Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM

61 posts, read 45,668 times

Advertisements

I definitely get what the OP is saying about the more "active" retirement pursuits vs. the less active ones. I am someone who, at bottom just loves to be busy and loves to be useful. I have been officially retired for 11 years, but only about 2 of those were without paid employment. I am currently working part-time and loving it. I enjoy feeling a part of something useful to my community and bigger than myself. When I didn't work, I looked for volunteer activities and found several satisfying ones. I also have happened into a knitting hobby and enjoy it almost daily. Despite this, I, too, have an "inner slug" and sometimes need to embrace it. It makes me happy occasionally, but mostly, as my grandma said, "Better to wear out than rust out.".

I think, as several of you have said, the key is knowing what makes you happy and having the ability to reach out for it, whether financially, geographically, or in some other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
A large number of people feel like they need to accomplish something most every day, and unless they have accomplished something daily, they feel unhappy and deflated.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A large number of people feel like they need to accomplish something most every day, and unless they have accomplished something daily, they feel unhappy and deflated.
I don't agree about unhappy and deflated, at least not for me. I have lots of things I want to learn and accomplish. Like everything worthwhile, results take time and work.

Some days I do just need to rest and recharge. Today has been one of those, but then I realized I really had done a few things:
Mixed paint and fixed a chip on my bow
Practiced archery for a couple hours after doing some research and making some changes.
Walked a mile for a bit and exercise and to see the construction occurring a few blocks away
Worked with wife on reservations for this Fall and daughters wedding.
I went to run the A/C on my camper to keep the parts lubed. It would not start so I had to go up on the roof and disassemble the cover, do a quick repair and reassemble the unit. This happened a couple of years ago so the fix was pretty quick.
Finished my laundry and folding clothes.
Did some yard cleanup and put the snow shovels away for the year.
I got my presentation together for tomorrow's photography club meeting.
There are a lot of hours left in the day, but I really don't plan on doing much. I have a juried art competition I want to enter and might get my application done tonight.

Tomorrow is a busy day. I don't feel "unhappy-deflated" about slow days but productive days are a lot more satisfying. I always enjoy learning something and being able to apply it.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Is that satire, a parody, or humble-bragging, jrkliny?

joking with you. I read your posts, so I know how you are :^)

are you wearing clothes like a homeless person might wear today? - kidding again

Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Satire, parody, humble bragging? I am really simple and don't understand. I just stated the facts. A slow day does not make be feel bad but a busy day feels rewarding.

I have no idea what you mean by clothes like a homeless person. I am wearing Sperry boat shoes, no name khaki pants from Costco, and one of my plain brightly colored shirts. This one is new and has a pocket and collar. I just bought 10 new shirts and I really like them. These have collars otherwise they are identical to the other several dozen I own. They do not fade, do not pill, last forever and are not too heavy for summer. $33 for 10 including shipping and delivered on the second day. Got to love internet shopping. Unfortunately I really did not need them.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM

That sounds like a good outfit! I was referring to the long thread entitled 'My husband dresses like a homeless person' or something similar in which you were avidly involved in posting a lot - you argued strongly and long that men should be allowed or not corrected or bothered to wear clothes daily (in public too) that make them look like what the OP called a homeless person look).

Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That sounds like a good outfit! I was referring to the long thread entitled 'My husband dresses like a homeless person' or something similar in which you were avidly involved in posting a lot - you argued strongly and long that men should be allowed or not corrected or bothered to wear clothes daily (in public too) that make them look like what the OP called a homeless person look).
As I remember it, the OP of that previous thread would consider my current clothing to be hardly a notch above the homeless category. I did state my distaste for getting "dressed up". On the other hand I might be working on the roof of my camper and still wear what I consider to be decent clothing. I pretty much got rid of my homeless person clothing 7 years ago when I retired. I have a set or two of old clothing for painting and really dirty jobs. I don't wear them except when really needed.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
So what does it mean when someone refers to a retired person or couple as living the dream? What is that dream and is it possible to define it? Is there anything close to a common concept of what living that retirement dream is? Why does the concept even exist?

Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Don't we all have our own dreams?

Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So what does it mean when someone refers to a retired person or couple as living the dream? What is that dream and is it possible to define it? Is there anything close to a common concept of what living that retirement dream is? Why does the concept even exist?
There is no commonly accepted definition, in my opinion. There are almost as many dreams as there are people.

One person's dream might be to be able to play golf almost every day of the year.
Another person's dream might be to travel a good portion of the time.
Another person's dream might be to sleep in every day and then sit on their porch the rest of the time.
Another person's dream might be to pursue a hobby rather intensely, and there are hundreds of hobbies.

That is by way of example, not limitation, as the list could be expanded quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement