Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 PM

242 posts, read 231,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We haven't really thought about it, until this weekend when we had visitors and they seemed genuinely shocked that we manage with just one car.

He has his and I have mine. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 PM

33,587 posts, read 18,183,766 times
I have a large suv, great for picking up items instead of paying delivery charges. Lots of room for them and the dog , also have a lincoln . Both paid for so no payments. keeping them both. Insurance rates in Fl cheaper here than in NJ.. so no big expense. Thinking of buying a sports car such as a corvette. Like the new ones . Saved and made sacrifices for retirement so why not! Kids are doing fine . It is one thing I always spent money on. A nice car.. still use coupons and look at circulars and sales whenever I can save, I stretch a dollar. So , this is where I will splurge. If one car does bit the dust, I will not replace it. I just like them both for now.. and add the sports car .

Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,907,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you've not tried Uber, I'd recommend. Even car dealers are concerned this will cut into car ownership.

When the occasional need for a 2nd car arises, just Uber. Surprisingly easy and cheap.
Not retired yet and though we both work about a mile from each other, six miles from the house we still have two cars- I go in an hour earlier for now, but for retirement we will definitely go down to one compact crossover. We live in the city walkable to downtown (we walked to the baseball game today) with transit a three minute walk from the house and ride-sharing Uber/Lyft almost always less than three minutes away which we use frequently. Personal vehicles and driving will be a much less frequent activity for us in the future even as we enjoy more of the area's activities and opportunities. For road trips we'll still keep a car.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM

5,161 posts, read 3,769,722 times
Retired last year now working part time full time. Had a 2014 Camry just bought a 2017. 2007 Altima just got to be too much with repairs had 200K miles on it. I plan on working another half dozen or so years. When the 2014 starts getting to the point where repair bills add up I will sell it and go down to 1 vehicle. Wife will probably work a few years longer than me so we will need 2 cars until then. Won't mind saving a few bucks a year on the insurance and upkeep. She gets home from work very early so if I need to take care of some things I can wait.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:07 AM

987 posts, read 1,387,348 times
We got rid of everything including my 4 vehicles, 1984 Chevy Astro Van, 2006 Acura Integra, 2 mint condition 1966 classic Ford Mustangs in N. Cal after my retirement and moved to the Philippines. Since my wife never learned to drive in the U.S., we only needed one vehicle here in the Philippines, but we ended up with a slightly used 2006 Toyota Innova a few years ago and I still have my old 1979 Toyota Corolla since 1998.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 AM

761 posts, read 605,443 times
We have one nice car that we really love.

..and we take pride in not owning two.

Less is more.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,675 times
We currently have only 1 car. We gave our BMW convertible to our daughter last October to make room for a Subaru Outback.

We had planned to order the Subaru after the new year (when we qualify for the 2% below invoice discount for being a ASPCA donor for over 6 months). Then my husband hurt his back in December. His sciatica has improved to the point that he could walk without a cane but his right leg is still weak. This is not safe for driving our current manual Honda Fit.

We always had two cars before (3 cars when my daughter was at home). It took some adjustments to live with one car (and one driver!) especially when we needed to take the car to the shops.

We live within walking distance (1.5 miles) to a tire shop so I was able to drove the car, walked home and back to get it when the Honda needed inspection and new tires. When I needed to take the Fit to the dealer (10 miles away) for a recall, I had to check with the service department for the day when a free loaner car was available.

My husband thinks that he can now drive an automatic car safely and will regain normal leg movements in a month or two. However, I still want to wait for a while to buy the Subaru. If we can find a house which we like in WA or ID, it would be better to buy it after relocation. We may also consider selling the Fit before moving to simplify the moving process.

After moving, we may or may not get back into 2-car ownership again depending on whether we can take care of all transportation needs with one car + occasional transportation options.

If we want to travel with a bigger car like a minivan or a camper, there are always rental options. My husband had wanted to buy the Subaru Outback for our trip to Michigan last summer but I opted to rent the Chrysler Town & Country instead to check out car camping option. The rental was less than $300/wk with unlimited mileage. It was certainly a much better way for long distance travel with the dog in our Honda Fit.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Currently we have 4 cars.

We use 2 large sized AWD SUVs in our winter house for ski season. That way, I can get up early & hit the slopes whereas Mrs. SportandMisty can sleep in until 10 and then come to the slopes. Our house is about a 5 minute drive from the main Gondola to take us up the mountain. We really need competent snow cars as we get 400+ inches of snow each season (not a typo).

One of those SUVs we drive back and for to our summer house, where Mrs. has her hardtop convertible and I also have an old "project car" - a muscle car from the late 1960s that I'm restoring.

I'm thinking of picking up a 5th -- that Dodge Challenger Demon looks compelling for drag racing!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM

29 posts, read 28,008 times
Thanks for asking this question. I retired end of Oct 2016 & have thought asking the same thing of those on this forum that have "been there, done that!" In our case, the answer is we currently have 1 vehicle each. We purchased my Nissan in 2001 new, it has 123,000, but runs great. We decided we wouldn't get much for it to sell it, so we will keep it until it dies. At that time we will only have the 1 vehicle.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,535,738 times
We will have two vehicles as long as possible. I would be utterly depressed without my own wheels, and so would DH. We have three vehicles. An SUV, a midsize v nice car, and an old vehicle that my husband has an attachment to. It has a trailer hitch on it, and he can hook up his trailer and take things off, and pick things up, as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement