Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,051,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
My experience with some people who have brain problems is that a lot of them tend to be bigots who stereotype people. For example, they may think all black people are criminals, or all Muslims are terrorists, or all Jews are greedy. Some of them even think all old people of a certain age are lazy bums.
Your vicious attack is unjustified and reflects poorly on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 PM

44,700 posts, read 61,868,751 times
Exercise helps those blue pills work more effectively.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,274,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Your vicious attack is unjustified and reflects poorly on you.
My attack wasn't against you personally. It was against bigots who consider all old people of a certain age to be lazy bums who have given up and won't even try to stay in shape. That's what bigotry is. Stereotyping groups of people by negative characteristics you perceive some of them to have. Such as if you consider all black people to be criminals, because you noticed several black people were criminals. Then stereotyping them as all criminals. How is that any different than stereotyping old people of a certain age as all being lazy bums?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,280,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Winter is the most critical part of the year since failing to continue will cause the body to regress.

I don't go out in rain -- preferring to use a stair climber and rebounder (mini-trampoline) in the garage -- but walking up and down the very steep driveway in snow is a good workout. There's less impact on the joints for one thing and it really works the ticker.

After the farmer across the road plows my driveway, I use the hill.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,523,313 times
I had a 94-yo neighbor last year at this time; sadly, we lost him over last winter. He was a real gardener's gardener, and put me to shame. He raised his own seedlings and provided over half the food for his wife and himself. While he didn't walk "for exercise", of course he did a lot of walking around the garden, bending down, lifting, stretching, etc.

I learned a lot from that! I'm nowhere near 94 (just 69), but I'm on notice to stay active!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM

596 posts, read 430,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
My experience with some people who have brain problems is that a lot of them tend to be bigots who stereotype people. For example, they may think all black people are criminals, or all Muslims are terrorists, or all Jews are greedy. Some of them even think all old people of a certain age are lazy bums.

My experience with people with brain problems is that they also have very poor reading comprehension skills. They assume, wrongly, when someone posts a generalization based on personal experience that they must be talking to them personally. It's a form of narcissism.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,701,213 times
I walk daily, it's a good way to begin the physical part of my daily chores of grocery shopping, or yard work, running errands, etc. My wife and I joined the local gym at which we use the treadmills when bad weather is the winter norm. I see those older people at the gum who are trying to get into shape after an obviously terrible lacking to do so in their earlier years, that makes us feel vindicated in our attempts through they years to stay in shape, and staying mobile. I do have some physical limitations, but they would contribute to a worse condition were I not exercising.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,274,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
They assume, wrongly, when someone posts a generalization based on personal experience that they must be talking to them personally.
That's illogical. When you stereotype people, it's not personal. It just shows bigotry, which is not against a particular person but against an entire category of people. Some people dislike bigotry more than others, but that doesn't imply they take it personally.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,631,096 times
I have a dog. Having a dog means walking, whether you want to or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement