Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Absolutely.

Regardless of these factors.

The issue, the ONLY issue, is effectiveness.
If it helps then use it.
Thanks. I agree. For the sake of clarification, it's worth noting that some people don't want or require higher levels of THC when higher levels of CBD may be what effectively works for them. On the other hand, there are also people who get more benefit from very high levels of THC. So, you're quite right. The important point is whatever works for the individual. Everyone is different. It's also worth noting that Medical Marijuana may not necessarily be an effective alternative for everyone. In my opinion, it's always best to first consult with a PCP to determine if Medical Marijuana is a reasonable option to consider for a patient's particular condition.

While there are some general agreements on applications and use of Medical Marijuana, unfortunately there are currently no real standards yet in terms of precise dosages, or whether high THC or high CBD works best for specific medical conditions, or whether a person should use buds, edibles, oils, etc. At the present time, the only way a person is really going to know is to try it to determine which product is most effective, what to use, and adjust the amount (more or less) accordingly. That's going to vary from person to person. In that sense, it's not much different from typically prescribed or over-the-counter pharmaceuticals. I think in time with more research and testing, standards will become better established and more precise for specific conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here it's legal for recreational use, with stores selling it all over the place. I'm not the least bit interested, had enough of that in the late '60s.
There is no comparison between the 60s weed and today's weed. It's like comparing 3.2 beer to everclear 190 proof.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
There is no comparison between the 60s weed and today's weed. It's like comparing 3.2 beer to everclear 190 proof.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, modern strains (since the 80s) are more potent. This has the advantage of having to smoke less (if that is your ingestion method), than you would a low potency variety, so it is far healthier now from that perspective.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:07 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
This is true. But there are also medical marijuana strains (Harlequin, Cannatonic, AC/DC) which are low in THC but high in CBD, the non-psychoactive component of cannabis that has medical benefits but doesn't get you high.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Why go thru the hassles with medical when you can walk 3 blocks to a regular store?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
... so it is far healthier now from that perspective.
I assume that you are an adult.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
CBD mixes generally have some THC in it, so there is still a low volume of psychoactive effect. Oils can have a much higher concentrate of THC, but MJ can get up to around 30% THC. Pretty potent. And combine that with vaping instead of smoking, and you are making the experience "healthier" and a different type of effect. Some strains work better than others, and many THC strains work as well if not better than higher CBD blends. CBD is much more difficult to harvest, thus, it's more difficult to find.

Pharmaceuticals are brutal. And the side effects can be as bad as the ailment the medicine is taken for. MJ is another viable alternative, and may or may not work. You'll never know until you try.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
I literally haven't had a joint in 45 years. I actually quit when I became a professional musician, go figure.
Now that I am close to retirement age, I figure if the state I now live in sees the light of day to allow recreational use, it will be great. I am building my retirement dream home, and in hopes of that reality, recently told my builder to make two special rooms in the basement. The first will hold a weight bench and an elliptical which I use a couple times a week.

The second room is to house 1327 boxes of Twinkies.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I am building my retirement dream home, and in hopes of that reality, recently told my builder to make two special rooms in the basement. The first will hold a weight bench and an elliptical which I use a couple times a week.

The second room is to house 1327 boxes of Twinkies.

If you should ever gain access to legal MJ, MichiganGreg, you might discover that there are lots of other ways to use it besides smoking a joint. Vaping, edibles and tinctures are a lot easier on your lungs. Vaping is also a more efficient use of the herb and also more economical as you don't need as much.

The other day I got my CA medical cannabis card renewed, and the doctor told me, "It's the only medicine I ever use."

Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If I were ever to try it, it would have to be in some form not smoked.
Same here. Grew up in Hawaii as a kid and even though my best friend were using it (early age 5-6th grade), never tried it. And as a military member and ROTC university, urine testing never allowed me to participate. Now, as a full timer retire with no responsibilities....... I'm vacationing near Nevada.....heard yesterday they are allowing recreational marijuana.

Worth a visit? Tempting, but the way I am, probably would get such a high that I might want to change residences and stay there permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement