Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Well, I certainly can arrange my schedule however I like and make more time to read/research, so I probably cover a wider range of topics at more depth than when I had limited time. I wouldn't say my interest level is higher, but I have more time for tangents.

I also decided to take up and instrument now that it is easier to schedule in the daily practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:52 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
I hope to become a Roads Scholar when I retire and do a lot of RV traveling.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I did a grad program after I retired (age 49). Fully paid by my previous employer and Trade Act. (including salary & Healthcare) 'No-Brainer'

It was a 'weekend' program, so I RV'd and flew home once / month for school, and to feed the farm dog.

I will be returning to EDU, as soon as I can get the 'senior discount / free'

Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM

242 posts, read 231,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
Since I retired I have become much more intellectually curious. I now want to know about everything. My interest and knowledge of varied topics continues to grow. I spend hours in the library. Read lots of books and spend hours googling topics to learn about them.

When I was working my only real interest was my job and family. I was shallow.

Can you relate?

I've always been curious and interested in many things all my life, mainly because of my father and mother. They introduced my sisters and me too many subjects: music, gardening, camping, photography, astronomy, God, our heritage, reading, world travel-- to name a few. But while I was working, I had little time to pursue all of them. Now that I'm retired I'm re-introducing them to myself one by one....well not astronomy. lol

Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
I have always been curious and learning is my life long habit.

Now that I am retired, I have more free time to do whatever I am interested in be it hiking, rowing on the river, trying new recipes, flying, traveling, reading books, surfing the web or watching 'art' movies.

With rowing season about to start again, I just ordered a dozen or so books on rowing, sculling, coaching to add to my collection. I also got few more books on bird watching, bird habits, bird DVDs, bird song CDs to get more deeply into bird watching after almost 30 years break in the habit. I did the same thing for all the subjects and activities which I was involved or interested in be it hiking, scuba diving, flying, cooking, biochemistry, anthropology, archaeology, microelectronics etc.

I have never considered myself an 'intellectual' or possessing intellectual curiosity. I am just a curious person. I think that being curious is an innate trait of primates just like this baboon in the Namib desert ;-)

"Animals Are Beautiful People - The Baboon"

BTW, I have not known anyone who suddenly change their curiosity level or interests upon retirement. People just have more time in retirement to do the things they want to do instead of having to do.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
I've always been curious and interested in many things all my life, mainly because of my father and mother. ... Now that I'm retired I'm re-introducing them to myself one by one....well not astronomy. lol
actually... as a work group, we helped a soon-to-be-retiree build a motorized telescope mount / chair.

They moved away (to get better star / night skies) so, we need to 'travel' to enjoy our efforts, but the retiree has used it for hundred of hours.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Lots of great EDU, Arts, Travel clubs, and continuing learning going on in the 'retiree' locales that are home to US National Labs! (Often very nice locations too!)

Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No. I have always been an avid reader, writer, and information hound. I just have more time and a mind free of stress and fatigue now. Life has always been about the joys of learning for me.
Lifelong learner here too, just more time to investigate things that interest me in greater depth now. Stress and fatigue has faded away, replaced by energy to fuel the curiosity.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I've been an intellectual since high school. Retirement has only accelerated my interest, and given me the time to follow it.

In fact after I retired my interest in developing new skills and new projects is going exponential!

Knowing I have less time left has increased my desire to leave a lasting impression on the world. My current project for this summer is an attempt at a novel. If not that at least art. If nothing else I'll have something to hang on my walls.

My iPad was the best $1K I ever spent! I'm a member of 7-8 libraries in 3 states and read about 20 novels/month, most of them free.

I satisfy my factual interests using the Internet and Google.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I definitely read more now that I am retired, but I also keep up my professional work skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement