Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 04:43 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,078,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobyfour View Post
i am more worried about trump having access to nuclear launch codes. The guy is unpredictable, emotional and volatile.
+10000

Old 11-10-2016, 04:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,904,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK - I agree executive pay is outrageous. But I just added up all of these salaries, arriving at a total of $409,840,000. Let's assume there are 50 million people who really need help with healthcare expenses. If the government took ALL of this money, and allocated it to those 50 million, everyone would get about $8.19. So my point is, the executive salaries really aren't the problem.
If opportunities to significantly trim 1/2 a BILLION DOLLARS of spending are somehow not worth discussing - - we are doomed.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:17 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,154,061 times
This is something that is often confused. Here is the definition of SS act of 1935

The Social Security Act (Act of August 14, 1935) [H. R. 7260]
An act to provide for the general welfare by establishing a system of Federal old-age benefits, and by enabling the several States to make more adequate provision for aged persons, blind persons, dependent and crippled children, maternal and child welfare, public health, and the administration of their unemployment compensation laws; to establish a Social Security Board; to raise revenue; and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled.

No where does it say it is to be the sole support of the people mentioned. Less anyone think I am a young'un, I am almost knocking at the door to collect myself.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:23 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,100,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Big deal. A few years ago I received a SS statement in the mail. I was running some numbers when DW came in and asked what I was doing. I told her I was calculating how much I would have if I had been allowed to invest my SS money myself. She said, "don't do that. It will **** you off." I kept working.

At the time, my SS statement said I would get $1700 per month at FRA. Knowing what I had paid in every year and knowing how my investments have performed, I calculated that at FRA, I would have had not $1700 per month but $10,000 per month. And that's only counting my share, not what my employer had to put in. DW was right. I was pissed off. If I were a young person today and given the option of SS or doing my own retirement, I would certainly opt out of SS. The return sucks.

I thought the same. I now have changed my mind. Yes it is possible I could have made more but there is a possibility I might not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No it's not on his laptop. It's on a laptop carried by the Secret Service that follows him wherever he goes. If he says "hand it to me" they have to hand it to him. President is the only one who can enter those codes and then push that button.

You have no idea. He can push the button and a light flashes on the board in an underground bunker. There some generals take that signal and pass the order down. That means he has no direct connection to the nuclear bomb. Even if the birds are in the air or the subs are in position his button does not release the payload from either of those platforms.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am more worried about Trump having access to nuclear launch codes.
Except that Hillary is more of a military hawk. Think about how much she hates the Russians right now.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
If opportunities to significantly trim 1/2 a BILLION DOLLARS of spending are somehow not worth discussing - - we are doomed.

We consume on average $10,000 of healthcare services per person each year.

Therefore, healthcare insurance will therefore cost on average about $10,000 (to cover healthcare services) plus administrative fees.

Now... where would those administrative fees be the highest? In the private sector? Or in the public sector with <shudder> public sector employees administering it?

The real problem is our expectations. Each of us who owns a car also purchases auto insurance... but we don't expect Geico or Progressive to pay for our oil changes and brake jobs.

Childbirth is predictable and planned -- yet we finance childbirth the same we finance the repair of a bent fender for a car: through insurance. That's nuts.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 11-10-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 06:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,252,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
No where does it say it is to be the sole support of the people mentioned. Less anyone think I am a young'un, I am almost knocking at the door to collect myself.
I hope that you never land in the same boat as many retired Americans who worked hard their entire lives, then had some disaster (job loss, health issues, etc.) occur where their retirement savings disappeared. While the adage is when life hands you lemons, make lemonade - but what happens if those lemons are spoiled?

It's easy to get on your high horse when you've never experienced life changing difficulties.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I have an ACA policy I never got anything out of, but then I didn't have to pay anything out. I'll let it roll over since in six months I'll be 65. In the meanwhile, the supplies I get myself don't get near the cut off to meet the copayment. But if something really bad happened, its there.

I did this because I live in a state which in all its concervative wisdom, did not accept the federal assist with medicaid. My income is a smigion over a 1k a month, and it was too high to qualify. Fortunately family helps with supplies I must have.

I've had pre existing conditions for years, and even if its been under complete control for years, you can't get regular insurence.

My son wants me to move closer and I'm really thinking of it. He wants things to be okay. I am greatful I have family.

I know that Trump is acting all formal and all, but I think the people protesting in the street are the ones who really understand. The rest of the people are just trying to believe it will be okay.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am more worried about Trump having access to nuclear launch codes. The guy is unpredictable, emotional and volatile. Are he and Putin going to gang up on China (which is where a lot of our jobs have gone)? He seems to want to get into bed with Putin. The world, not just the US, is going to be a very different place the next four years. Medicare will be the least of our worries.
Trump won't do anything to get Putin upset. Trump wants to do big business in Russia, and has been trying for some time.

Trump does what's best for Trump, in the end.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,476,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Trump won't do anything to get Putin upset. Trump wants to do big business in Russia, and has been trying for some time.

Trump does what's best for Trump, in the end.
Agree, agree and agree!

Trump is from beginning to end the "what's in it for me?" Sort.

I cringe that my tax money goes to his paycheck. You know..that tax that I pay..and he has legally thwarted all these years.

Yes when I paid in to ss,and the govt was to invest it..I didn't realize how poor the return would be.

Lots of folks will be crying over this spilled milk for 4 years. I just pray that we have a country to cry over..I just don't see positive change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement