rent houses or apartment complexes? If so how has this panned out? Were you able to use IRA funds to invest as equity in a rental property and borrow against it? Is that allowed? What kinds of returns have you experienced on these type assets and any lessons learned? Do you manage the real estate or have someone do so should be a factor in results you see, including how active you are in doing maintenance for these assets.

From 1980 until 2001, we bought one apartment complex [Tri-plex, Four-plex, Five-plex] at each of my duty stations. We totaled four of them. We used them for rapid equity growth and to shelter my salary income from taxes.

When I retired in 2001 we consolidated our holdings to one property. We refinanced it to extract the equity and we used that capital to buy our homestead. In '08 all of our tenants lost their jobs, we spent all of our remaining savings trying to carry that property. When we ran out of money we were forced into bankruptcy and we lost that property.

My pension is small, we have no debt, we are comfortable. We just received an inheritance, with it we are going right back into apartments.

From 1940 until 2008 my family [meaning both sets of my grandparents, my parents, then myself] owned rentals and they worked great for each of us.

I do not know if you can use IRA money in this manner.

In this area, $200k can buy you a nice four-plex. Rent levels range from $500 to $800 for 1 and 2 bdrm units. Even if you set your rent low at $500 for each unit, you can gross $2,000/month, or $24,000/year.

You can go for $700 or $800, but your units will sit empty longer, and when you do get tenants, they will be more likely to leave when they find a cheaper unit. Going high is much riskier. Many landlords start low to bring tenants in quickly, then every year they bump the rent, until the rent is so high the tenants are forced to leave. Then they drop the rent back down to the original bait-switch level. The only reason for doing that is greed.

When we did it before the most we ever put up-front for down payment and closing costs was $6,000.
The complexes always paid for themselves, plus a good deal as principal-only payments.

This time we will be making the purchases with cash. So $200k upfront should gross a minimum of $24k/year. We hope to net at least $16k from each complex.

Apartments can be great tax-shelters. When I was working most of my salary income was kept fully sheltered from taxes by having the apartments. Right now, my pension is so low [it is a standard 20-year military pension] it is too low to be taxed. So I do not need the tax-sheltering any more.

Consider setting your rent low. Going high makes your tenants leave. Raising rent every year makes your tenants leave. Having an empty unit means you need to refurbish it and find/screen new tenants. When you find good tenants keep them by holding the rent steady.

One time a tenant came to me, it was a week before their anniversary of moving in, he wanted to make an appointment with me, to discuss the next year's lease. At this appointment he brought a lawyer. I told both of them that I was good with the previous year's lease just rolling over. This lawyer had made a career of fighting landlords raising rent, he had never seen a landlord who did not raise the rent. They wanted it in writing, so we signed a brand new copy of the same lease. Suddenly we were getting baskets of fruit every month from his family. They were thrilled to just be left alone and I was happy to keep the unit filled.

Building codes change every year. Codes are the bare minimum standard. While a lot of properties fail to meet code, it is the bare minimum. Ideally you should strive to keep your properties in much better condition than just at code.

If you hire someone else to manage a property, you are no longer actively managing the activity. It has became a 'passive' activity, which means you lose the tax benefits. You should keep your properties as non-passive activities if you want to benefit from them in your taxes.

We have never had a positive experience in using a manager to manage our properties.

We have had a few tenants who were just ugly. After a couple months they became aggressive and angry with us. One time we overheard a tenant seeking advice from their visitors on ways to screw a landlord.

When you are ready to move a tenant out, do not evict them. Bribe them instead, it is much faster. And it is much cheaper.

Say to them: "Look your security deposit was $600 and your rent is $600/month. Total is $1200. I have $1200 cash that I am willing to give you if you leave this unit by Friday. I don't care where you go, get out and I will give you $1200 cash. I will be here Friday and if all your stuff is gone, you can have the cash."
Every time I have done that, the tenant left without a fight.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:42 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Have many invested their retirement assets in rent houses or apartment complexes?
If so how has this panned out?
In DIRECT proportion to how much land-lording experience and handyman skills
they had gained in the previous 40+ years of adulthood.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
Never never again will I deal with the stress of a deadbeat psycho tenant.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Never never again will I deal with the stress of a deadbeat psycho tenant.
I have been SO fortunate for last 40 yrs of owning rentals, no deadbeats, no difficult relationships... My tenants are usually 'happy campers', many stay 7-10 yrs+, they are all paying rent, and making my payments and improving my properties. Just LUCKY I guess (I work hard to keep them happy)

Quote:
Have many invested their retirement assets in rent houses or apartment complexes? (both above + commercial NNN properties)
If so how has this panned out? OK, depends on what you own / what your tolerance, risk, and skill level is)
Were you able to use IRA funds to invest as equity in a rental property and borrow against it? Is that allowed? (yes, my IRA owns some LLC's that own income properties, rules apply. No commingling funds, no personal benefit / use of properties
one of many resources for IRA owned businesses / RE / collector items
https://www.iraservicestrust.com/

What kinds of returns have you experienced on these type assets and any lessons learned?(~10% net on investment + 10 - 17% gain on equity)
Do you manage the real estate or have someone do so should be a factor in results you see, including how active you are in doing maintenance for these assets. (some of each... 1/2 my properties are 2500 miles away, I still manage 2 of 5 at that distance, and will take more as time permits) You MUST be 'Active" in your rental property management to benefit from tax breaks

Income properties are Not for everyone, but has been one of my more successful wealth management tools. YMMV. * disclaimer: I came from 'RE investing / contractor family, my mom is still rolling custom homes in her 80's, she (and I) have a blast finding the pearls in the pig pen and sprucing them up.

Multi tenant 'anything' is better security for keeping cash flows rolling, Ideally I will re-position into NNN commercial property with little internet erosion risk. That will NOT include any food service establishments, they are really hard on your properties, and often default on rents / leases when they frequently go broke, or are too 'busy' working 24x7 to remember to pay their rent.

I keep my investment properties in Income Tax Free states for ease of reporting, (still have Federal IRS to deal with anyway)

I was gone for a yr, and no major catastrophes, tho I will pay dearly for deferred Maintenance.

100% of SFR are rural view properties, these require a lot of work to keep grounds nice and resell potential. Thus I have tractors, dozers, excavators... in 2 locations in USA. My equity gains will be high on these, as view properties are a limited resource.

My multi-family props are on a very nice park. (good for tenants, maintenance, and ez resale.)

This is a very helpful article, read it in depth, as it makes some very good points at end of article.
http://www.fifighter.com/finance/rea...es-to-oranges/
Need to grasp the fact that beyond rents / net ROI, year over yr; renters are paying off your mortgage / growing your equity. (if you have bought 'right'.) Tough to find investments that perform as good as my RE, some folks do very well day trading or strategically trading currencies. I've tried that, but not consistently performing well for me. Hopefully you can find something that performs great and has no work / effort / participation requirement.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
I would factor into your decision the cost of hiring a professional manager at some point.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would factor into your decision the cost of hiring a professional manager at some point.
Finding good tenants is easier (and less expensive) than finding good prop mgrs.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:11 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Finding good tenants is easier (and less expensive) than finding good prop mgrs.
I agree.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Every place I lived in, the landlord basically begged me to stay. So yes, having good tenant is essential.

I eventually bought a house, which I lost when I was laid off during the recession. I'm now renting in an elder building but the town is so small and there is no stimulation. I'm looking into moving but still am anxious about my bankruptcy and losing my house. I'm on social security so do have an income - but, will the above be held against me?

I got this apartment because my mom grew up here and also because I was friends with the managers mother. So, she knew and trusted me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement