Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times

Advertisements

I'm a retired government worker with an old-fashioned defined benefit pension. The pension has no true COLA, but increases 1.5% annually.

Had a conversation with a younger friend whose retirement plan is (or will be one day) a combination of 401K's and Roth IRAs.

My friend said my pension's value is its annual gross payout divided by an average expected rate of return on most people's 401K and/or IRAs.

I'm not sure that's the way to look at it.

My pension has no cash value, though my DH will receive 50% of the pension if I die first. If he dies first, after my demise, my pension simply ends. Whereas, people with 401Ks and/or IRAs always have access to the whole of their monies in them, as well as the ability to bequeath those monies to their heirs. Conversely, my friend upon retirement, will spend down his 401K and IRA assets annually to live on.

To me, my pension has no value other than my annual income. But I am curious if there is an actuarial answer to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:27 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
Here's my $0.02:

The old rule of thumb was to have a 4% withdrawal rate from retirement accounts.
So - multiply your annual pension amount by 25 - THAT'S how much cash you'd need to have on hand to get the same amount of money each year from an equivalent retirement account.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
to have a pension that increases annually 1.5% is too huge to give it a price in my book. Many pensions to include my two do not increase annually. Some years there is no increase like SS has had.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Here's my $0.02:

The old rule of thumb was to have a 4% withdrawal rate from retirement accounts.
So - multiply your annual pension amount by 25 - THAT'S how much cash you'd need to have on hand to get the same amount of money each year from an equivalent retirement account.
Thanks. I am in a defined pension and wondered the same thing. I don't get an annual increase, though. Some years we will get a COLA. 2020 will be the first one.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
The problem with the 4% rule in calculating the value of a pension is that rule is meant to make the 401k or IRA last forever. With a pension there is an end date.

The true way to calculate the value is what is the actuarial lifespan of the pension group and what is the return you could get through investments.
So a pension might pay one party $50,000 and another party $50,000 and the average return of 5% some would say it is worth $1 million. You would not need $1 million to fund a $50k pension with a 5% return if the payout only needs to be for 15 years and you have zero at the end of the 15 years.

The benefit of defined benefit pensions is you pool the lifespan risk. You have to do that differently with an IRA or 401k

Old 03-25-2017, 01:26 PM

703 posts, read 612,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The problem with the 4% rule in calculating the value of a pension is that rule is meant to make the 401k or IRA last forever. With a pension there is an end date.

The true way to calculate the value is what is the actuarial lifespan of the pension group and what is the return you could get through investments.
So a pension might pay one party $50,000 and another party $50,000 and the average return of 5% some would say it is worth $1 million. You would not need $1 million to fund a $50k pension with a 5% return if the payout only needs to be for 15 years and you have zero at the end of the 15 years.

The benefit of defined benefit pensions is you pool the lifespan risk. You have to do that differently with an IRA or 401k
No. The 4% Rule applied to personal saving/401Ks etc is only good for a 30 yr survival rate. Not indefinitely.

In fact, it is for a 96% chance of surviving 30 years

Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Ultimately it's a probabilistic, actuarial calculation. For a single-person in poor health and already advanced age, the actual value of the pension will be low. For example, for a single person retiring at age 70, living for another 10 years, ignoring COLA and inflation (for simplicity) with a $2000/month pension - we arrive at $240,000 total payout. If an investment portfolio were to be intentionally spent down to $0 over 10 year, we'd have an equivalent portfolio of, uh, $240,000. If instead we used the 4%-withdrawal rule, which as has already been mentioned is often regarded as the "safe" rate of withdrawal, the "equivalent" portfolio is $600,000 - again disregarding inflation or COLAs. And if we downscope to a 2% rate, used by some as being commensurate with "guaranteed" stability of principal in a conservative (low stock percentage) allocation, the equivalent portfolio is $1.2M. Now assume a higher life-expectancy, or a married pension-recipient with a spouse who survives him/her by decades; the "equivalence" becomes entirely different.

So, what's wrong with these calculations? First, it's emotionally painful to dip into one's portfolio. It becomes a creature of one's obsession, and not a piggybank. A pension is by definition something to be spent, while a portfolio is for many of us something to be horded. Second, as Tom1944 pointed out, the defined-benefit pension levies the actuarial risk onto the pension-provider, while the portfolio's risk is borne by the owner. The pension offers peace of mind. How do we value that? Finally, and most important to me personally, the promise of a pension, of a monthly check, is a regular pat on the back, a testament that one structured one's life salubriously. Can a price-tag be placed on that?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Thanks for the input. I now better understand the value of my pension.

Since we're working on our taxes and have all prior years on disc, I added up my gross pension since retirement. As of the end of last year, after 13.5 years of retirement, it totals $875K.

I was lucky to retire at age 50; I'm 64 now and in good health.

I just have to hope the plan's performance and viability remains good.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:26 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
No. The 4% Rule applied to personal saving/401Ks etc is only good for a 30 yr survival rate. Not indefinitely.

In fact, it is for a 96% chance of surviving 30 years
Okay but the defined benefit pensions I looked at use 21 years as the average span and that time frame is supported by the data.

You need a lot less to last 21 years than 30 years

Old 03-25-2017, 03:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
To me, my pension has no value other than my annual income. But I am curious if there is an actuarial answer to this question.
Yes, there is a well established way to put a value on it. You find the present value of future cash flows using a well known formula for that. You would have to assume a depreciation rate which might be controversial but it would be around 4% I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement