Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 04:50 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
For safety, avoid alcohol and talk to your doctor before using tramadol with antidepressants. In combination with SSRIs, it can cause seizures.

The metabolites are the actual pain killers. Like codeine, about 6% of the population can't metabolize it and get little pain relief.
Here's what you have to be acutely aware of when you use Tramadol: it rewires your brain just like the SSRI's so when you discontinue it after long-term (like 3 months or so) not only will you have withdrawals but you'll also get those horrible brain zaps like when you miss your dose of antidepressant. Beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I seriously doubt those meds got destroyed. They were either consumed by whoever they were handed to for destruction or sold on the street.
They destroyed them right in front of me by crushing, extended oxy is useless crushed, they then put them in a huge zip loc filled with water and out in my trash

Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree this is a problem, but I dispute that it's a "large percentage of RN's". I think it's a very small percentage, most RNs are not addicts.
Exactly!! Think the poster has watched too much Nurse Jackie

Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
lenora, I'm confused (I usually am ) All 50 states are hooked into the PDMA which monitors all scheduled drug prescribing going on in their respective states, so I don't know what you mean by Maryland and DC not strictly regulating opioid prescriptions. If that were the case wouldn't those who desperately need opioid meds to control their pain, and who had the financial means to move, simply move there to be able to get their meds?
Since I'm not familiar with the PDMA I did a quick search and the regulations do not appear to pertain to individuals. That is, the feds are monitoring wholesale distributions looking for fraud, illegal transfers, etc. Physicians, in general, are not considered wholesale distributors.

ETA: By strictly regulating opioid prescriptions, I was referring to opening the state's prescription database to the practitioners in our bordering states. The article indicates VA recently passed legislation that allows that. MD has not.

Last edited by lenora; 05-12-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
lenora, I'm confused (I usually am ) All 50 states are hooked into the PDMA which monitors all scheduled drug prescribing going on in their respective states, so I don't know what you mean by Maryland and DC not strictly regulating opioid prescriptions. If that were the case wouldn't those who desperately need opioid meds to control their pain, and who had the financial means to move, simply move there to be able to get their meds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Since I'm not familiar with the PDMA I did a quick search and the regulations do not appear to pertain to individuals. That is, the feds are monitoring wholesale distributions looking for fraud, illegal transfers, etc. Physicians, in general, are not considered wholesale distributors.
Lenora, it appears that you looked up the Prescription Drug Marketing Act (PDMA), which isn't related to what thrillobyte was referencing. It appears that he is referring to Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs), although I'm not sure why he's using PDMA for an acronym to describe it/them. He also apparently thinks there is a single, national database when in fact the PDMPs are state-run entities. Consequently, there are numerous PDMPs, each run by an individual state. And the information collected isn't uniform; for example, each state determines which controlled substances must be reported, who does the reporting, and how often the data is transmitted. The state also determines who can access the data.

But then again, I could be wrong as well, and thrillobyte's PDMA could be something else entirely!

Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Here's what you have to be acutely aware of when you use Tramadol: it rewires your brain just like the SSRI's so when you discontinue it after long-term (like 3 months or so) not only will you have withdrawals but you'll also get those horrible brain zaps like when you miss your dose of antidepressant. Beware!

This is absolutely not true in every case. I took Tramadol long-term (6 months) after a foot-fusion surgery seven years ago. I stopped it cold-turkey when I had healed enough to not need it anymore. I had absolutely no side effects and no withdrawal problems at all.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
This is absolutely not true in every case. I took Tramadol long-term (6 months) after a foot-fusion surgery seven years ago. I stopped it cold-turkey when I had healed enough to not need it anymore. I had absolutely no side effects and no withdrawal problems at all.
The vast majority of people will never get addicted to anything. Even tobacco, which is horribly addictive, does not affect that many people. 80% of people who stop smoking do so without problems. I smoked for 25 years. I took a 3-day, weekend, decaffeinated myself the same day, and slept through the withdrawal. The habit is harder to break than the addiction. After you practice sucking on a cig 2 or 3 million times, the habit gets really ingrained. Kicking the drug is really pretty trivial, and nicotine is 100x as addictive as any narcotic.

There is a small percentage of the population with a defective metabolism that makes them prone to narcotic addiction. I was on morphine after surgery many years ago, and found the experience to be intensely uncomfortable. It was great for the pain, but I hated what it did to my time sense and my ability to think. I can't imagine wanting to use it recreationally, but some people do.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The vast majority of people will never get addicted to anything...There is a small percentage of the population with a defective metabolism that makes them prone to narcotic addiction...

I agree. However, the person to whose post I was responding stated that Tramadol affected all people negatively.

Some people take one experience and use it to make a blanket statement.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM

775 posts, read 776,559 times
They are doing the same things for sleeping pills. I was told that once I was old enough for Medicare, that I would need a lot of Tylenol PM as it would no longer be covered. Not sure how true that is, but I had better get my sleeping problem figured out by then.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
They are doing the same things for sleeping pills. I was told that once I was old enough for Medicare, that I would need a lot of Tylenol PM as it would no longer be covered. Not sure how true that is, but I had better get my sleeping problem figured out by then.
That's not true in the slightest. Before GWB and Medicare Part D, NO prescription drugs were covered, so maybe that is what she was talking about. Part D does not make judgements about what people should or shouldn't be taking. It's strictly insurance, there are no gatekeepers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement