Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many people received stimulation at places other than work before they retired. Retirement doesn't mean you are not around people.

Most retired people I know wonder how they ever had time to work.
The last statement is me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Sometimes busy doin' sumthin'
Sometimes busy doin' nuthin.'
Ain't keepin' score.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Let's see............

1) in charge of everything until DH retires (errands, household, pets, cleaning, cooking, etc)
2) travel
3) hobbies: photography (go to meet-ups), improve my PS and LR skills
4) hobbies: cooking
5) hobbies: crochet (helps my dexterity)
6) hobbies: have the machine, need to learn to sew
7) Training new puppy
8) Garden: herbs, tomatoes
9) Hobbies: Nature (hiking, going out to bay sandbar, etc.)
10) We are working down our Hawaii bucket list because we will move in a few years
11) Online classes
12) Gym 5 days a week

That's to tide me over until DH retires, then we add stuff (things like learn a new language).

No. Not bored.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM

61 posts, read 45,668 times
FWIW, the best thing about retirement is that whether you are busy is up to you. I want to be busy. It suits me and is good for my mental health. I got lucky and got a part-time job that I truly enjoy...with summers off, even! Before that, I enjoyed volunteering very much, and experimented with various amounts to achieve the balance of activity and leisure that feels right to me. I would highly recommend this sort of experimentation to one and all.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
The concept and practice of keeping 'busy' is being debunked of late in news articles, editorials, and discussions.

The articles point out that people are tired of hearing people say they are so 'busy' when asked how they are. Being busy has a false quality to many - a status symbol that is no longer worthy of attaining and a concept utilized to brag.

One does not need to strive for 'busyness" to be considered a worthy person or to make excellent use of time. Busyness has a quality of, for example, making up tons of errands to do all the time, just in order to stay 'busy'.

One can be engaged in life and live a dynamic life and pursue interests without seeking busyness which connotes a frantic quality to keep one from thinking about questions of life, or not to be seen by others as idle or not to be seen as not desired by others.

just passing on what is hitting the literature lately..... but I do concur that hearing people claim to be 'so busy' when asked how they are is off-putting.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I miss the mental stimulation of my job. Newly retired and bored. I hope I'll find activities that interest me in retirement since I am not physically able to do my previous hobbies: horseback riding, rafting, hiking. Now I'm reduced to walking on the beach, reading books, and hanging around here.

Going to look into teaching English as a volunteer: ESL.
Retired six months and bored to death. I think I'm becoming very depressed because I am losing the desire for just about everything. All I do is sit around or putter about the yard looking for something to do. I'm not sure what I thought retirement would be,but it wasn't this. Heck, I don't even care to go fishing and I moved to Florida so I could fish!

I retired from a super fast paced and high stress corporate job, and now I don't know what to do with myself. I've realized that the stress of the job was like a drug to me, I thrived on it.

I moved 1200 miles because that's what we had always planned to do. My new neighbors are very unfriendly and most of them work anyway.

Just never anticipated this. Hope you fare better.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Retired six months and bored to death. I think I'm becoming very depressed because I am losing the desire for just about everything. All I do is sit around or putter about the yard looking for something to do. I'm not sure what I thought retirement would be,but it wasn't this. Heck, I don't even care to go fishing and I moved to Florida so I could fish!

I retired from a super fast paced and high stress corporate job, and now I don't know what to do with myself. I've realized that the stress of the job was like a drug to me, I thrived on it.

I moved 1200 miles because that's what we had always planned to do. My new neighbors are very unfriendly and most of them work anyway.

Just never anticipated this. Hope you fare better.

That is the hard part. If you found someone to be enthusiastic about fishing with I wonder if you would be happier. Social connection can be very hard for most of us. (there is always someone that chimes in to tell us how easy it was for them)

Easy to give advice about how to find people but lots of times it just doesn't work. Don't give up. Haunt the marina or a couple specific spots and see if you see any other single fishers. Maybe ask someone if they want to split the cost of bait or a boat rental. Sometimes you just have to be somewhere long enough before something happens. Persistance sometimes pays off.

Or like by ex brother in law you can sit in bars. He has a zillion friends. Seriously. They aren't all drunks (he kind of is, one of those functional ones) he meets all types especially in Florida he meets other boaters. He also knows how to do things , like fix pretty much anything, do any kind of remodel type construction etc. etc. so he'll help people out. He is very popular.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The internet is a great time waster. Other than that, I have 90 acres to take care of, and am in the process of building a new shop/office. I'll be able to walk over there to waste time. I'm including a smithy, so I'll be able to melt and bang on metals. I'll also be able to do welding, and have several small projects in mind, including the frame for a granite picnic table by the creek. I already have the granite.

My wife is having some mobility problems, so we can't travel as much as I would like. She still serves on the board of directors of three corporations, but her participation is mostly limited to walking from the car to meetings and back, plus emails and telephone calls. She just finished the negotiations for spinning off one corporation from a parent company that has been holding it back. She has been working with the management team to renegotiate all the contracts, but their new CEO won't be on board for a couple of weeks yet. She laughs that they used to pay her big bucks for what she is doing for free now.

She's a much more social person than I am, and spends a lot of time hanging out with friends. We both agree that the biggest change since we have retired is that now we can take a nap in the afternoon.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times
I retired at the end of 2015, after my 65th birthday. I loved my work (research scientist), but grants were hard to come by and the lab had changed in ways I wasn't particularly happy with. I moved 12,500 miles from east coast to a midwest state I had never even visited. You might think that's weird, but the fact is, I have always loved moving to a new place. But, after about a year with lots of free time, I was no longer busy exploring the area and Netflix was taking up an awful lot of my time.
My apartment was safe and pretty, but not ideal in many ways--too small, low Walk Score. I tried to buy a little house in a tiny town near the city I live in. That fell through due to seller being in breach of contract.

Currently, I am two weeks into a new (part-time) job, and in the process of moving to a very roomy apartment with a huge balcony. It's right smack in the middle of a very nice part of the city and I think I will be happy there. Will get a puppy after I move in--good company for my cat.

Apparently, being bored energizes me.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:37 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Let's see............

1) in charge of everything until DH retires (errands, household, pets, cleaning, cooking, etc)
2) travel
3) hobbies: photography (go to meet-ups), improve my PS and LR skills
4) hobbies: cooking
5) hobbies: crochet (helps my dexterity)
6) hobbies: have the machine, need to learn to sew
7) Training new puppy
8) Garden: herbs, tomatoes
9) Hobbies: Nature (hiking, going out to bay sandbar, etc.)
10) We are working down our Hawaii bucket list because we will move in a few years
11) Online classes
12) Gym 5 days a week

That's to tide me over until DH retires, then we add stuff (things like learn a new language).

No. Not bored.
I'm in the same situation with a list similar to yours. DH is retiring in three years and I run the household. While the original idea was to be near family and help with the grandkids and that has been good for everyone, the bonus is not having competing careers. No more lively discussions about who needs to take time off for whatever needed one of us in attendance. No more getting home after a long day at work only to take care of everything because DH was traveling. I could count on a nor'easter or heavy snowstorm/ice storm whenever he was out of town. Always. Finally, no more trying to fit a 30 hour day into 24.

I love having time to take care of things now and while I try not to mulltitask since I had my fill of that working, I still love using time management and being efficient. I'm as engaged and connected as I want to be, choices are good.

Our weekends are full and I expect them to stretch out and fill into weeks when he retires: a good thing with even more choices. In the meantime, this is working out well for both of us.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-13-2017 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement