Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

We didn't plan to, or expect to, but we did. We had 3 cars during most of our 30+ years of marriage (no kids). Almost always we had a pickup truck, a sedan/small SUV, and an old sports car (for summers).

When we retired, we sold our home, threw the golf clubs in the car and drove cross-country to find our retirement spot (we had a few spots in AZ, TX and NM on our radar, based on many vacations). Obviously we drove out west (from Virginia) together in one car (a Honda CRV).

We figured when we retired that we'd eventually need a 2nd car, but we haven't (retired in 2003). One big change: we went from the suburban-DC lifestyle (where nothing was within walking distance) to a series of small towns, which are very walkable, though not for 'big' grocery runs or big hardware stores. We also travel a lot by air. We bought a new car in December 2014 and as of today, we have 10,500 miles on it. It has spent a lot of time in airport parking lots!

We haven't really thought about it, until this weekend when we had visitors and they seemed genuinely shocked that we manage with just one car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Yes we got rid of the second vehicle a few years ago, it ( Ford Ranger) had broke down & we did not want to put any more money into it, so we donated it. When we go out, we mostly go with each other anyhow, so a second car seems wasteful. We will probably buy a new car next year, & we might keep our old car, but there again, I can't see the point of paying for registration insurance on something that is not used. When we were both working, we needed a car each, but no longer.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 AM

253 posts, read 234,760 times
Barely need the one we have.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Went to 1 car about a decade ago. Now average 4500 miles/yr on it.
Have not retired yet.
Live in city so we walk to grocery store almost every day.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
We probably can do that. We have a newish SUV for daily driving plus trips, but have kept our minivan (which looks like new) for hauling stuff like garden supplies and golf clubs.

We generally go out places together. My husband could walk to the golf course if he would be gone for several hours and I might want a car. When the bigger van dies, we might give it a try.

OTOH, my mother thought her driving skills went downhill when they switched to one car and she seldom drove. She felt she lost her independence.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Yup! From 3 to 1. 98% of the time it's great. The other 2% is a pain. But not enough of a pain to make it worthwhile to buy another vehicle and pay insurance/registration, etc. Easier to deal with the occasional inconvenience.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
We did it in September anticipating my retirement this year. We go everywhere together, my husband doesn't like driving, so we traded a small Toyota truck and a Ford for one Honda CRV. Both vehicles were having issues with this or that, so we decided to just go ahead and scale down.

Love my car!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
Yes, a CRV for about 3 years now. It works out perfectly.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM

554 posts, read 745,508 times
... We have yet to 'downsize' to just one vehicle, but we're looking ahead, to gauge what we'll need (and want), once we are both retired full-time (later this year). Both our vehicles (sedan & SUV) have been paid-off for years; mine is a '98 w/ ~148K-miles on it.

A few months ago, we 'negotiated' that we should look for a vehicle that will haul stuff, and people. We 'negotiated' that a mid-sized SUV would probably be our best-bet. We also 'negotiated' that we wouldn't purchase a new one; a 1- or 2-year-old SUV would do us very well ... Well, we think it will, anyway.

Looking at so many different, beautiful vehicles only generates "vehicle lust", so I try to only look at a few different makes & models each week, and not get attached to any one-specific car or truck. That's easy-to-say, but very hard-to-do.
My biggest excuse (for lookin') is that I've been a "truck guy" for so many years, that I can't not get all 'randy' when I see one that's just-beautiful ... I get "truck-lust", big time!

Our advanced aging will only contribute to feeling that we're less-capable behind the wheel, but hopefully, that's still 7 - 10 years away. We've got a lot of traveling to do before that happens (I hope!) ...

Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,048,998 times
Not retired yet but we've discussed down-sizing to just one vehicle when we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement