Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:25 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times

Advertisements

59.5 when i retired and nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 04:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I retired at 52 and wish I could have done it sooner. After 17 years, no regrets whatsoever.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
My wife retired for health reasons at age 54 and I retired at 62. Not one regret between us.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
I retired at 51 and have never regretted it for one minute! Luckily, I had fairly inexpensive Federal BCBS so I didn't have to worry about health coverage, which keeps many people working for longer than they may have wanted. If I had stayed longer, I'd have a bigger pension, but I saved alot over the years, so that tipped the balance. Freedom ...24/7 is priceless!

Old 12-30-2016, 04:19 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Very few people have regrets when they get paid for staying home and doing what they want...

Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Very few people have regrets when they get paid for staying home and doing what they want...

I was one of the ones who did regret it. I've retired twice since I was 62, once for 1.5 years and once for 3 years. Now I am back to work full time and love it.

Money was not the motivator, although it comes in handy. More importantly was my physical and mental health......I was stagnating and losing my people skills. You can only talk to the cat so much and play with your toys so much before you get bored.

Now, my days off mean much more and I get to interact with people all day and use my brain. For some it might work to retire, but not for me.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Tom and Don,

Clearly, if one can leave the expectations of the workforce with all the BS that goes with it and still pay their bills and have a stress free next avenue I am all for that. The problem is that most do not have the funds to really do this even when they have more than most. Why! I think the ones that have had challenges within the work world and enjoyed those challenges miss it. Now if one can turn a new corner and find a new and improved LOL CHALLENGE. Then I know I will be much happier.

I like the challenge. NO. I want and need a challenge! A hobby just doesn't do it for me.

So I need to find my new and improved challenge.

Give me luck!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Tom and Don,

Clearly, if one can leave the expectations of the workforce with all the BS that goes with it and still pay their bills and have a stress free next avenue I am all for that. The problem is that most do not have the funds to really do this even when they have more than most. Why! I think the ones that have had challenges within the work world and enjoyed those challenges miss it. Now if one can turn a new corner and find a new and improved LOL CHALLENGE. Then I know I will be much happier.

I like the challenge. NO. I want and need a challenge! A hobby just doesn't do it for me.

Give me luck!

That is a huge part of it, the challenges. Every day, my mind is challenged to solve problems. I have to remember things, do math, etc. It is also nice to be appreciated again, my coworkers come to me for a lot of things, and it makes me feel useful again.

How long my body will hold out is the only question mark. I'm 71 and feel the effects of aging a little more every day, but once I am up and moving those aches and pains are kind of forgotten.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Tom and Don,

Give me luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is a huge part of it, the challenges. Every day, my mind is challenged to solve problems. I have to remember things, do math, etc. It is also nice to be appreciated again, my coworkers come to me for a lot of things, and it makes me feel useful again.

How long my body will hold out is the only question mark. I'm 71 and feel the effects of aging a little more every day, but once I am up and moving those aches and pains are kind of forgotten.
Yes! You two hit the nail squarely on the head!

I, too, am one of the people who need a challenge. Two and a half years ago, I became president of the HOA where I live. We have 26 units - townhouses. I might be called crazy for putting up with the hassles, but the pay-off is in meeting the challenges. At the end of the day, that is what is gratifying about it, even if a given problem might be unpleasant. I am turning the HOA around from the old woman "Nazi" who used to be president to a more open and owner-friendly atmosphere. "Challenge" is exactly the right word.

I know from this board that a lot of people are greatly relieved at leaving the challenges of the workplace behind; they just want to smell the roses and do whatever they feel like on a given day. Some have bragged that they no longer know what day of the week it is, and they like it that way. More power to them. We are all different.

There is no point in one group bashing the other (which it sometimes comes to, unfortunately). We all have our likes and dislikes, from food to music to lifestyle. I am simply in the camp of Don and Sarah above.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
As long as you have the money AND will enjoy your retirement activities go for it. What you will do in retirement is a key variable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement