Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I have occasionally had lunch with a couple of my former co-workers but haven't stopped by the office. I don't think I would have much in common with most of the them anymore.
That's exactly how I feel. I do some part-time work that occasionally brings me to the neighborhood, but I don't feel like going up to the office. I left because I was done there. I keep in touch with a couple of people who are still there, and I meet a couple of other retirees for lunch or dinner a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Nope, I would not go back. I moved 2100 miles away, and will only go back to California to pick up grand kids, see my aunt or an elderly neighbor from my childhood. Or if a plane lands there on to way to a vacation.

BUT I am working on one project as a consultant for my work. They got funding to do it right before I retired. I would not stay longer, but did agree to work very part time, temporary on just that project as a consultant. And with the agreement that I would never have to go anywhere to do the work except my home 2100 miles away, only phone calls and e-mails, no meetings. And that is only because its a project that I wanted to do for years...but we kept losing the funding.

BTW, one man that did retire used to come back and meet a few friends for lunch a time or two each week. The wicked district manager said he could not come into the building and would have to meet folks at the restaurant. And its a public building...wicked lady that district manager was!

So....nope! I'd never go back!

Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Nope and don't plan to either. I'm not bitter or anything like that and I've met with my former co-workers and boss away from work several times... "I'm" no longer part of that team and basically, it was time to move on to another chapter in my life.

In my profession, most of us retire in our early/mid 50s and many of us tend to re-enter the workforce, in a different carreer field, for another 5-6 years before fully retiring.

We had one guy retire and he came to the office at least once a week for a year or so.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Funny to come upon this thread, because we just returned from our home state of NC after having lived their for 17 years. We both retired to FL one year ago and visited our old respective job sites.

We were greeted by many hugs and enjoyed sharing stories about both life after retirement and "the old grind!"

We're glad we did it and our former colleagues seemed genuinely happy to see us.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
We had one co-worker who had a hard time retiring. She had been there 42 years, and we kidded her that she was institutionalized, like the old librarian in The Shawshank Redemption.

She came back to visit once a month for about six months after she retired, and she said she was not happy in retirement. Then her first grandchild was born, and we didn't see her anymore.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
I did stop by 3 month after I left, To have lunch with a friend. Said Hi to a few people as I passed them. But Going out to lunch with a friend was the activity just meet him @ the office.

I'm now 800 miles from my office, Will be going back to town in about 1 month. Will probably do lunch again. But will be a parking lot meetup, or restaurant meet up.

There has been so much turn over in the last year most of the people I know have been forced out by the outsourcing, or retired .

Retirees from two other offices have "Retire" Lunches once a month, or every other month at a restaurant near the office, Also there is a very active FaceBook Retiree page.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We had one co-worker who had a hard time retiring. She had been there 42 years, and we kidded her that she was institutionalized, like the old librarian in The Shawshank Redemption.

She came back to visit once a month for about six months after she retired, and she said she was not happy in retirement. Then her first grandchild was born, and we didn't see her anymore.
One of the (better) Vice Principals retired and came in three days a week for almost two years. A few of us finally staged an intervention.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I don't but that doesn't mean I don't think about the building and ambiance. The work environment has never been a favorite. I liked my work but have all my life had a bit of a sinking sense of imprisonment upon entering the workplace and knowing I had to spend eight hours in the building.

I like to work at what I'm good at but having to physically be there for a set number of hours has always dampened my sense of spontaneity. The politics and bureaucracy of the job were also stifling. I don't care to recreate memories of that.

But the people I worked with are still significant to me and I see them from time to time. We share good memories. It's also a good reminder of our accomplishments and I can always use a boost in that department.

DH, on the other hand, thrived on his work and truly struggled in his early years of retirement. I think he must go to visit for coffee at least once a week and he also spends an afternoon once a week with retired workmates. I'm glad that he finds affirmation in that and has it. It's a short time and soon people won't remember who you are!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
There's a certain joy of walking into the old haunting grounds, not having to don a hairnet and an apron, and having the liberty of walking out any time you wish to your next hangout, be it the swimming pool or golf course, while your former colleagues wave goodbye and return to the old routines and dream.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Everywhere I worked retired employees were always welcome for an occasional visit... as long as it was at break time... plus they often brought goodies or news with them.

It was the norm where I work now until about 4 years ago... NO ONE stops by and all that have retired decline any to-do about it... no more dinners or even pot lucks... just like closing a chapter and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement