Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:37 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Thanks folks, great replies. The timing of first check and cash flow is not an issue. This is a close relative's issue, not my own, however I also work for the same state agency but in a different section. The issue is within a transit police department department that has really major issues from weapons custody to hiring felons (I kid you not) to pressuring people in the non-sworn background positions to ignore rap sheets and clear people for work for the police department that would otherwise not be qualified. Refusal to break the law for supervisors comes at a price (e.g., not being a team player) and I think the relative in question has simply had enough and its time to go rather than to continue to refuse to be the bag-holder. The agency is one of the most notoriously substandard departments in California, shooting civilians, each other, etc., thus probably better to close that chapter for dear relative (as is my suggestion) sooner and move on.
let me guess....BART Police (no need to acknowledge or deny, it's just my hunch)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 PM

83 posts, read 95,766 times
Meh, does not matter which agency - many are all the same in a lot of ways - one thing California has right now is disaster within police departments, everywhere you look.

Anyway the mechanics of retirement as far as I can tell all basically indicate any time. I suppose that's part and parcel to being in an at-will state. There are certainly questions around unused sick time % - there have been changes on how that works and that is worth the question to the benefits section. I think taking terminal vacation out to an exit date is pretty standard.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Proceed at your own risk. My wife gave two weeks notice and retired. She'd filed with CalPERS a month prior and her first pension was direct deposited the month after she left. I gave about four months notice to my employer to provide for succession planning as I held a very specialized, management position. No one was assigned to be trained by me until the week before my retirement was scheduled and I told my agency to go pound sand. Too little, too late. No regrets and I, too, received my first pension direct deposit the following month having applied three months earlier and, if memory serves, my accrued annual leave about two weeks later. It was all eight years ago. What I do recall with clarity is that I had grown weary of the agency for which I worked and the internal politics so while retiring two years before I had planned to, it was a great relief to do so. So, too, was leaving California nine months later.

Best of luck to you. Just make sure you too leave with no regrets.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Proceed at your own risk. My wife gave two weeks notice and retired. She'd filed with CalPERS a month prior and her first pension was direct deposited the month after she left. I gave about four months notice to my employer to provide for succession planning as I held a very specialized, management position. No one was assigned to be trained by me until the week before my retirement was scheduled and I told my agency to go pound sand. Too little, too late. No regrets and I, too, received my first pension direct deposit the following month having applied three months earlier and, if memory serves, my accrued annual leave about two weeks later. It was all eight years ago. What I do recall with clarity is that I had grown weary of the agency for which I worked and the internal politics so while retiring two years before I had planned to, it was a great relief to do so. So, too, was leaving California nine months later.

I had the same experience. Gave several months notice. They didn't get anyone to take over the work until several months AFTER I left. Then they called me to come in for an hour to explain everything. They did offer to pay for the hour but I just went in for the meeting and didn't ask to be paid.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM

83 posts, read 95,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Thank you - noted. I think their plan as well is to move out of California in the next 2 years anyway, so while two years is 4% pension compound lost, it is offset by the two years of pension payments received and nothing really prohibits them for working in the commercial or out of State government markets if they so choose, although I doubt that would happen.

As I mentioned earlier the one thing they really need to look at is how sick is treated. There have been changes to what %, etc., is allowed to be put into deferred or what-have you. At over 1000 hrs or so it is not insignificant unless it becomes inapplicable.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:29 PM

482 posts, read 623,313 times
I use the calpers website a few times a year to run retirement estimates and explore options. Everything they'll want to know can be found through the calpers.Gov website. A pre-retirement class might be a good idea, they can also be done online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement