Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 AM

393 posts, read 409,521 times

Advertisements

My motto: always looking.

Wife and I currently live in Nebraska, the "Tax Me State". We are considering moving in retirement to a less taxing state, i.e, Texas. But....we'd rather RV in the winter and live at our cabin in Minnesota in the Summer.

How does one establish residency in Texas, the easiest way, and my apologies for my lack of ethics, but I've paid more than my fair share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 AM

I sure wish I knew how to MOVE this post to retirement

Mod note: Thread moved.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-07-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-07-2016, 02:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
4 Ways to Become a Legal Resident of Texas - wikiHow

Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Check out residency for South Dakota instead. The whole State is very RV residency friendly including no income taxes, no vehicle inspections, low insurance rates, and no need to visit except for one night the first year. BTW, when and if you change residency you will need to change your health insurance also. There is a single form used to notify the Federal government for income tax and medicare. You do not need to change banks but of course you will need to notify the banks and other financial institutions for change of address.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Check out residency for South Dakota instead. The whole State is very RV residency friendly...
Do this ^^^^ much easier if you are RV based, and don't trigger domicile elsewhere (Don't stay too long in CA!!! during one yr).

If you have a high dollar auto or RV habit, you might want to form an LLC in MT (Sales tax free) that owns, registers, and insures your vehicles. There are many companies in MT that will set these up for about $700. You can file your own LLC in MT for about $200. Best to have a mailing addy in MT and a person to handle the mailings / renewals.

Though a Cornhusker by birth... I have a home in TX, but keep my Domicile in income tax free WA as I have an EDL (Enhanced Driver's license is Not readily available in TX) and a CDL (pain (and expensive) to transfer). TX also has vehicle inspections (which my WA based vehicles do not).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-07-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 05:25 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
isn't Wyoming the state with the lest residency restrictions?

http://lintonbingle.com/resources/wy...y-requirements

Quote:

Without a state income tax, Wyoming does not have a formal set of residency requirements for tax purposes, however, there are several ways that new homeowners can show their*intent to terminate residency in their former state. Since most states use a fact-specific inquiry rather than a bright-line rule to determine residency, these 10 straightforward tips can help you avoid income taxes in other states by indicating that your Jackson Hole home is your newly established residence.

1.Downsize or sell the residence in your former state.
2. Spend more time in Wyoming than any other state.
3. Become a registered (and active) voter in Wyoming.
4. Secure a Wyoming driver's license and register vehicles in the state.
5. Move your bank accounts to Wyoming.
6. Update estate planning documents and the situs of trusts and businesses to reflect your Wyoming address.
7. Get involved with Wyoming's social, civic and religious organizations, and donate to local charities.
8. Schedule regular appointments with Wyoming service professionals such as doctors, dentists, accountants and lawyers.
9. Change your mailing address to Wyoming for financial and insurance institutions, clubs, memberships and magazines.
10 Move your most treasured belongings to your Wyoming home, including heirlooms, family records and photo albums.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 12-11-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
isn't Wyoming the state with the lest residency restrictions?
no...
2. Spend more time in Wyoming than any other state

Maybe this was tongue in cheek (cuz WY is a terrific state), but it is NOT easier than SD...

ONE overnight stay per lifetime (SD) is far easier than spending more time in WY that any other state (such as today...) - temps + windchill BTDT

SD Residency FAQ

Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
no...

Maybe this was tongue in cheek (cuz WY is a terrific state), but it is NOT easier than SD...

ONE overnight stay per lifetime (SD) is far easier than spending more time in WY that any other state (such as today...) - temps + windchill BTDT

SD Residency FAQ
You're right. Sorry I stand corrected. SD is the easiest to become a resident.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
no...

SD Residency FAQ

Lots of good advice. I looked into SD and think that may be my best bet.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
... I looked into SD and think that may be my best bet.
NO Inheritance / Estate Tax in SD, so also a good place to establish your Living Trust (If you need one).
IRS limit climbs to $5,490,000 in 2017. so that is adequate for MOST, but many states have lower thresholds (including mine)

Our Living Trust was about $1200, but was pretty complicated (several LLC's and IRA LLC's + properties and investments in several states, and distributions to charities, family foundations and destitute parents and siblings). Complicated, but not BIG $$$ I will get a SD domicile too, eventually. (after earnings cease in other income tax free states).

SD is also a nice place for a seasonal retirement home / RV shop. (If near recreation (hunting / snow) you could rent it out off-season). Look at areas NW of Rapid; from Piedmont to Spearfish (nice small college town, very close to WY and close enough to MT). If you need a fun place to spend your one night domicile, I recommend The Main Street Hostel in Lead, SD. It is a vintage Dr. house and a very interesting owner. She did a Round the World bicycle trip AFTER she retired!. Great recreation nearby (Mikelson Trail...) good steaks at Hill City Hotel on Friday and Saturday night. (worth the trip!)
http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...ckelson-trail/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement