Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,080,870 times

Advertisements

Happened again. A co worker I knew for oh...25-30 years that retired in 2010. After a few years doing this and that, he got bored and was hired back as a contractor to manage a project (construction side, maybe 6 weeks) a few years back. Spoke to him at the time at length maybe 2 years ago, about retirement, why he came back etc. He loved being retired. Great pension. In charge of his life. No money issues. Just liked being around his work friends, and the extra money. Spoke to him about 3 weeks ago, had decided to take on another project I would be associated with...great money, easy work....

Died yesterday.

No details as yet, but not yet 70 for sure. Intellectually I know it's statistically insignificant, but my gut reaction is "Retire ASAP". I can. What am I waiting for? (Rhetorical....., I KNOW what I'm waiting for).

I assume everyone not yet retired but close, gets that feeling??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
2 coworkers have died since March (46 and 56). I get the feeling.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:59 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Well, none of us knows when the Reaper will come for us. All you can do is keep yourself in the best physical shape that you can, I am a big believer in exercise as the sovereign remedy for almost anything.

But your friend came back to work because he wanted to, he chose to manage that construction project instead of play golf, or fish, or whatever other recreational activity he would do if not working. He was getting what he wanted out of life till the end. There are worse outcomes.

I have posted up about my sitch here, how I like my job, it's not really hard for me but it is challenging enough that it keeps me engaged, I like the money, I like socializing with my co-workers, who for a change are a real peer group. Your sitch is similar.

Me, personally, I would be nuts to retire voluntarily before I hit 60 later this year, the pension goes up sharply per year until then. Even experienced and maybe even "revered" engineers like us can stay on full time or part time at our old jobs, but, we are a damn hard sell to a new employer. Could of course retire, take the health benefits, and go contracting.

But, for example, my lawn is pretty overgrown, has been raining the last couple of weekends. If I was retired I'd cut it today. But in the grand scheme of things, obviously this is not so important to me, because I could have taken a day of vacation, and I didn't. I preferred to come in and be an engineer, do the real work I was cut out for, rather than use myself as a yard man.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:49 PM

526 posts, read 386,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Happened again. A co worker I knew for oh...25-30 years that retired in 2010. After a few years doing this and that, he got bored and was hired back as a contractor to manage a project (construction side, maybe 6 weeks) a few years back. Spoke to him at the time at length maybe 2 years ago, about retirement, why he came back etc. He loved being retired. Great pension. In charge of his life. No money issues. Just liked being around his work friends, and the extra money. Spoke to him about 3 weeks ago, had decided to take on another project I would be associated with...great money, easy work....

Died yesterday.

No details as yet, but not yet 70 for sure. Intellectually I know it's statistically insignificant, but my gut reaction is "Retire ASAP". I can. What am I waiting for? (Rhetorical....., I KNOW what I'm waiting for).

I'm not seeing the problem here. He was doing exactly what he wanted. He loved being retired, but also loved being around friends, doing the projects, etc.

How does this mean you should retire now. And, what will happen when you retire? what will you do?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 PM

888 posts, read 889,783 times
Found out that an old church friend who I haven't seen in a while is 102. Father-in-law is 89. Mom just celebrated 86th birthday two days ago. We all know someone who died too young and is still living a long life. Hard to base retirement decisions on stuff like this.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Working in an office or out on the golf course, when it's your time it's your time. He was happy, doing his thing, that's the most important part.
So get busy being happy-fishing or golfing or sitting in your cube farm or digging ditches!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
I think we can come to two conclusions. You should retire as early as you can. You should work as long as you enjoy work.

I vote for working as long as you enjoy it. Might be that you retire from your current job and start your own business or go to a start up company. The idea is to do what you enjoy.

I am not considering financial factors in the answer.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
PerryinVa, two thoughts - what did he die of? (I know you do not know yet, but maybe you can let us know when you find out - I'm just curious)

and as an aside, perhaps he did not like retirement as much as he said he did. People do not always tell the truth about such things. People keep many thoughts to themselves.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-11-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
It might not have anything to do with work. My sister knew one who died recently of breast cancer and she never ever worked. She lived off an inheritance. She was not quite 60 yet.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post

Died yesterday.

We are all individual samples however the vast statistics state what they state.

It's all gambling but the odds are well known and constantly updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement