Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
So I take it her ex never married again? (Because it would seem impossible that an ex wife and current wife could both get benefits.......) ?
A quick google:

"If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if: You are unmarried; You are age 62 or older; Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits"

If You Are Divorced - Social Security
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

My sister is not married, so that may be the key factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What really matters is your monthly income, not your lifetime payout. You live on your monthly income. What if you live to be 90?
Not necessarily. It depends on the individual, how long they think they will work, is this person married and does the spouse have their own S/S, what other assets do they have they can draw on and what genetic factors may effect their longevity. There is one answer that fits all people or meets all needs.

In our case, it was begin at age 62 and allow the IRAs to grow untouched for 8 years. The present value of one's S/S, assuming no work after age 62 and living a standard life expectancy (about age 83 at that point), is the greatest at age 62 or 63. It declines from there forward. If one lives longer, then it is better to wait. The largest monthly payout may be best for some, but not for all.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
Nope, as many ex Wives as can be had for 10 years per marriage, plus the current wife of at least 2 years, can ALL collect off the original husbands SS, IF none of the women remarry. Same is true for ex husbands of wives. BUT the husband does not have to have filed, only the unremarried ex wife. (And vica versa). She is limited to 1/2 the FRA amount if both are FRA. Reduced benefits apply for filing early. If the husband dies, the current wife gets what ever is larger, her own SS OR his current one. The unmarried exwife only can take the larger as well, and can only get as much as full FRA, but can claim as early as 60 on his death (50 if disabled), same as a current wife. The ex wife can remarry after 60 and collecting ex spouse death benefits, foregoes current husbands benefits.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Nope, as many ex Wives as can be had for 10 years per marriage, plus the current wife of at least 2 years, can ALL collect off the original husbands SS, IF none of the women remarry. Same is true for ex husbands of wives. BUT the husband does not have to have filed, only the unremarried ex wife. (And vica versa). She is limited to 1/2 the FRA amount if both are FRA. Reduced benefits apply for filing early. If the husband dies, the current wife gets what ever is larger, her own SS OR his current one. The unmarried exwife only can take the larger as well, and can only get as much as full FRA, but can claim as early as 60 on his death (50 if disabled), same as a current wife. The ex wife can remarry after 60 and collecting ex spouse death benefits, foregoes current husbands benefits.
That's not quite right-( as I understand it anyway) for example- my husbands ex wife remarried but the guy died- so now she is eligible to claim off my husband again.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM

106,702 posts, read 108,880,922 times
she is eligible to claim off your husband if she has no work record of her own if she was under 62 in 2015 , but survivor benefits are usually higher since they are not based on 1/2 . if under 62 in 2015 she can only file for her own if she has a record and if 1/2 an ex husband's full benefit is higher than her own full the difference is added to her own benefit .

she cannot claim an ex spouses and let her own grow unless she was 62 or older in 2015 . survivor benefits have different rules .

Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
That's not quite right-( as I understand it anyway) for example- my husbands ex wife remarried but the guy died- so now she is eligible to claim off my husband again.
My sister had the same situation, and first husband maxed contribution while second husband marginally qualified. She is claiming spousal support on the first husband's SS claim.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
A quick google:

"If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if: You are unmarried; You are age 62 or older; Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits"

If You Are Divorced - Social Security
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

My sister is not married, so that may be the key factor.
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the info!!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
If you take your SS at 62, you are ahead of the game. If you wait to 67, you have to live to 82 just to break even with the 62 amount received. I retired at 62 and downsized and never looked back. I'm 70 now. I've got 8 years of retirement under my belt, instead of 8 extra years working. I loved my job, but retirement is better. "Money for nothing and your checks for free" to quote the Dire Straits MTV song.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
All the calculations in the world won't help you if you fall over the day you retire! You should retire and go on SS as soon as your monthly income (from all sources) will support an adequate lifestyle.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:11 PM

106,702 posts, read 108,880,922 times
why bother if you are dying the next day ? as long as we are dreaming up visions why bother waiting until 62 to retire . you can die the next day . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement