Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
Here's a video on heart disease and diet from a doctor/researcher with pretty good creds. While no single study is the definitive end point, this one suggests that some of the guidelines may not be so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3K...ature=youtu.be

It's only 22 minutes. View it and make your own decision.

FWIW, I remember when a certain sugar-bomb cereal was called healthy for the heart, while eggs were a big NO-NO. Go figure.
It would be a lot more helpful to give us a summary of what he said that you consider important.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Think about how many people went their whole lives eating egg whites and margarine, instead of whole eggs and butter?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
I just came back from getting my biometrics done for my health insurance. My HDL was 92 and my LDL was 108. I have been a vegetarian for most of my adult life and a vegan for the past few years. I had a co-worker who had to have a multiple bypass and afterward began to follow cardiologist Caldwell Esselstyne's vegan heart diet. My co-worker lost a lot of weight and his cholesterol dropped 100 points. He believes that if he had followed the diet sooner, he never would have needed bypass surgery.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM

There is controversy about whether low-fat diets prevent heart disease. I think if you follow a strict vegetarian diet, you probably also avoid junk food. I think it's the avoiding junk food that really matters.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is controversy about whether low-fat diets prevent heart disease. I think if you follow a strict vegetarian diet, you probably also avoid junk food. I think it's the avoiding junk food that really matters.
Amazing, another unsubstantiated story that meets your ideas. We will have to see if you can eliminate "junk" food and see your lipids drop.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I had a checkup and blood tests and got the results today. The doctor said my cholesterol is extremely high, 318. I said well there is nothing I can do about it because I won't take drugs, especially not statins. Anyway my blood pressure is normal.

She said it doesn't matter if blood pressure is normal, the carotid arteries could still be blocked, and that can cause a stroke.

So was I scared into getting a prescription?

No, I told her total cholesterol doesn't matter, you have to look at the ratio of HDL and LDL. Yes, I was telling an M.D how to do her job!

I told her the research on cholesterol-lowering drugs is not conclusive, and I said she should read it.

It was obvious she was getting very angry (can't really blame her), but trying to stay calm.

As soon as I got home I looked up the normal ranges for HDL and LDL. Yes my total cholesterol is high, but my HDL / LDL range is very low (1.6). So according to everything I read, I have extremely low risk of a heart attack or stroke.

And my triglycerides and VLDL are very low.

Yes I have high total cholesterol, but that means nothing, especially when you get older. In some research, high cholesterol was shown to predict better health in older people!

I have a healthy lifestyle and I exercise every day. The doctor I saw today, on the other hand, is fat.

I am posting this to see if any of you had similar experiences, and if you managed to resist getting put on harmful drugs. They really try to scare you.
I was at one point on Statins for a short period of time years ago. I have not been on since and my chlolesterol level is now 195 My /Triglycerides were 104, HDL 54, LDL120 My cholesterol had always been been moderately high it was felt because of heredity. The difference is nuturition, lifestyle, Accupuncture and supplements. Lifestyle incorporates exercise, food choices, stress levels etc. Retirement has been a big as in big plus. It allows time to do things right including a big healthy breakfast everyday.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Amazing, another unsubstantiated story that meets your ideas. We will have to see if you can eliminate "junk" food and see your lipids drop.
I don't need them to drop because the report says my risk is ONE HALF of the average risk, based on the ratios.

And of course I already avoid junk food.

If you have high cholesterol for genetic reasons, as I said several times, than lifestyle won't make a difference. But for almost everyone, lifestyle does matter.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Does anyone remember when cranberry was supposedly very bad for you?

Then turkey (I think).

Eggs.

Much longer list, I don't remember them all. But over the years, a lot of things were condemned as bad for our health.

I have cut down but not eliminated anything. And I'm still kicking at almost 75.

I really think a lot of this hype is talked about to scare the public. What real proof do they have? And do you trust it? If they can condemn one thing one year and then five years later decide, oh we made a mistake, it's OK to eat.

Nope, I don't buy any of their scare tactics.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:34 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I thought turkey is good for you, better than chicken.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought turkey is good for you, better than chicken.
This was a long time ago.

My post is to show how often food is condemned as bad and then later on they find, oh it's OK, you can eat it. That's why I don't pay attention to the warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement