Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM

359 posts, read 320,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
That you have to be young and smart and preferably in science-technology, to even consider entering and living in USA?

That's sarcasm, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:53 PM

359 posts, read 320,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is a good point. The political winds of the US change with... well, the winds. I sure wouldn't plan a major life step like emigration based on who happens to be sitting in the Oval Office.
Right? As if the other countries they are looking to move to are bastions of morality and have no corruption. After they move, many (not all) see how much better they had it here in the US after all.

People who want to move because of the "new political climate" crack me up.. They get into such a snit. Same thing happened years ago when Obama was sworn in, and it will continue to happen moving forward.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Holy Crap!!!! Have you actually ever been to Texas? This ^^^ post is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life!!!! Are there bugs, snakes and other critters here, yup but "infested"? I've lived here for over 50 years and in various parts of Texas so I kinda think I have a good idea of what it's like. I've seen ONE rattlesnake my entire life and it was dead on the road after somebody ran over it. I've never seen a copperhead or a cotton mouth. I saw a baby corral snake once but they are more afraid of us than we are of them. MANY of the critters you've listed I've NEVER seen.

Many of the other things you've listed are also exaggerations. Huge piles of flaming mulch? That happened ONE time in San Antonio, we called it "Mulchie". It burned itself out after a couple of weeks and life went on. Natural gases? Yup, if you are in the Houston area or Midland, it's not everywhere. Pirate Attacks?? What the hell are you talking about? Hurricanes? Yup, the coast gets one every now and then just like any other coastal area but they don't really affect the whole dang state nor are the effects severe unless you are in the middle of it. Dust storms? Maybe in west Texas but nothing crazy. Home insurance rates can be a bit higher in some areas but not in all and not where I live. Property taxes are higher than national average but we do not have a state income tax either so it's basically a wash. mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions??? Ummm, NO. We had a kid not long ago that was drunk driving and killed 4 people and all he got was a slap on the wrist. I know of ZERO cases where anyone got the death sentence for driving drunk even those cases where the drunk driver killed people.

As far as the scenery goes, "bleak desolate scenery" is certainly available in some parts of Texas and some don't even consider it as you've described and actually find these areas quite beautiful. We do have the piney woods of East Texas (Google the Tyler area) the breathtaking Hill Country (Google Lost Maples as an example) and gorgeous beaches (Google South Padre Island).

I don't mind it one bit if you do not like Texas, it's not for everybody. But at least tell the truth and be honest. I do seriously doubt you've ever even been here or bothered to do ANY real research other than maybe googling things like "What bugs are in Texas", "What snakes are in Texas", etc, etc.
Yes, I have been to TX two or three times back in the 80's. What I wrote are not my own words but a very popular joke on the internet retirement forums. You can see it is out of date though because it does not mention children finding rattlesnakes swimming in their toilet!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Yes, I have been to TX two or three times back in the 80's. What I wrote are not my own words but a very popular joke on the internet retirement forums. You can see it is out of date though because it does not mention children finding rattlesnakes swimming in their toilet!
I've been on CD for over 5 years now and I've never seen such outlandish claims, even in joking, as this. Glad it is a joke because I'd be really concerned about the mental state of anyone who'd ever even been here saying this about Texas.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
California is too expensive and crowded, FL is crowded and seems to have sucked so much water out its collapsing
This got me interested so I looked at population density, and surprisingly California isn't in the top 10 which is dominated by states in the NE. Massachusetts is 871/mile, Florida 378/mile, and California 251/mile. New Jersey is the winner at 1,210 people per square mile.

Granted there are huge stretches of California that are either barren desert or national parks, I'd assume areas of California that actually have people in them are far higher.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Right? As if the other countries they are looking to move to are bastions of morality and have no corruption. After they move, many (not all) see how much better they had it here in the US after all.

People who want to move because of the "new political climate" crack me up.. They get into such a snit. Same thing happened years ago when Obama was sworn in, and it will continue to happen moving forward.
I think most people want to move because they cant afford to live in the USA, you have to work like a dog in your old age just to keep up with the taxes. Let alone if you still have a mortgage you are paying through the nose for.

Its just too expensive for a lot of people to live in the USA. I am guessing a lot of people don't want to leave but they also don't want to keep working until they are dead or retire on the cat food budget.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:26 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,897,485 times
I actually that about retiring outside the US to a place in SE Asia where I met my wife years ago during my military days. Time passed and it has become one of the most expensive places in the world for a foreigner to live. Guess I'll stay in California.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,103 times
My brother is retiring to the Philippines in March because of limited funds. He finally sold his house and will be living on the less than $100K equity and early social security - is just starting the VISA application process. Originally he took vacations to the Philippines and to Thailand scouting out retirement destinations because both were affordable and preferred the Philippines. I hope it works out for him although I expect that he could be back in the US in a few years as his health is not good and could deteriorate.

My brother plans to live in sort of an American expat enclave and wants to travel some around the Philippines and in nearby countries. The food is supposed to be primarily fish, rice, and vegetables and not be that tasty so maybe he can lose some weight and improve his health. He worked in the Caribbean and in the Middle East for a few years and likes hot climates. So this is not a completely new experience.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My brother is retiring to the Philippines in March because of limited funds. He finally sold his house and will be living on the less than $100K equity and early social security - is just starting the VISA application process. Originally he took vacations to the Philippines and to Thailand scouting out retirement destinations because both were affordable and preferred the Philippines. I hope it works out for him although I expect that he could be back in the US in a few years as his health is not good and could deteriorate.

My brother plans to live in sort of an American expat enclave and wants to travel some around the Philippines and in nearby countries. The food is supposed to be primarily fish, rice, and vegetables and not be that tasty so maybe he can lose some weight and improve his health. He worked in the Caribbean and in the Middle East for a few years and likes hot climates. So this is not a completely new experience.
if he is a veteran and can use the VA there is a facility in the Philippines

Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

Not everybody can live with insufferable amounts of humidity and heat, which is prominent in SE Asia. I've been living in the Desert SW for 23 years, and here in Las Vegas, the humidity levels can dip as low as 3% in June. The longer you live in the Desert, the more sensitive your body becomes to humidity. And, we're not bothered with "terrorists" here like mosquito's, gnats, woodticks or even flies.

I stupidly scheduled an 11 day stay in Bangkok in 2004, carrying my Desert body with me, and I all but crashed to the sidewalk, dealing with all that combined heat and humidity.

Best to research the climate you'll be retiring into, before you take the plunge.

Florida? For me? I have nightmares that one day, if I commit a crime, they'll exile me to that state for long-term punishment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement