Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

Many older ex-convicts don't expect to retire | US | The Journal Gazette

This is something most of us on this board don't think about because I doubt many people on here have had multiple felony convictions. Still, this is something that does require some thought - how are felons going to support themselves as they age.

Felons are essentially barred from many sophisticated jobs that offer high pay and benefits. This makes planning for retirement harder, should the felon even have any real knowledge of retirement planning. They're often relegated to low end and unstable jobs.

I see both sides of the issue. Many felons, who are truly rehabilitated, can't get a second chance. Part of me wants to be humane and seen a chance offered. I have a couple of friends who had felony drugs charges at 18/19, and have matured and are good people today. On the other end, as a business, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Why take the chance on a felon when there are likely plenty of qualified candidates without the potential legal liability and personal baggage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 AM

547 posts, read 507,043 times
They could provide pain meds for seniors who can't get them from doctors.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
They could provide pain meds for seniors who can't get them from doctors.
I wouldn't be surprised if many end up having to going that route to provide for themselves

Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
They can still go into business for themselves.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
And after discussing politics we get back to the topic at hand and knowing someone who is a convicted felon their situation is dire to say the least.

He will never be able to retire because he has lost 10 years of income and today is working for a fourth of what he used to earn because he has lost his license. Sort of like going from professional engineer to draftmen.

That one stupid stupid decision has already cost him $1 million in lost wages and I have no doubt will cost him at least $1.5 million more between now and when he hits 70.

A ton of money for a stupidly made decision to say the least.

But he is a lucky one because at double minimum wage he is earning more than the median of his group.

Social security question; you earn $110k plus for 10 years then a big fat zero for 10 years followed by maybe $25k for 20 years to age 70. What SS benefit can you expect?

Moral of the story is live a clean life and don't do anything stupid.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
The one I know of takes advantage of every program available (getting food stamps, various vouchers, etc.) takes advantage of other people when he can and deals drugs on the side. His later years are not much different than most of his life. He is part of my spouse's family and most don't want to deal with him and I personally have not had a conversation with him in years.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Maybe these people are a large contingent of the homeless population.

It's hard enough for us non-felons. Can't imagine what they do, with everything stacked against them.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,293 times
There's always SSI for when they get to the point where they can't work

Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
There's always SSI for when they get to the point where they can't work
And if they are over 65 or handicapped. Not easy to get if under 65 and even over you have to qualify.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:02 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The one I know of takes advantage of every program available (getting food stamps, various vouchers, etc.) takes advantage of other people when he can and deals drugs on the side. His later years are not much different than most of his life. He is part of my spouse's family and most don't want to deal with him and I personally have not had a conversation with him in years.
That's probably because its all he can live on. If he could get a job alot of the other might dissipate, I can see you know nothing about how hard it is for convicted felons to make it back on the outside . They don't have alot to go on and end up in a vicious cycle in and out of prison . No one will hire , people like your family ( excuse me your IN-LAWS) won't speak to them . Perhaps you or someone SHOULD have a conversation with him .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement