Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM

106,990 posts, read 109,264,794 times

Advertisements

both my wife and ex wife have smaller benefits of their own than 1/2 mine . it isn't the fact they made little , it is the fact i made a lot more than they did . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-23-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 965,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
both my wife and ex wife have smaller benefits of their own than 1/2 mine . it isn't the fact they made little , it is the fact i made a lot more than they did . .
I am in their situation as well. I work hard, but I'm not a high earner like my ex. He had a demanding career that required we move a number of times, across several states and across oceans. He needed to focus solely on the demands of his career, which means that responsibility for literally everything else fell on me. I'm the one who ran the household, did the bills and investing and taxes, raised the children, did the yardwork, made household repairs, did all the cooking and cleaning, and so on.

We were a team with a clear division of responsibilities (he the earner, me in charge of everything else). I know I earned my half of his full SS benefit.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM

5,337 posts, read 6,041,317 times
Quote:
How do you know your ex wife has less than 1/2 of your benefits? Seriously. If she isn't at 1/2 yet, she should be by the time she reaches FRA.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM

we spoke about it . she will be fra in 1-1/2 years . not even close .

Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 AM

5,337 posts, read 6,041,317 times
Quote:
we spoke about it . she will be fra in 1-1/2 years . not even close .
That surprises me given that an earlier poster claimed $15000/year would result in the average benefit.

Anyway, here's the latest projection:https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v76n2/v76n2p17.html

Great review of various proposals regarding SS and Women: https://www.actuary.org/files/Barr%2...e%20120514.pdf

Old 09-23-2016, 01:16 PM

well my ex must be in the 40k range income wise and my wife worked mostly part time in the 25k range . most years i tended to bump the upper limit for ss .

Old 09-23-2016, 02:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,463,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you not think that a retired man has decided to get a woman pregnant in order to get additional SS? I see a lot of older retired men with young kids.
No lol, I do not think there is an epidemic of old men impregnating women in order to collect SS on minor children.

Most men eligible for SS would rather slit their wrists than have a minor child in their home full time.

Its a trade off they make for marrying younger wives who haven't had a child or want more children.

Most of the men I know in this sitch are wealthy. Perfect example would be Donald Trump. Whether or not he collects it I don't know, but he would be eligible with an 8 year old child.

Kind of obscene that he is eligible, but cant really fault him for collecting what he's legally entitled to if he does. In any case, I'm sure little Baron wasn't conceived for extra SS.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,083,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No lol, I do not think there is an epidemic of old men impregnating women in order to collect SS on minor children.

Most men eligible for SS would rather slit their wrists than have a minor child in their home full time.

Its a trade off they make for marrying younger wives who haven't had a child or want more children.

Most of the men I know in this sitch are wealthy. Perfect example would be Donald Trump. Whether or not he collects it I don't know, but he would be eligible with an 8 year old child.

Kind of obscene that he is eligible, but cant really fault him for collecting what he's legally entitled to if he does. In any case, I'm sure little Baron wasn't conceived for extra SS.
The late actor Anthony Quinn moved to my town with his wife Kathy when he was in his late 70s. They had a daughter when Quinn was 78 and a son at age 81. He died in 2001 at the age of 86. On occasion I would see Quinn and his wife strolling downtown with their two little ones in tow. It was a rather odd sight, but I must say for an 80 or so year old he was still a very handsome man. Mrs. Q still lives in town on a very secluded multimillion dollar estate where Quinn is buried, and don't think she or the kids are solely surviving on his SS survivor benefit

Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

when we baby sit for the grand kids i am sooooooooooooo happy when we finally get home ha ha ha

Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 AM

97 posts, read 147,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I am in their situation as well. I work hard, but I'm not a high earner like my ex. He had a demanding career that required we move a number of times, across several states and across oceans. He needed to focus solely on the demands of his career, which means that responsibility for literally everything else fell on me. I'm the one who ran the household, did the bills and investing and taxes, raised the children, did the yardwork, made household repairs, did all the cooking and cleaning, and so on.

We were a team with a clear division of responsibilities (he the earner, me in charge of everything else). I know I earned my half of his full SS benefit.
You may have thought you earned it, but you did not pay into it.

I have four sisters who will be collecting SS off of their husbands SS earnings in a few years. None of them have been gainfully employed since marriage in their twenties. All of my sister's spouses make big money. I don't see it as fair that my sisters will collect a larger SS payout for not working, versus a person who labored their whole life at a low wage job. There is an argument for their husbands collecting SS upon retirement since they paid into the system. I do not see an argument for my sisters collecting SS since they have not payed into the system. I can see an argument to pay out SS if they were to be destitute in their old age, but this is not the case for many individuals collected off their spouses earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement