Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times

Advertisements

So, OP, what did you do and how was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 09:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Eating at home is a lot easier than taking him to a park. It's hard to know what the weather will be like, what the bathroom facilities at the park will be like, if there's a nice spot to eat, etc. Ask the caregiver what they would suggest for Thanksgiving, you bringing a meal or just bringing some dessert. Offer to feed the caregiver too.

Even if your FIL doesn't know that it's Thanksgiving, he'll enjoy the visit and the meal.
My dad never knows what day it is anymore and when he was still coming to my house, we had lots and lots of birthday parties for him...I'd make cupcakes and we'd light a candle and sing to him. He really enjoyed the party and feeling like he was still important enough to celebrate.
That is a wonderful idea.

I have to remember that for the future.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile What we did....

Our son suggested just us going to a restaurant. We got reservations, restaurant served "family style" on Thanksgiving and we had done this years ago so we knew the format. Since it was our son's suggestion, we ran with it, had so many leftovers and had bought something for my FIL anyway. (Restaurant was Maggiano's).

After eating, we went to visit with him and gave him the goodies. It was not a long visit as he had been somewhere with one of the caregivers so he was practically falling asleep when we were there; but we saw him and he knew we were there.

We felt it was such a quiet Thanksgiving for us; other family members spread out this year.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:21 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
They often dictate what is done, so the rest of us have little say!

Old 11-27-2016, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Our son suggested just us going to a restaurant. ...had so many leftovers and had bought something for my FIL anyway.

After eating, we went to visit with him and gave him the goodies. It was not a long visit as he had been somewhere with one of the caregivers so he was practically falling asleep when we were there; but we saw him and he knew we were there.

We felt it was such a quiet Thanksgiving for us; other family members spread out this year.
Great choice.

Probably his last Thanksgiving. but... what we have done (Caregiver for 32 yrs + volunteer with LOTS of local seniors / shut-ins.)

If they are able to get out, they usually really enjoy a short drive to their favorite spots. (be sure to check those spots out FIRST, one farmer / pioneer couple had a way of getting us WAY off the main road. We had hairy adventures with them, but they loved it! They knew so much HISTORY of the local backwoods, it was a joy, but often risk and scary (one lane snow / mud jeep trails, no cell coverage)

Restaurants are OUT on holidays (in my book)

We invite them to our 'ADA home' for 'tea / snacks' (sometimes dinner if they like)...and bring out instruments for them to play (If they desire) then we sing whatever they want! Give them lots of time to share stories. (record them if possible). Bring out old pictures / 8mm home movies.

Do some drama / skits if you have multi generations (the kids usually are quite happy to do this)

Take a group to a community center (if you have several people to handle)
Board games can be fun for them (I hate board games, but will do it for them ONLY)

Find out what time of day is most alert / happy for them, and get MEDS to-go!

Make it ALL about them (it must be very lonely in a SNF as a 'number' / care room recluse.)

Diet: We often 'cheat' and get them their favorite food (as appropriate to restrictions... a friend LOVED cheesecake, but was not supposed to have it (since age 68), he got plenty from me, and lived to 96 (independently in his home and DRIVING his Mustang Cobra!).

On the more extreme end... an elderly friend was 3 hrs away and ALWAYS wanted to come for the 'day', but be home by midnight! so... for over 10 yrs, I drove 12 hrs each holiday to grant them their wish. It was a privilege (but very dangerous in winter / ice / snow / holiday traffic and being tired). I was insured at the time, so the risk would have been mitigated for my surviving family.

Enjoy these 'challenges', and be glad you are not cooped up in a bed!
What goes around, comes around. (often) AT least be a good example to your kids (especially your ADULT kids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement