Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times

Advertisements

Well I had a perfect part-time job working from home for a health care organization. I rarely got client referrals from them, but got paid decently to do conference calls and trainings and monthly meetings. This was to supplement my early SS which starts next month. Ok gig, but I was getting mighty bored with it, no fun, and felt tied down. Meh.
Two weeks ago I got a call from the office and they told me they would no longer pay me and they had no clients for me anyway and so turn in my cell and tablet, etc. Even though it meant an income loss for two months, I was sort of relieved and felt I could manage for now.
As time went on I began to feel really elated, and now wonder if I want to work for anyone else once I get my SS. That surprises me because all along I planned to and now I want the novelty of total freedom from someone else's ''clock''.
I might do some occasional pet sitting or Ebay selling for a little extra money, but that's all on my schedule. Mostly I want delicious freedom!
Can you relate? What is your experience?

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 02-08-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
I retired at 62. At 64 a friend who managed an office superstore needed a computer repair person. The pay was not great but the job was fun. I had a little computer lab room all to myself. Started out 3 days a week, 8 hours a day so 24 hours a week. Later cut it to 6 hours a day so 18 hours a week. Later cut it to two, 6 hour days. I was also flexible enough that if we had a lot of work, I would come in other times to clear it out. I did this for about 4 years. Got to the point laptops were taking over so less and less computer repair work. When they wanted me to work the sale floor some, I decided enough and re-retired.

The one thing to expect is low pay as there are many retirees that need to work and are willing to work for short money. You would be quite surprised how one's attitude changes when one does not need the job. The right job can actually be fun especially when you know you can walk away at anytime.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i retired at 62 , am going on 65 . i have worked 2 to 4 days a month as a consultant .

in fact i had been asked to take part in a project which took 2-1/2 months 4 days a week which i completed .

i enjoy it so i like doing it . the money is very good too .

Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I retired at 62. At 64 a friend who managed an office superstore needed a computer repair person. The pay was not great but the job was fun. I had a little computer lab room all to myself. Started out 3 days a week, 8 hours a day so 24 hours a week. Later cut it to 6 hours a day so 18 hours a week. Later cut it to two, 6 hour days. I was also flexible enough that if we had a lot of work, I would come in other times to clear it out. I did this for about 4 years. Got to the point laptops were taking over so less and less computer repair work. When they wanted me to work the sale floor some, I decided enough and re-retired.

The one thing to expect is low pay as there are many retirees that need to work and are willing to work for short money. You would be quite surprised how one's attitude changes when one does not need the job. The right job can actually be fun especially when you know you can walk away at anytime.
This is why I joke that my fantasy post-retirement, part-time gig is to work in Dollar Tree. LOL Actually, I will probably keep seeing patients, but just a couple of days a week. Still, it's nice to fantasize about ringing up $1 items all day.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 AM

you know what , my buddy worked for nyc ems . he counted the minutes until he coud get his pension .

well he retired early and now takes one low level crappy job after another .

while before he had a good job ,with good pay and benefits and basically off the performance radar at this point . now he has the worst days and hours under the microscope of some grunt supervisor .

now he realizes be careful what you wish for . he had job stresses before and now he has even worse ones but with less compensation for it .

Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 AM

348 posts, read 256,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you know what , my buddy worked for nyc ems . he counted the minutes until he coud get his pension .

well he retired early and now takes one low level crappy job after another .

while before he had a good job ,with good pay and benefits and basically off the performance radar at this point . now he has the worst days and hours under the microscope of some grunt supervisor .

now he realizes be careful what you wish for . he had job stresses before and now he has even worse ones but with less compensation for it .
Interesting. Does he have to work?

We are planning to take part time low pay jobs to have a purpose and extra change. However, we don't need to work unless our healthcare premiums go up 50% each year for the next few years.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM

life is tight retiring on only a partial pension for them . i forgot what percentage he got .

but folks forget while they have stress at work now , they can have different stresses on a low level job as everything they do is watched and monitored . now they still are stressed and getting a lot less for the trouble .

Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,446 times
I'm looking forward to the day I quit working to retire and switch gears to hopefully finding some type of work that's personally fulfilling. That could be helping others or it might mean serving shots of vodka on a beach in Honduras, who knows! Being able to financially walk away from something that's not fulfilling is a very powerful feeling I'm sure.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM

i was going to get a job cleaning up the beer bottles at a local strip club , but they wanted to charge me to much for that job .

Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM

701 posts, read 694,494 times
When I retired @69, I did consulting work for the company for about 2 years. When that faded out, I thought about finding a part time job. Than I thought, why. When my wife and I want to go on a road trip, I don't have to worry about asking a supervisor for time off. We just get up an go when we want to and come back when we want to. I have been waiting for this life from the time I started working and I will not mess that up now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement