Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,495,263 times

Advertisements

....this sight is all too often in my community and the major motivating factor for me to keep up the fitness as I age.....and I'm not the only one fitness-conscious......my retirement community is filled with individuals who are in outstanding physical shape. Some in better shape than the average 20-30 yr old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

106,818 posts, read 109,073,990 times
i want to stay in good shape . with two good hips i can be quite a commodity with all those women in the home .

Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 PM

My goal is to be the strongest resident in the nursing home at the age of 90 or whenever I get there.....

Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
Just the statistics, the majority of older citizens do not ever live in a nursing home nor any other type of elder care facility.

Although some of those never living in a nursing home or other type of facility for older citizens including assisted living complexes, do end up having some type of home care assistance in their regular house or regular apartment.

(but I know you two are having fun and a bit of humor, and doing exercise and keeping in shape, as you suggest, are points well-taken)

Although the purveyors of long term care insurance differ with the statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau and other statistical sources.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-04-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 PM

actually the census data is what caused the insurers to get in to so much trouble because usage of all the various services and payouts were soooooooooo much higher today than they ever expected .

for one thing the data was based on a generation ago . 80 million baby boomers have not entered the high usage age's yet so it is really our parents much smaller generation it was based on . we are not old enough yet to be a statistic ..

in home care was far more prevalent by family as well in that generation . many who needed care did not get it since they had no insurance and couldn't afford it .

back in 1990 Medicaid cut the skilled nursing home budget in half and no longer sent all but the very worst to nursing homes . other lesser facility's were used that were not counted as nursing homes and so they fell off the statistic .

the other reason is when people have coverage they tend to use that coverage . that is what hurt the aca plans .

so the end result was insurers got blindsided with all the people who needed care under the long term care policies when statistics showed little usage .

the reality is 70% of us are expected to need some kind of long term care at some point .

the problem is we don't know which side of the statistic we are on . that goes for how long the care will be as well .

so many family's in my parents generation were blown apart because one family member stepped up to the plate and took on the burden while all the siblings stepped back . the result was lots of internal hate and fighting .

if a spouse was involved it got worse and divorce was likely as they start with why are we being burdened and your brothers and sisters do nothing .

so don't go by these supposed statistics , as the insurers learned the real world turned out not to match .

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-04-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
i think the 70 percent figure includes the people who receive home care in their regular house or apartment, does it not?

I'm not sure - would need to research it.

But the 70 percent is the figure used by the purveyors of long term care insurance.

If the 70 percent figure is including home care in one's own home, then it is misleading, because it is not giving an accurate figure of the number of people who end up living in a nursing home or other type of older citizen care facility.

(I know you're strongly in favor of long term care insurance, and have purchased it for yourself)

Last edited by matisse12; 04-04-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 AM

yes it does include in home care . all that is important is long term care is needed and it is not cheap so provisions have to be made and that is what is important .

today the idea is NOT to go to a home and only use that when you have no other choice . today modifying the home so you can stay and getting in home care is what is primarily done .

so most of us will not escape the expenses of old age unless we die . so the point is it is not the insurance company's hawking this up out of the air . the reality is it can cost a bundle for care today and tomorrow no matter how it is gotten .

Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM

I'd prefer to use the in-home over care facility if it comes to that.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:25 AM

all of us would prefer in home care .

this is where money buys choices . it can be quite expensive to modify a home to stay put rather than medicaid shipping you off up to 100 miles away from family and friends because that is where an open bed is

Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,587 times
NY Times has another interesting article on the best exercise for aging muscle

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/w...8&kwp_1=607007

Quote:
There were some unsurprising differences: The gains in muscle mass and strength were greater for those who exercised only with weights, while interval training had the strongest influence on endurance.

But more unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. Among the younger subjects who went through interval training, the activity levels had changed in 274 genes, compared with 170 genes for those who exercised more moderately and 74 for the weight lifters. Among the older cohort, almost 400 genes were working differently now, compared with 33 for the weight lifters and only 19 for the moderate exercisers.

Many of these affected genes, especially in the cells of the interval trainers, are believed to influence the ability of mitochondria to produce energy for muscle cells; the subjects who did the interval workouts showed increases in the number and health of their mitochondria — an impact that was particularly pronounced among the older cyclists.

It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did — suggesting, he says, that it is never too late to benefit from exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement