Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 05:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Most Americans' risk of being targets of "radical Islam" is much, much less than of having their civil liberties compromised in this new era, of paying higher taxes, of paying more for worse health care when the dust settles...
Yes, many not-wealthy rural Americans 'fearful of immigrants' will bemoan what may well happen. They didn't see the forest for the trees.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They provide a service considered important to the growth and security of society. What is the value added of seniors not working and living on SS who can't afford $7500 per year for their health insurance. We may not have elected people who care. In fact the data shows seniors preferred them when they voted
Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?
Perhaps not selfishness but more one of cost/benefit. Should we establish criteria to determine deserving v undeserving seniors? It could be based on their work history/taxes paid and overall contribution to society to determine who is deserving and who not.

The driving reality is the cost of sustaining us as we age if we are unable to do so ourselves.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:28 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
[quote=Windwalker2;46389463]Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?[/quote}

How many seniors have supported the younger generations' efforts to reduce their student loan debt? Very, very few. Karma.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Plenty of seniors voted Trump
Plenty of Latinos voted Trump
Plenty of low/no income whites voted Trump
Plenty of women voted Trump
All who did voted AGAINST their self-interest and against their long term benefit

Old 12-03-2016, 01:11 PM

[quote=lenora;46390302]
Quote:
Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?[/quote}

How many seniors have supported the younger generations' efforts to reduce their student loan debt? Very, very few. Karma.
Can't rep you for a major league Bada Bing!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Plenty of seniors voted Trump
Plenty of Latinos voted Trump
Plenty of low/no income whites voted Trump
Plenty of women voted Trump
All who did voted AGAINST their self-interest and against their long term benefit
Hmmmm as one who has relocated to the South I would say that these folks may have voted against what you consider to be their self interest but it is consistent with their core values and beliefs.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM

475 posts, read 318,697 times
[quote=lenora;46390302]
Quote:
Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?[/quote}

That's not karma.

Why should people who take out loans not be expected to pay those loans back?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I certainly have and so have all of my friends, I'm 70 and remember when there was no tuition in California colleges, I have two grown kids and a grandson. I have done everything I can to advocate for not only reducing student loan debt, but for making college affordable without incurring debt that takes 15 years to pay off.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I certainly have and so have all of my friends, I'm 70 and remember when there was no tuition in California colleges, I have two grown kids and a grandson. I have done everything I can to advocate for not only reducing student loan debt, but for making college affordable without incurring debt that takes 15 years to pay off.

There have been many posters in this forum who at various times have said when their kids hit 18 they are on their own and that includes paying for college. Consider all of the kids raised in single parent homes who felt one parent abandoned them etc etc etc. You have been conscious of the needs of the younger generation to have a debt free chance but not all boomers have and that has stoked resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement