Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 AM

708 posts, read 721,638 times

Advertisements

Everyone has to look at their own financial situation and what they want to do when they retire.
So much cheaper if you are staying living in your paid for house and don't travel vs someone
that wants to buy a 2nd home to snowbird and to travel. Don't get caught up on what everyone else
is doing, figure out your own finances then make a decision. One thing you need to look at hard is the
cost of taking your SS at 62. Mathjak107 has shared lots on this subject and your SS statement tells you
but it is hard to match the rate of return that SS gives you to keep you from taking your SS early and
waiting until your FRA. Especially if you have funds to live off so you don't have to take SS. Just food for
thought. It is a double whammy when you get less SS and you have to pay your own medicine premiums
until you can get on Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 07:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Everyone has to look at their own financial situation and what they want to do when they retire.
So much cheaper if you are staying living in your paid for house and don't travel vs someone
that wants to buy a 2nd home to snowbird and to travel. Don't get caught up on what everyone else
is doing, figure out your own finances then make a decision. One thing you need to look at hard is the
cost of taking your SS at 62. Mathjak107 has shared lots on this subject and your SS statement tells you
but it is hard to match the rate of return that SS gives you to keep you from taking your SS early and
waiting until your FRA. Especially if you have funds to live off so you don't have to take SS. Just food for
thought. It is a double whammy when you get less SS and you have to pay your own medicine premiums
All very good points. What makes trying to follow advice in here so dangerous is we really don't know the finances of people who share their plans. What is perfectly reasonable for one based on their financial situation might not be for another and there is little transparency about what dollar wise enables them to do what they do.

Very few share their complete financial situation unless it is limited or not real substantial. To have more and to share subjects you to charges of boasting even if presented to help others understand why you did or were able to do what you did. Even saying you have employer provided health care coverage in retirement up to age 65 and or after 65 can get a thread off track and if government provided attacked for the normal reasons. Some will share SS and a few pension but investment income is rarely shared as is total dollar value of investments.

So let the reader beware and realize that without full disclosure they probably only have a limited understanding of how what someone else did might help them.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
ss is really insurance and does not have a roi until break even age which can be as long as 22-24 years before seeing the first dollar of roi . the fact you increase by 6% to 8% a year is not an roi since there are checks given up , spousal benefits not gotten , medicare premium increases can be more and investments being spent down to see those ss increases

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ss is really insurance and does not have a roi until break even age which can be as long as 22-24 years before seeing the first dollar of roi . the fact you increase by 6% to 8% a year is not an roi since there are checks given up , spousal benefits not gotten , medicare premium increases can be more and investments being spent down to see those ss increases
All true under one set of circumstances on the other hand if EACH spouse has their own set of benefits and one (higher earner) delays until 70 and if eligible to take spousal at 66 and delay theirs until later they will be able to get SS benefits that will offset the cost of delaying. If each spouse has equal SS benefits the delaying spouse from age 66 on will be getting approx half the benefit they would be getting if they filed. This isn't everyone but some and readers often don't have enough info to know who they are similar with.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nothing wrong with a nice pair , i mean pear .
I love a man with a good sense of humor!!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I work as a primary care R.N. case manager and a good part of my job is sourcing home care services for patients and am indirectly involved with assisted living and nursing home placement. Listed below are the current average costs for these services in my state, and believe me being aware of these costs has certainly factored into my retirement planning.

Home Health Aide - 4 hours/day 5 x week = $25,000/year = $2,084/month
Assisted Living - $43,000/year = $3,584/month
Nursing Home - $105,000/year = $$8,750/month

Nobody wants their future to include relying on others to provide the care we can no longer do for ourselves, but it will be the reality for some of us and we need to be at least aware of the costs so we can plan accordingly.
Exactly what we pay for my mom.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Exactly what we pay for my mom.
what is also great about their post and your confirmation is it can let others know how expensive medical care can be as we age what we need to be prepared for if possible and that's the big if.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM

I am always confused about the SS and spousal benefits since the change. If my husband takes SS at FRA and I take it 2 years later at my FRA (getting half of his) can I let mine grow and take my own at 70?

At FRA, I would get almost same amount on my own record as I would on his (getting half his)

Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
how old ? you have restricted application open to you if you were born in 1953 or earlier . otherwise no .

Old 04-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Thank you for this summary. My husband was born 1953. I am 1955.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement