Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 06:48 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Well, I'm not sure there's 50 million people that need Health Care. If that be the case, we're in worse shape than I thought. True citizens without Health Care is probably half that number.
Do the math. There are 320 million Americans. 50 million is 15%. There are 73 million people on Medicaid and CHIP kid Medicaid.

Citation:
Total Monthly Medicaid and CHIP Enrollment | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Health care CEO compensation is a tempest in a teapot.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We consume on average $10,000 of healthcare services per person each year.

Therefore, healthcare insurance will therefore cost on average about $10,000 (to cover healthcare services) plus administrative fees.

Now... where would those administrative fees be the highest? In the private sector? Or in the public sector with <shudder> public sector employees administering it?

The real problem is our expectations. Each of us who owns a car also purchases auto insurance... but we don't expect Geico or Progressive to pay for our oil changes and brake jobs.

Childbirth is predictable and planned -- yet we finance childbirth the same we finance the repair of a bent fender for a car: through insurance. That's nuts.
It's not predictable and certainly not always planned.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:29 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,011,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Trump's proposed 13.5% across-the-board cut in federal spending would result in a cut to Social Security that would reduce the average monthly benefit by $182, from $1,360 in 2017 to $1,177.

If you are a retiree who voted for him- did you not know what his policies were?
Are you really that gullible? Not even the Paul Ryan's and Rand Paul's of the world would attempt such a drastic measure.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
In general terms, Trump is interested in making money - for himself. He's never been shy about that. Trump University, various Trump business that ended up in bankruptcy so investors were paid little, etc etc. He's good at gaming the system. Also, he doesn't pay income taxes and think people at the top really shouldn't have to. So that will continue.
As for benefits (or "entitlement" spending as the Republican party calls it) - they've been wanting to cut it for some time. Now they have congress, the senate and the executive. They will try to cut benefits, just like they have spoken about previously.

Overall it will be better for people currently paying higher marginal tax rates on income and worse for people on fixed income from benefits.
Bush couldn't push through his private account plan for SS, at the beginning of his second term in 2005, with a Republican congress. No reason to believe any drastic reform is going to occur under Trump.

Eventually the age will be raised a couple of years, and a reduced CPI index will be implemented. There will be a long phase-in period, just like in 1983.

Most folks on this board will be dead by the time this plays out.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pence is pretty conservative, but Trump has said a lot of things that have gone against Pence's traditional conservative beliefs. I'm sure there are plenty of times Pence wondered what in the world he signed up for. I don't see Trump being servile to Pence, Christie, etc.

Does Trump really care about the average person? Only he really knows, but he's at least making people think he does.

No - I would love to hear what he says in private. He knows how to manipulate people - hence the cap he wore at the end. It was a prop. "Hey, I'm just a regular guy like you." <barf> He looks down on a majority of those that voted for him - but, hey, he's Pres now so he got what he wanted.

He won two days ago and his victory speech was gracious. The meeting with Obama to
day went well.
Did anyone see the pic of him with Obama today (can't find the pic now)? The look on Obama's face was priceless - he was in shock. "O~M~G How did this happen? Look at him - look at his behavior. This guy is the furthest from presidential material that you can get."

^

Old 11-10-2016, 07:50 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hilary has plan to raise tax and raise retirement age for the younger workers. I doubt the plan is to change for current retirees.

Why neither Trump nor Clinton

Trump said no change to SS. His plan is to save it through economics growth.
Her husband added $1.396 trillion to our national debt. They called it a 'balanced' budget that only required maxing out the nation's credit limits to achieve. Hussein has added $8Trillion to our debt. Hillary's war-mongering would have added at least $10Tillion to our debt.

They would not recognize a balanced budget if it slapped them in the face.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"Wrong." His positions on Social Security are clearly laid out on his positions tab in his website.

He plans on privatizing part of SS, and keeping a part as SS. This removes Social Security as a pool, which means it will wither and die. It only works if it's a pool, so that overages on one account (when someone dies sooner than expected) offset the liabilities in another person's account (when someone lives longer than expected).

The privatizing part is that people can elect to keep a part of the FICA tax as their own and use it as a retirement account. This sounds like a 401k. Out of which investment firm fees will come. Then you can use that for your senior years and pass it on to heirs.

This is quite clear. Although the language he uses about the part he's "keeping," is along the lines of "it's a deal we made with the public!" He doesn't mention that it will be privatized in part, and what will happen to it once that happens.

Maybe this will affect only the next generation. But if workers start removing their FICA taxes now, that would mean CURRENT beneficiaries would have their SS checks significantly decreased.

UPDATE: Well, I just looked on his site, and the references to Social Security are completely gone. Interesting. But I think the positions he had stated before probably state where his head is, and that he considers the above plan "honoring the deal," since technically SS will still exist, at least for a while.
The only reference to SS I heard him speak of during the campaign, was a vague "increase the number of people employed and paying FICA taxes and SS won't have a problem".

Paul Ryan will bend his ear, and they'll come up with something, while across the aisle Elizabeth Warren and her like, raise holy hell. What happens is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't place any bets on a 13.5% cut to current recipients.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:06 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Since both the president elect and congress are majority...much will pass thru seemingly.

I'd be moderately surprised if he didn't start wiping out many budgets entirely....you know...to make his America great ...Again.

My America didn't build walls or make tyranny the norm...and it certainly respected persons of varying heritage...

Since ss was conceived from a social program....it will be on the table. Certain parties who are paid with our tax money...really prefer to not acknowledge any social programs. Unless it's a socially funded retirement pension that we the people give them when they leave office. But SS, well that's just silly to help the "commoner". Spit them out and let them wither. If your not working...you are of no use to the capitalist system.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO LIVE ONLY ON SOCIAL SECURITY.

Cutting SS would make a large pool of people with guns coming at Trump. Regardless of what the platform said or what he said on the trail of the election, nothing will happen to SS for people who are already in it. Now, people who are not getting it---that may change quite a bit.

When has the platform ever been what they do??? They will say and do anything to get into office. Once in, they do whatever they want. We have no idea what they will do---any of them.
Very true. I recall during the 2008 campaign, Obama mumbling something about exempting seniors with less than $50,000 a year income from paying taxes. I'm still waiting.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Do you realize the government has procedure in place before he can touch the nuclear code right. It's not on his lap top that he can do what he wants. So stop the nuclear scare, obviously 55 million people didn't believe it.
Apparently the poster slept through the "separation of powers" and "checks and balances" part of the lecture in high school civics class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement