Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I worked in DC-Metro, home of some of the longest commuting times in the US. After 10+ hours at work, I'd duck into a Safeway or Whole Foods to get something to take home, and I'd run into elderly retirees (some of whom I knew....they retired from my office!), bogging down the lines, writing a check, gabbing with cashiers after being home alone all day.

Same thing if I needed to mail a package at lunch....Post office full of retired people!

Try to get a reservation for a Saturday night and we'd be competing with people who could go out any night, not just the weekends.
So Friday or Saturday night at Coastal Flats is only for those still working? Is that what you mean? Sounds like schedule envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 02:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Oh geez. I get what he/she means. If you have a choice, why fight the crowds? It's not an age-related thing.

I had non-standard working hours for most of my life, and you can bet I did not choose to be out and about in traffic and avoided busy times in stores, etc.

It's a valid question, not a value judgment.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
My brother just retired and learned quickly to no longer go to Costco on a Saturday afternoon.

Most of us learn rather quickly the best times with the fewest crowds.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 PM

242 posts, read 231,429 times
Quote:
Or go to the grocery store at 5PM? Or the Post Office, bank or dry cleaners at lunch time?

Pet peeve of mine since my working days.

We retirees go out for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights because we want to. We also go out M-F because we can. Also, we stay out late because we don't have to go to work the next day. Life is grand!

Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
People can do whatever they want. As for me I hate crowds. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near a restaurant on the weekend.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Or go to the grocery store at 5PM? Or the Post Office, bank or dry cleaners at lunch time?

Pet peeve of mine since my working days.
How do you know they're retirees? I highly doubt they're wearing a sign that says they're retired. Why shouldn't retirees go out to dinner any night of the week they choose? Why shouldn't they go to the grocery store at 5pm? Maybe they discovered they are out an item they need for the dinner they're preparing or they don't have any idea what they want for dinner that night. Why shouldn't they go to the post office, bank, or dry cleaners during lunch time? Maybe they just had lunch with someone and are running their errands after the lunch. The world doesn't revolve around you. People have the same rights as you. Get over yourself.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Guess I didn't get the memo. I go shopping on a weekday morning, so I don't have to run into crowds, and rarely go out to dinner.

Rule #6 - never ever ever go to Costco (whatever that is), Walmart, or Sams Club on a Saturday.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:18 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
I used to have the same issue with haircuts. The only day I could go to my barber was Saturday but it was always crowded with retirees clogging up the works. Why couldn't they get their haircut on some other day?

Now that I work for myself I have a more flexible schedule. Now, when I go for my haircut on a weekday afternoon, I have a different issue. All these darn children are clogging up my barbershop with their mothers dropping them off after skool. Why can't I win?

Old 06-18-2017, 04:19 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I second what was said about Costco on a weekend. They pass out free food samples and it appears that some families bring their kids there for a free lunch. Walking around eating finger foods, licking those fingers, then pushing the cart with sticky hands.

When I was younger we lived in an area that has lots of snowbirds in winter. It would drive me crazy how they would go to the grocery store together, stopping every few feet to "visit" with friends and blocking the aisle, obvious to people like me, a busy mother with no time to waste.

Now retired, my husband and I sometimes go to the grocery store together but we always split the list and go our separate ways, meeting up at checkout.

I am mindful of the things that drove me crazy about old people when I was young and now that I am older try to avoid these behaviors.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I'm wondering how the OP can determine who is, and isn't, retired.

Or are you just against old(er) people in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement