Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 08:08 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure which part of any of your points you think was made.

Health Care Costs are rising. Here's one reason why --a list of the highest paid CEO's in the Health Care field....

1. Leonard S. Schleifer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (Tarrytown, N.Y.) — $47.46 million
2. Jeffrey M. Leiden, Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston) — $28.09 million
3. Larry J. Merlo, CVS Health (Woonsocket, R.I.) — $22.86 million
4. Robert J. Hugin, Celgene (Summit, N.J.) — $22.47 million
5. Alex Gorsky, Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, N.J.) — $21.13 million
6. Michael F. Neidorff, Centene (St. Louis) — $20.76 million
7. Alan B. Miller, Universal Health Services (King of Prussia, Pa.) — $20.43 million
8. Kenneth C. Frazier, Merck & Co. (Kenilworth, N.J.) — $19.89 million
9. Miles D. White, Abbott Laboratories (Chicago) — $19.41 million
10. John C. Martin, Gilead Sciences (Foster City, Calif.) — $18.76
11. Richard A. Gonzalez, AbbVie (North Chicago, Ill.) — $18.53 million
12. Heather Bresch, Mylan (Canonsburg, Pa.) — $18.16 million
13. David M. Cordani, Cigna (Bloomfield, Conn.) — $17.31 million
14. Mark T. Bertolini, Aetna (Hartford, Conn.) — $17.26
15. George A. Scangos, Biogen (Cambridge, Mass.) — $16.87 million
16. Robert L. Parkinson, Baxter International (Deerfield, Ill.) — $16.65 million
17. John C. Lechleiter, Eli Lilly & Co. (Indianapolis) — $16.56 million
18. Marc N. Casper, Thermo Fisher Scientific (Waltham, Mass.) — $16.31 million
19. Robert A. Bradway, Amgen (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) — $16.09 million
20. George Paz, Express Scripts Holding (St. Louis) — $14.84 million

Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You really think that they will make a serious cut in SS to people that are living on that money? Yeah I don't see that happening at ALL.
I did not support Trump but I agree with you. SS is a Holy Cow that no one wants to mess with, especially mess withthose already collecting it.

You may see changes for future collectors, but not for present collectors nor for those say 15-20 years away from collecting.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 AM

100 posts, read 88,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've paid in $113K. I plan on getting that back with interest.
Big deal. A few years ago I received a SS statement in the mail. I was running some numbers when DW came in and asked what I was doing. I told her I was calculating how much I would have if I had been allowed to invest my SS money myself. She said, "don't do that. It will **** you off." I kept working.

At the time, my SS statement said I would get $1700 per month at FRA. Knowing what I had paid in every year and knowing how my investments have performed, I calculated that at FRA, I would have had not $1700 per month but $10,000 per month. And that's only counting my share, not what my employer had to put in. DW was right. I was pissed off. If I were a young person today and given the option of SS or doing my own retirement, I would certainly opt out of SS. The return sucks.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:21 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert View Post
Given the fact that Trump is also 70, he should not create any problem for the retirees.
Take off your rose colored glasses please. He is not the typical retiree; he can't relate to the rest of us. He doesn't need Social Security or Medicare -- that's less than pocket change in his billionaire world.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Do you realize the government has procedure in place before he can touch the nuclear code right. It's not on his lap top that he can do what he wants. So stop the nuclear scare, obviously 55 million people didn't believe it.
No it's not on his laptop. It's on a laptop carried by the Secret Service that follows him wherever he goes. If he says "hand it to me" they have to hand it to him. President is the only one who can enter those codes and then push that button.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I did not support Trump but I agree with you. SS is a Holy Cow that no one wants to mess with, especially mess withthose already collecting it.

You may see changes for future collectors, but not for present collectors nor for those say 15-20 years away from collecting.
It's a sacred cow for those currently or nearing retirement.

As someone who has only been in the professional workforce for six years and likely won't retire for another thirty to thirty-five, I would probably get better returns if it was abolished and could invest my own money.

Still, SS is insurance, not a retirement plan in and of itself.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Big deal. A few years ago I received a SS statement in the mail. I was running some numbers when DW came in and asked what I was doing. I told her I was calculating how much I would have if I had been allowed to invest my SS money myself. She said, "don't do that. It will **** you off." I kept working.

At the time, my SS statement said I would get $1700 per month at FRA. Knowing what I had paid in every year and knowing how my investments have performed, I calculated that at FRA, I would have had not $1700 per month but $10,000 per month. And that's only counting my share, not what my employer had to put in. DW was right. I was pissed off. If I were a young person today and given the option of SS or doing my own retirement, I would certainly opt out of SS. The return sucks.
Well you must have been very very lucky in your investments. But Social Security was never meant to be based on investment return. It's more like a forced savings/contribution with a guaranteed payment in retirement -- even if the market is down.

Investments have no guaranteed return. And there is no guarantee that you would have actually kept up the monthly investment over all those years. How many times over the years would you have stopped the monthly investments because you needed a new car, or a new roof or whatever other expensive necessity.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Since Obama has been in office we have seen the lowest COLAs in the history of COLAs since 1975. The head of the BLS is a dem appointed by Obama....and some claim that has nothing to do with it. Costs have risen (Google it yourself) since 2009. I'm sure those who have mega retirement funds will repute this, but that's not surprising.

The last nearly eight years should have been the time for people to start complaining; not now when they have no idea what, if any changes will take place.

Realizing some are still upset their candidate lost, it's not surprising they're panicking now.
You do remember, I hope, that Obama did not cause the great recession (and the resulting low COLAs), but rather it all happened during Bush's term in office. Obama inherited the situation and faced a Republican congress who blocked every effort he wanted to make to improve the economy. The Republicans shut down the government just to block Obama -- and that shutdown cost millions (billions?).

Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Kennedy's tax cuts were primarily for the middle class, the engine of America's economy. Trump's tax plan benefits mainly the very wealthy and big corporations.
By definition, any meaningful personal tax reform benefits those who pay taxes. Half the country pays no federal income tax now, so you can't cut their IRS bill below zero.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'm not sure which part of any of your points you think was made.

Health Care Costs are rising. Here's one reason why --a list of the highest paid CEO's in the Health Care field....

1. Leonard S. Schleifer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (Tarrytown, N.Y.) — $47.46 million
2. Jeffrey M. Leiden, Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston) — $28.09 million
3. Larry J. Merlo, CVS Health (Woonsocket, R.I.) — $22.86 million
4. Robert J. Hugin, Celgene (Summit, N.J.) — $22.47 million
5. Alex Gorsky, Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, N.J.) — $21.13 million
6. Michael F. Neidorff, Centene (St. Louis) — $20.76 million
7. Alan B. Miller, Universal Health Services (King of Prussia, Pa.) — $20.43 million
8. Kenneth C. Frazier, Merck & Co. (Kenilworth, N.J.) — $19.89 million
9. Miles D. White, Abbott Laboratories (Chicago) — $19.41 million
10. John C. Martin, Gilead Sciences (Foster City, Calif.) — $18.76
11. Richard A. Gonzalez, AbbVie (North Chicago, Ill.) — $18.53 million
12. Heather Bresch, Mylan (Canonsburg, Pa.) — $18.16 million
13. David M. Cordani, Cigna (Bloomfield, Conn.) — $17.31 million
14. Mark T. Bertolini, Aetna (Hartford, Conn.) — $17.26
15. George A. Scangos, Biogen (Cambridge, Mass.) — $16.87 million
16. Robert L. Parkinson, Baxter International (Deerfield, Ill.) — $16.65 million
17. John C. Lechleiter, Eli Lilly & Co. (Indianapolis) — $16.56 million
18. Marc N. Casper, Thermo Fisher Scientific (Waltham, Mass.) — $16.31 million
19. Robert A. Bradway, Amgen (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) — $16.09 million
20. George Paz, Express Scripts Holding (St. Louis) — $14.84 million
This list makes me physically ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement