Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times

Advertisements

Found out, as per many examples here, he discovered he had cancer (don't know what kind) 2-3 months ago. Crazy thing is, while time seems like it's dragging as I wait for my retirement date, I would have sworn I spoke with him 3-4 weeks ago. Checked my calendar, and it was end of January!!! He seemed fine then.

There is no real problem for me, just a bit of shock I guess. I like to think that I am realistic enough that this wouldn't bother me. My father took terrible care of himself and is a very healthy 78. DW tells me all the time to retire. It is better for her (and me) if either or both live longer, as our family histories have been, for me to work at least 2 more years. I agree with everyone that said "you will know when"...

Thank you for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
By the time you hit mid-60s you will suddenly see people who just drop dead around you.

Gulp!

It's why I now advise everybody to retire as soon as they are financially able.

Life is short. Eat dessert first!
Retirement isnt the panacea every one thinks it to be,it can be boring as heck,your social dynamic can take a big hit,remaining relevant in life becomes a challenge.Rather than dream about what you will do in retirement think about what activities will actually fill your everyday existence as it may not line up with the dream.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:05 AM

231 posts, read 495,202 times
Age 70 and can't imagine retiring. Self-employed with retail and wholesale businesses. Worked all my life 60-80 hours per week. No hobbies. I know most people want to be free from work duties, but I have enjoyed the challenge and the diversity each day brings.

Had two different cardiologists advise me to "keep working as long as you enjoy it and are able to." Known many people that don't have many years to enjoy life after there retirement. I not saying this is true for everyone, it's just a trend I've noticed. My father "retired" at age 90 from our family business. He kept business paying invoices, etc. His mind was sharp to the end.

Best retirement activity would be grandchildren.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Retirement isnt the panacea every one thinks it to be,it can be boring as heck,your social dynamic can take a big hit,remaining relevant in life becomes a challenge.Rather than dream about what you will do in retirement think about what activities will actually fill your everyday existence as it may not line up with the dream.
I can't help but wonder if some of the people that want to work to the very end and retirees who fill every minute of their days with activities aren't one and the same. What are they avoiding?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I can't help but wonder if some of the people that want to work to the very end and retirees who fill every minute of their days with activities aren't one and the same. What are they avoiding?
Yes, some of them might be avoiding something, perhaps the vacuity within. But in a lot of cases actively embracing something is not out of avoidance of something else. They might be embracing:

-- Meaningful social contact
-- Welcome and interesting mental challenges
-- The gratification of being helpful to others, of making a difference

Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We all know people who worked into their late 60's or 70's and died on the job. People die while working in their 60's and 70's. People die while retired in their 60's and 70's. People die. We've had 3 retired friends in their 60's who lived in our neighborhood and died in the last 12 months, and only one was from disease. 2 were killed in freak accidents.

Live your life as well as you know how for as long as you can. One day it's just "lights out".

Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Happened again. A co worker I knew for oh...25-30 years that retired in 2010. After a few years doing this and that, he got bored and was hired back as a contractor to manage a project (construction side, maybe 6 weeks) a few years back. Spoke to him at the time at length maybe 2 years ago, about retirement, why he came back etc. He loved being retired. Great pension. In charge of his life. No money issues. Just liked being around his work friends, and the extra money. Spoke to him about 3 weeks ago, had decided to take on another project I would be associated with...great money, easy work....

Died yesterday.

No details as yet, but not yet 70 for sure. Intellectually I know it's statistically insignificant, but my gut reaction is "Retire ASAP". I can. What am I waiting for? (Rhetorical....., I KNOW what I'm waiting for).

I assume everyone not yet retired but close, gets that feeling??
You appear to be implying that working longer killed him. My father retired at 62 and died at 70 from lung cancer. Most people believe he died young (not necessarily in my family).

There are no guarantees as to how long we will live, despite what the experts think. I simply don't want it to end at the hands of beer truck driver or a savage criminal.

I'm leaning toward early retirement, but some say that can speed up dying also. But, it will be my choice, as it was your friend's to go back to work.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
<SNIP!>

No details as yet, but not yet 70 for sure. Intellectually I know it's statistically insignificant, but my gut reaction is "Retire ASAP". I can. What am I waiting for? (Rhetorical....., I KNOW what I'm waiting for).

I assume everyone not yet retired but close, gets that feeling??
... Or very close to that feeling, Perryinva! ...

I began having that feeling a couple of months ago. As-of today, I have 21-days left until I walk out the door for good.
A few months ago, I was "taking inventory" of life, and we (DW & I) were making plans for the upcoming Summer vacation(s). It kind-of hit me then, that I should be thinking more about permanent retirement, instead of just these little, part-time, days off.
This also figured-in to it ... I'm going to be 72 very soon ...

That, along with some memories of relatives who didn't last very long after retiring, and I decided that I'm getting-out now, while I still have my health, and my brain still functions well enough to read a map, play a drumset, remember my good friends' names, and 'keep tabs' on retirement funds & savings accounts.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:09 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Wasn't implying that he worked too long at all! He took an early packeage (he had planned for age 60) and left with near full pension at 58. The package more than made up for what he lost (or even would have lost) as he had over 30 years. So, in fact, his early retirement gave him 2 more best health years than he would have if he stayed. No, I was just referencing the in my face mortality of appearing perfectly healthy and then dying shortly thereafter, not from an accident, and how it affected my view of still working. While I like my work and certainly the pay, I would still rather not for all the reasons everyone already knows.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Or very close to that feeling, Perryinva! ...

I began having that feeling a couple of months ago. As-of today, I have 21-days left until I walk out the door for good.
A few months ago, I was "taking inventory" of life, and we (DW & I) were making plans for the upcoming Summer vacation(s). It kind-of hit me then, that I should be thinking more about permanent retirement, instead of just these little, part-time, days off.
This also figured-in to it ... I'm going to be 72 very soon ...

That, along with some memories of relatives who didn't last very long after retiring, and I decided that I'm getting-out now, while I still have my health, and my brain still functions well enough to read a map, play a drumset, remember my good friends' names, and 'keep tabs' on retirement funds & savings accounts.
Congrats on being only 21 days from freedom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement