Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times

Advertisements

Hunh? Then it isn't income. Its tax deferred savings.

S&M: if you pay 40% for interest, then you have other income that propels you to the 40% bracket. Doesn't make sense if you are retired and not working, with no pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 03:33 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I pay a fortunate and get zero interest rates for doing so. The fed gov is a disaster

Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I pay a fortunate and get zero interest rates for doing so. The fed gov is a disaster
Write much?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
I am shocked how little taxes I am paying in my first full year of retirement (2016).

I was used to paying Social Security and Medicare Taxes and a higher tax bracket. Now I have the same take (real) home income after taxes but far fewer taxes.

Taxable dividends (mostly qualified) so 0%

Capital Gains (At most 15% of TAXABLE income)

Sale of stocks bonds and mutual funds (Mostly 0% because they are long term holdings.)

With the standard deduction and two personal exemptions, I pay almost no taxes on $50K in dividends, capital gains and sale of investments. What is your story with taxes in retirement?
You just wanted to brag eh?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Hunh? Then it isn't income. Its tax deferred savings.

S&M: if you pay 40% for interest, then you have other income that propels you to the 40% bracket. Doesn't make sense if you are retired and not working, with no pension.
Non qualified deferred comp.
Royalties.
Rental income.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 AM

28 posts, read 27,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Taxes are our single largest expense. My healthcare premiums are second.
You guys who are paying so much in taxes must be very high income.

My wife and I can make up to $74K in taxable income and still be in the 15% tax bracket, which allows us to pay 0% on long-term capital gains and qualified dividends, which is a good percent of our income.

Aren't most retired couples making less than $74K in taxable income (after all the deductions) in America?

Our health care premiums are low because of ObamaCare subsidies. Life is good.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
very few people in that income range maintain brokerage accounts with equities in them . you will find most have only their ira's and 401k's with investments in them so zero capital gains brackets do them no good .

if it turns out one is not in the 15% tax bracket and do have equities in their brokerage account then odds are they shot themselves in the foot doing it that way . even a 1% distribution over time wipes out any tax savings in a brokerage account if it turns out with rmd's and ss your are not in the 15% bracket or consumed to much of the 15% bracket with other income .

all other income you get fills up the bucket first and only what can still fit in that bucket after all other income qualifies for special zero capital gain rates .

there are also different rules as far as what is qualified dividends when using funds . it is not based on a 1 year hold . it has to do with how long the fund holds the stocks as well as your holding period . .

last year was our first full year in retirement . we ate up that zero capital gains bracket pretty quickly and i am delaying social security so far .

we had 8k in social security from my wife , 20k in pension , 5k in interest income from some lease rights we sold and 20k from me doing a bit of consulting work in retirement and about 15k in interest from our bond funds in the taxable account . all the rest we spent came from cash so it did not count .

so the bucket started out filled with 68k before our first dividend and fund distribution goes in , less deductions and exemptions of course . .

here is a good explanation of the zero capital gains bracket from michael kitces.

this is his summary with a great tip about not harvesting losses , but harvesting gains . .

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

For “lower income” individuals whose income falls within the bottom two ordinary income tax brackets, the Internal Revenue Code applies a 0% long-term capital gains rate to the extent their gains also fall within the lower two brackets. However, the 0% rate only applies as long as the income actually does fall within those lower brackets – which means “too much” in capital gains will eventually cross out of the 0% rate and into the higher tax brackets.

Nonetheless, the potential for 0% long-term capital gains rates means that for those who are eligible, the best thing they can do every year is not harvest capital losses – the “typical” capital gains strategy – but instead to harvest gains! By selling investments that are up, and buying them back again immediately (without any wash sale rules to navigate!), the taxpayer can effectively get a step-up in basis on current investments without any (Federal) tax liability!

Of course, the caveat to this strategy is that while long-term capital gains may be eligible for 0% rates for lower income individuals, it is still income itself, potentially impacting certain deductions and tax credits, and the taxation of Social Security. In addition, harvesting capital gains must be coordinated with other strategies, like partial Roth conversions, which can potentially drive up long-term capital gains rates and make capital gains harvesting less effective. Still, though, the potential to claim a free step-up in basis is not one to be missed, for any years where income is low enough to take advantage of the rules, whether due to just having income low enough to qualify, having a “temporarily” low income year due to a job loss or change, or simply looking to harvest capital gains once retired when wage income is gone and required minimum distributions have not yet begun!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/understa...p-up-in-basis/

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-12-2017 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 05:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
We paid $0 fed taxes in 2015 and about $50 in 2016.

This is due to 15% tax bracket 0% along with the 21k no tax tier for married filing joint that we use up on Roth conversions.

The $50 in 2016 was because of slightly off estimate on income for ACA subsidies that got reconciled with tax filing, I probably could have done a late December dance to avoid that too but not worth the trouble.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
I am shocked how little taxes I am paying in my first full year of retirement (2016).

I was used to paying Social Security and Medicare Taxes and a higher tax bracket. Now I have the same take (real) home income after taxes but far fewer taxes.

Taxable dividends (mostly qualified) so 0%

Capital Gains (At most 15% of TAXABLE income)

Sale of stocks bonds and mutual funds (Mostly 0% because they are long term holdings.)

With the standard deduction and two personal exemptions, I pay almost no taxes on $50K in dividends, capital gains and sale of investments. What is your story with taxes in retirement?
Lucky you!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
You guys who are paying so much in taxes must be very high income.

My wife and I can make up to $74K in taxable income and still be in the 15% tax bracket, which allows us to pay 0% on long-term capital gains and qualified dividends, which is a good percent of our income.

Aren't most retired couples making less than $74K in taxable income (after all the deductions) in America?

Our health care premiums are low because of ObamaCare subsidies. Life is good.
These are individual personal responses and not generalizations about other people. That being said assume that people saying they are paying a lot of taxes are not on the most side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement