Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,260,592 times

Advertisements

You are better men/women than I.
I would jump the ledge if I heard your songs in my brain.
I really believe what I posted above in previous post or possibly TV is causing this. Maybe we hear a tune from the TV and our brain completes the puzzle?
Don't know but stay off my wavelength!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,008,497 times
Occasionally when I'm standing at a urinal "Hail to the Chief" runs through my head. Why? I haven't a clue. I really don't want to over analyze this either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1wXEEQBHeQ

Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Instead of Hail, I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
I've had "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" in my head ever since GM died. Sometimes I switch off to "Careless Whispers".

Old 03-03-2017, 04:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I have music in my head literally from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I don't recall when this started. I'm 63 now and it has been going on at least since my 20s.

Right now it's "Loving You was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)" because I was watching the movie "Honeysuckle Rose" yesterday. I do like that song, but oftentimes, songs I don't like will play in my head and that drives me nuts. Sometimes when that happens it works to intentionally try to change it to something I like, such as "California Dreaming," or "Downtown."

Unfortunately, my brain's "go-to" musical favorites are the theme song from "The Facts of Life" and "New York, New York," both of which I hate. For nearly a month one time, the FreeCreditReport.com song was running in my head, the one about the guy who has to dress up like a pirate and serve chowder and iced tea to tourists in T-shirts, because someone stole his identity online. That wasn't actually too bad. Whoops, there it is now.
Absolutely me. And I don't choose the songs, some I like, some I detest. But they have played on in my head since I was a young kid.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,373,552 times
As long as the music doesn't turn to voices telling you to do weird things, you should be okay.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM

2,552 posts, read 2,740,154 times
Yes especially under stressful situations. Songs that I haven't heard since the 70s start playing in my head that I forgot about. Even when I used to swim competition songs would play during races in the background. Songs mark different times throughout my life.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,345,131 times
My husband has this problem and it is a problem for me It upsets me when in the morning drinking coffee he is thumping the coffee cup. He knows it and trys to stop but says songs stay with him forever.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:21 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Yesterday, I woke up with "Creep" by Radiohead playing in my brain. Then I heard it on the radio in the morning and again in the afternoon. I kind of enjoyed hearing it for real, and now it's gone away.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:31 PM

888 posts, read 890,626 times
I’ve generally preferred listening to the stillness of silence is golden when working at my job rather than having music in my background.

The same is true when I’m driving in my car. It’s been my experience that the peak concentration required of my job is best achieved in an auditory soundscape of extreme silence. If I can hear a pin drop, all the better.

Other middle-aged men are just the opposite and do best with some barely-audible “mood music” close by helping them with improved focus and productivity.

Neither of us are like the younger folks, many of whom only seem to thrive in the focus and productivity departments when there’s loud garage band hard rock music blasting. We’re all different, and we all use different props and tricks to bring out the best in our work efforts.

Lately, to my surprise, I’ve tried something different. For about the last week, I’ve had music playing in my background when working. This is something I'm developing a newfound joy.

What I’m listening to varies from day to day depending on my mood. I’ve listened to classical music, waltzes, and even some Mexican mariachi music. A couple days ago, I had a marathon session listening to classics sung by the late and great Dean Martin. This is something my RIP dear father would have highly approved.

Yesterday was more of the same, music that is, but a different artist who was at his peak in the 1950’s and 1960’s until he passed at a too-young age from cancer. I listened to his greatest hits more than once, twice or thrice until I had had enough.

It was fun while it lasted, listening to the unforgettable Nat King Cole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement