Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 AM

21,898 posts, read 12,998,839 times

Advertisements

I've done all of the above. Burial is problematic if you aren't able to dig a hole in the back yard, for whatever reason (either you can't or don't have one). Cremation services are ridiculously expensive and exploitative, in my opinion. It's convenient to just leave the body with the vet, but that somehow doesn't feel sufficiently respectful. The most satisfying solution I've found is -- ironically -- donating the body to science. We happen to have not a vet school, but an animal science college in our nearby university, and -- because my pet died in surgery under anesthesia unexpectedly and rather mysteriously, the vet was anxious to exonerate himself by finding some underlying, previously undetected medical problem with a necropsy. I had the satisfaction of knowing that my loss at least contributed to veterinary knowledge, and the problem of what to do with the body was resolved for me at no cost. But I admit I have a somewhat atypical attitude toward bodies, both animal and human. Once the spirit has departed, to me it's no more than an wrecked car or a worn-out suit of clothes to be discarded. It's merely the old vehicle for the actual person or animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:26 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Once the spirit has departed, to me it's no more than an wrecked car or a worn-out suit of clothes to be discarded. It's merely the old vehicle for the actual person or animal.
Thank you for that, it's how I feel, except animals & spirits- whole other thread LOL

Last edited by kelly237; 05-30-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 12:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,809 times
Bake & Shake.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times
You could have them freeze dried.

Check out the photo gallery, some rich comedy material IMHO

PERPETUAL PET - Pet Preservation Freeze Dry Taxidermy Service

Old 05-30-2017, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
No we took them to a taxidermist. Now they are with me all the time.

JUST KIDDING! Yes, cremated remains.
I can't stop laughing.

Never cremated any animals. Burred them though. Is it illegal to toss them in the trash?

Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I cremate them. Their cremains arent so large that you cant keep them stacked in a closet.
When I go I will be cremated and their cremains will be mixed with mine. Hopefully. Not sure who will see to that....
Since I have my mother's and the one cat, I would want them buried with me.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
They didn't even mention that the weight made a difference in price. The vets around here are rip off artists. I've never gotten out of there for less than $200. There's a low cost clinic that only does vaccines and spay/neuter. That helps.
My dad was going to get his dog fixed and the vet wanted $435 but the clinic had a grant for pit bulls so it was $75. The vet was trying to shame him for going there! It's not even worth finding another vet cuz they are all overpriced.

I don't know if they all charge by weight and this is the first time I've ever used this service. The most I've ever paid for a spay/neuter is $80. The most I've ever paid for treatment was around $1,000 because my cat developed diabetes and other problems. Then I spent a year keeping him alive with insulin shots and (expensive) special foods. Vets are as expensive as human doctors anymore. Sigh.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
This is a little off topic but I did ask my vet in Chandler why vets charge so much.

He said it was the need to compete. If other vets got an expensive machine in the office, he had to do it too. He also said the cost of overhead (the office in a very nice shopping center) was expensive rent. And then all the associates. They had to be paid. Then there are tests for animals that are sent outside to a lab, which charges whatever they want to. And malpractice insurance. And continuing ed for the vet. Add on any advertising done (newspaper, internet, etc) and you have more expense. It all adds up.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 AM

21,898 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This is a little off topic but I did ask my vet in Chandler why vets charge so much.

He said it was the need to compete. If other vets got an expensive machine in the office, he had to do it too. He also said the cost of overhead (the office in a very nice shopping center) was expensive rent. And then all the associates. They had to be paid. Then there are tests for animals that are sent outside to a lab, which charges whatever they want to. And malpractice insurance. And continuing ed for the vet. Add on any advertising done (newspaper, internet, etc) and you have more expense. It all adds up.
I think medical care -- for people, as well, but especially for animals -- needs to take a step back in time about fifty years, when only what was actually necessary was done. Animals can't consent to complex, time-consuming, painful, expensive, and anxiety-producing tests and procedures and don't understand what's going on; all they know is that they're frightened and being hurt. Honestly, I think "well checks" and about half of what's done in vet offices these days is just ridiculous. Fix what you can when needed and, when a pet gets old and sick and disabled, give him a humane and dignified passing. I believe vets guilt pet owners into aggressive, costly procedures and treatments more to pad their own pockets than for the true well-being of the animals. To some extent, the same goes for human medical care. I stay away from the doctor unless I'm practically dying; the more you go, the more they find, and the more it costs. It's a for-profit business, and simply what they do. Educate and protect yourself, and be a fearless advocate for the true well-being of the pets who are trusting you, too.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
As a retiree, I have had a few pets who died and was uncertain as to what to do ? Cremate them? Bury them somewhere? Find a pet cemetery?

My most beloved cat died in 1997. He was 19 and I buried him in my yard. (It was ok then to do so). But then I moved to another state so I dug him up and re buried him in my mother's garden. His sister passed so I buried her along side of the house where no one could see the gravesite.

Since then, I have cared for 3 other cats. Two were my kid's cats and one was, again, my very own beloved darling calico. She died a year ago and I now have 3 cats in boxes in my den. All cremated.

Here's the problem. I now have 2 elderly dogs. When they pass, what to do? I cannot keep cremating these pets and stacking them up in the closet. What do other retirees do? These pets were all rescues and were old, like me. I truly do not want to be cremated and kept in a box in the closet.

I wish there was a pet cemetery here. That would be a good solution. So what do you do?
Ours is in a urn on the upstairs fire place mantle. Behind decorative items
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement