Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 03:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

My husband and I went to the movies the other night. The seats reclined and my husband mentioned he liked that.

An actual recliner takes up a lot of room but is there any piece that would recline that would not?

It's been years since I've looked at furniture.

Also, with a pet, is it safe to have one of these?

I'm thinking men love the recliners but the women not so much? True or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 03:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband and I went to the movies the other night. The seats reclined and my husband mentioned he liked that.

An actual recliner takes up a lot of room but is there any piece that would recline that would not?

We bought a Stressless Ekornes recliner that has a leg rest under the chair. You operate the leg rest via battery.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:43 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:

I'm a woman. I have had a reclining sofa and loveseat for 20 years. I love them. Why would a woman not like recliners?

Old 01-10-2022, 03:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
They’re much less bulky than they used to be.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We bought a Stressless Ekornes recliner that has a leg rest under the chair. You operate the leg rest via battery.
We have 2 of the Ekornes that recline but w/ottoman for 25+ years, love them, they're comfortable and indestructible. I'm sure the battery operated ones are similar. Pricey but worth it.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:47 PM

810 posts, read 871,229 times
Quote:

Bette, recliners come in several versions: the regular recliner and what's called a "wall hugger" recliner or "wall recliner". My mother only bought wall huggers because they don't have to sit in the middle of the room in order to recline, they can sit close to the wall. They look the same as a regular recliner but the mechanism is designed differently so the back doesn't bang into the wall. Very comfortable for watching TV. I know as many women as men who like recliners. Hard to beat for their comfort. As to pets, my mother had a cat who sat on her lap in the recliner, and never had any issues. Hope this helps.

ps. There are many companies who make them, including La-Z-Boy.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Those recliners in the theatre were probably made in Mexico by a company owned by a guy I once knew. They're a pretty decent product to stand up to the abuse that theatres give.

There are recliners that are designed to fit up tight to a wall and then extend out forward, if you are concerned about space. Quality is all over the place. There are sub- $300 chairs that are junk, ones between $400 and $500 that are OK... but you have to test them for fit and comfort. Then there are the Lazy Boy top of the line at about $2000 that have motorized lumbar support, motorized neck support, memory positions for different users, battery operation, cordless remote with finder function, choice of fabric, and an optional upgrade of the stuffing. Wait time to get one made is two to three months.

Pets. That can be a problem if one tries to get under the chair. Skirting helps some, the pet spray-away products might help, but you want to be watchful, at least at first.

"Lift" chairs are not particularly recommended for regular people as use tends to weaken muscles.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:58 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
The down side to a wall hugging recliner is that the back doesn't go down that far-the leg part goes out.

Unless they've changed that since I bought one which is possible. My back for some reason started hating recliners a few years ago. My back is the boss. I got a glider.

I will add IMHO you get what you pay for in recliners, furniture generally actually. If it's not going to be used that much, cheap is fine. If it's the chair that gets used every day buy quality, meaning not cheap.

Not sure why people think women hate recliners unless the rumor was started by men who want to hog them for themselves.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Default Thank you for the suggestions!

It's been so many years since I've been furniture shopping. I know nothing about these.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
We just purchased a theater recliner from Sam’s Club. It’s firm, which I prefer, and has cup holders, storage and an USB charging port built-in. All are features I desired due a young, rambunctious puppy who tends to knock over cups and make off with remotes. Lol I don’t think it takes up an inordinate amount of space but it is a recliner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement