Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 15,122 times

Advertisements

Retired 3 weeks back. Had a keen interest in Business, Management, Leadership books. But now, what is the use? Several good books are unread or half-read in these categories. But I have no will power left to finish these. Whom I am going to advise? No one from work approaches me, including those who pretended that they respected my views a lot.

How to let go of that experience and skills ? But, I am working on tuning myself to read more of fiction, philosophy. Hope that works out well. Meditations is one book. Several on investment philosophy on the rack. Let me see how to accept the change and fulfil my time to best possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
I retired in 2010 from radiology medical transcription. I had a lot of books, notebooks, etc. I devoted a lot of time (including at home time) putting together cross-reference books, etc., as much of that terminology was complicated and at times a word might apply to one part of the body, it might also apply to another. The more technical stuff needed a book by itself.

When I left work, I left the word books (all purchased by me, they are not cheap) in the office I worked in at the time I left. I sold one pharmaceutical book that someone asked to buy from me. All the notebooks, cross-reference books, technical notes....... were thrown out. I knew I would never need them again. I had also made copies of hundreds of reports and filed in notebook by the type of procedure. Invaluable references.

I did keep a medical dictionary (at times quite informative for my own interest and of course for work purposes). I also kept a simpler pharmaceutical book, again for my own interest.

I enjoyed my work (unless a doctor had an unbelievably hard accent for which even the shortest of reports could take a long time to type).

But I am happy in retirement. I saw no purpose in keeping all those references that I needed while working.

Sadly, many transcription jobs have been replaced by the computer. It used to be doctor dictated, transcriptionist typed/proofread/corrected errors, doctor signed off and reports mailed to referral doctors.

The only drawback to my job was I discovered that my sister had terminal cancer because I typed her report. We were estranged at the time.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 06-12-2017 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Edited by NYgal1542: Just realized how far off topic I wandered. My apologies.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
There is a thread in the Entertainment/Books section of C-D that is awesome, both a Fiction and NonFiction.

My tastes are extremely eclectic, everything from books on my hobbies, historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy. Not big on murder mysteries or romance. I love books about general knowledge, like Byrson's A Short HIstory of Nearly Everything, Gladwell's What the Dog Saw, and Freakanomics.

What are you interested in?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
I'm reading _Our Mutual Friend_ (Dickens) one chapter at a time, while soaking in the tub. I think this is the fourth reading. I always find something new in it.

Popular contemporary fiction just doesn't interest me any more. Most of it is poorly written and as a writer, it makes my brain hurt. Stephen King and I part ways on many topics but when it comes to adverbs, he's spot-on:

Adverbs … are words that modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs. They’re the ones that usually end in -ly. Adverbs, like the passive voice, seem to have been created with the timid writer in mind. … With adverbs, the writer usually tells us he or she is afraid he/she isn’t expressing himself/herself clearly, that he or she is not getting the point or the picture across.

Consider the sentence He closed the door firmly. It’s by no means a terrible sentence (at least it’s got an active verb going for it), but ask yourself if firmly really has to be there. You can argue that it expresses a degree of difference between He closed the door and He slammed the door, and you’ll get no argument from me … but what about context? What about all the enlightening (not to say emotionally moving) prose which came before He closed the door firmly? Shouldn’t this tell us how he closed the door? And if the foregoing prose does tell us, isn’t firmly an extra word? Isn’t it redundant?

Someone out there is now accusing me of being tiresome and anal-retentive. I deny it. I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. To put it another way, they’re like dandelions. If you have one on your lawn, it looks pretty and unique. If you fail to root it out, however, you find five the next day . . . fifty the day after that . . . and then, my brothers and sisters, your lawn is totally, completely, and profligately covered with dandelions. By then you see them for the weeds they really are, but by then it’s — GASP!! — too late.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
I love Stephen King, he really has a brilliant mind. I lost interest in his writing awhile back, but felt his books were more about how personalities respond to the unimaginable, as opposed to horror (mostly). After over a decade I am starting to read him again.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM

1,092 posts, read 834,549 times
Like some of you others, I have varied taste in reading matter. I am whatever is worse than an "avid" reader. Have been ever since I can remember. As a child in grade school, I loved the Scholastic type book fairs. (or whatever they were called in the mid 50's and & late. The first book that I paid for with my own money was a full color "Heidi." That all being said.....now that I am retired I have begun going to thrift stores & 2nd hand book stores & looking for the stuff I read as a child & teenage. Mark Twain, Mary Stewart, Beverly Cleary, etc. And something I sometimes wonder - I am I the only person who goes in these places & reads the blurbs on the back (synopsis of plot & characters) then buys whatver appeals to me??? I have come home with bios., insp., cook books, fiction - all in one purchase. Just finished:

Pursuit - Karen Robards
The Other Daughter - Lisa Gardner
Demon Rumm - Sandra Brown
Twenties Girl - Sophia Kinsella
Charming Lily - Fern Michaels
& a whole host of Debbie Macomber books.

Summer fluff!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM

306 posts, read 416,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phakt View Post
Retired 3 weeks back. Had a keen interest in Business, Management, Leadership books. But now, what is the use? Several good books are unread or half-read in these categories. But I have no will power left to finish these. Whom I am going to advise? No one from work approaches me, including those who pretended that they respected my views a lot.

How to let go of that experience and skills ? But, I am working on tuning myself to read more of fiction, philosophy. Hope that works out well. Meditations is one book. Several on investment philosophy on the rack. Let me see how to accept the change and fulfil my time to best possible.
How does this sound to you? You sound like someone who may have needed skills, talent and interest:

https://www.score.org

If not this group I am sure with the interests, skills and experience you have there is somewhere to put them to use!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 AM

306 posts, read 416,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There is a thread in the Entertainment/Books section of C-D that is awesome, both a Fiction and NonFiction.

My tastes are extremely eclectic, everything from books on my hobbies, historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy. Not big on murder mysteries or romance. I love books about general knowledge, like Byrson's A Short HIstory of Nearly Everything, Gladwell's What the Dog Saw, and Freakanomics.

I enjoyed all of Brysons books, some more than the others, but they are all filled with info and humor

Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
There is a group of volunteer retired business professionals that offers advice to small businesses, but I can't think what it's called. It would let you share your experience with people who will really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phakt View Post

Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I have been in a rut when it comes to what I have been reading. I have for the most part enjoyed what I read; however, story lines are more or less the same and I need to get a taste for something that might perk my interest, get me moving in a different direction.

I do not care for love stories. Have read them and enjoyed them; not anymore. Not interest in reading a sex scene. I knew a woman who used to say "if I can't be a participant, I don't want to be a spectator." All said in good humor, of course. Guess I feel same way.

Balducci, DeMille, Meltzer, Koontz, Jance, are just a few that I can recall. A lot of Washington DC type intrigue. Tess ??? who writes the Bones books/TV program. Tried reading Patricia Caldwell but I'm not crazy about gory stuff.

Some war, I have a rather thick book about Vietnam era that I have not read yet. I guess my interest is due to my age at the time of this war; also I have a cousin who was a Marine over there (came back alive, thank God).

I've tried to read some poetry but much of it is lost on me.

Thank you all for sharing what you are reading, plan to read, etc. I'm writing it down so I can check the list when I'm trying to decide my next read. Right now I have James Patterson to read; have read a few others by him a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement